Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Up-date on Pam's stolen Security Number.
11/9/2005 1:21:21 PM
Hello everyone. Thank you for all the messages about Pam's Security number problems. Here is the latest from the Police. The young lady in question who stole her identity, just happens to be the receptionist of our new Dentist. Some of you may know that we recently joined a new practise & both of us had root canal surgery done last Saturday. (5th Nov) Little did we know then, that it was actually the Dentists receptionist who had stolen & used Pam's security number & opened a credit card in Pam's name & hers. It appears that she made out that she was Pam when applying for the card from one of the major EXPENSIVE! mall company's. She also applied for a card for a 'friend' (herself) at the same time. It was a stroke of luck that the cards where delivered to us & not to her.... The police detective informed us that she was now in custody & that this young lady had stolen a lot of the dentists patients security numbers, as well as some of the staff who worked there. One thing that really has got under my skin about this whole thing is the ease of how she could apply for these credit cards, posing as a number of different women in different locations. Somehow, the ease of getting 'credit' must be changed, at least some sort of picture ID should be required. I know getting false ID's & false driving licence's is quite an easy matter, but it would be another expensive step that the criminal would have to make to carry out this type of crime. Also, a second form of confirmation should be sent to the security number's owner to verify this transaction before credit cards are issued. At the least if the picture ID had been used, then the person who so eagerly took the application (who gets a commision for each new sign-up) might have realised that a 20 something African American did not look anything like a (Over 30 I had better say) Caucasian American. Our attorney has informed us today (as well as the police detective) that this sort of crime is now at a 2-1 ratio, so that means that even if you have not personall had this happen (yet) your partner, spouse or someone in your family WILL have this happen to them. To think we worry about purchasing products & items on the Internet (odds are 1-5,000 of fraud) when just getting a new dentist, or paying for a meal, getting junk food, or any other form of purchase in the 'brick & mortar world' gives you a one in two chance of having your identity stolen...... Sorry if I have gone on a bit here, but it has made me somewhat angry, specially as she may have 'sold' my information on to some one else.........
+0
Re: Up-date on Pam's stolen Security Number.
11/9/2005 1:47:20 PM
You have every right to be angry! I do not give my social security number to ANYONE! If some one asks me for it (like doctor or dentist) and there is no legal requirement for it, I refuse and then leave the office. For every one out there: Your social security number is not required for insurance, to get medical and dental services. There is no reason they would need to get a credit check on you for medical purposes...especially if you are paying with cash, an already owned credit card or insurance. In the state of Arizona (fraud capital, USA) it is actually ILLEGAL to require a social security number for these services. Another tip for those who live in states with this option: NEVER allow your SSN to be used as your ID or driver's license number! There are far too many bad people out there, so be dilligent in protecting your identity. Kate McCrea
Kate McCrea Black Cat Originals Will Bring Your Fashion Vision To Life! http://www.blackcatoriginals.com
+0
11/9/2005 2:06:01 PM
Kate. That my friend is an Excellant piece of advice. I'm glad to see that Arizona is so forward thinking in their fight on fraud, it's a pity that more States are not. Your security friend in Las Vegas.
+0
Beverly Armstrong

385 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
11/9/2005 2:38:31 PM
I suspected it was recent, mine was at a local grocery store! Needless to say I will shop elsewhere until they manage to screen their employees more carefully. I was alerted by Dell who knew me well, that someone was attempting to by a complete system and that the destination was Detroit which they knew was not my address. Therefore the damage was not as extensive as it could have been. But everyone is not as alert as Dell, although they are getting better. So some major purchases ran down the pike unheeded. Because I had spent the last 7 years trying to clear some of my credit problems brought on by an errant husband (He had a card but I was the primary) it has been tough! Add ill health to the mix and well ... I am going on also am not? :) Sorry!
Beverly Armstrong NC., Health & Website Consultant, Trainer, Writer & Entreprenuer, Network Marketing & Tutorials http://networkingblogs.blogspot.com http://gender-differences-in-networking.blogspot.com
+0
11/9/2005 2:51:07 PM
Hi MsBeverly. Glad that DELL was on the ball. Yes, you have to be so very careful when purchasing anything these days. Makes me wish for the old day's when, if you did not have the cash, you did not buy it... It seems in this day & age, a bit of plastic is all thats needed to run your whole life (& get you into debt) Wonder what bright spark thought that whole concept up, surely not the credit card company's??????? Were things so much more simple & easier in our younger day's, or am I just remembering things wearing rose tinted spectacles again? Your security friend in Las Vegas.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!