Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Article: Poor Tom Just Can't Get A Break. You Won't Make This Mistake, Will You?
11/7/2005 9:58:54 PM
Tom had a rough start on life. He didn't even learn how to talk until he was almost four years old. Tom didn't do so well at school, either. 12 weeks into the first grade, his teacher called his mother and said Tom wasn't fit for mainstream schooling. Politically correct speaking wasn't the rage yet, so when the teacher used the phrase "addled mind," Tom's mother was enraged and indignant, and decided to teach her son at home. As a boy, young Tom was hawking newspapers at a train station when someone hit him in the side of the head, knocking him to the ground. Not long after that, Tom came down with Scarlet Fever. He completely lost his hearing shortly after. Was it the blow to the head or the scarlet fever? No one was too sure, but Tom was deaf - and only 14 years old. Tom wasn't allowed to enter college, either, because he lacked a formal education. Poor Tom just couldn't get a break. It probably wouldn't surprise you one little bit if I said that Tom was miserable, dejected and poor. It probably wouldn't surprise you if I said everything Tom did failed miserably. But, that would be a lie. In Tom's lifetime, he set a world record for filing 1,093 patents for the things he invented. Like the light bulb, for example. In 1892, his home grown company, Edison General Electric Co. merged with another firm to become G.E. (General Electric) Corporation. Maybe you've heard of it? Did you know that it had taken Tom 10,000 tries before he created a working light bulb? He was asked, once, if he was frustrated at not seeing results. His reply was; "Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand things that won't work." What an attitude! Hailed world-wide as "The wizard of Menlo Park", "The father of the electrical age," and "The greatest inventor who ever lived," Thomas Edison filed his 1,093rd patent at 83 years of age. He was denied a standard education first, lost his hearing, and was denied a college education. The one thing no one could take away from Tom was his attitude. -- He said that failure is a step towards success because every failure eliminates one more thing that doesn't work. -- He said he does not get discouraged because he knows every wrong attempt is a step forward. -- He even said that going deaf improved his concentration because he would not be disrupted by noise. But, perhaps most poignantly, he said; Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up. You won't make that mistake, will you?
NOTE:
Can you guess why I've posted this article in a "profit" oriented forum? Comments? What did the article make you feel?
+0
Re: Article: Poor Tom Just Can't Get A Break. You Won't Make This Mistake, Will You?
11/7/2005 10:40:58 PM
Hi Linda, How about learning from you mistakes? Persistence? Believing in yourself? Picking yourself up & dusting off the backside & starting again? Using even life's "negatives" to make a positive statement? Seeing a setback as a challenge, not a defeat? Thanks!
+0
Angela Cardwell

819 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Article: Poor Tom Just Can't Get A Break. You Won't Make This Mistake, Will You?
11/7/2005 10:50:54 PM
Hi Linda, I didn't even realize your form existed. Glad I found it! Enjoyed the story. Brilliant to say the least. Makes one think about the "giving up" factor. I will never give up. Am in this for the long haul. My motto: Nothing is too difficult and anything can be achieved. That is, I think the biggest downfall of all opportunities. People begin...try..a little, then give up. You can never give up. Been there, done that. Finally I am more 'focused' and you have something to do with that. I love your wisdom and your newsletters. Here's to Linda, your alright in my book, Angela
Earn Money Shopping OnlineIt's free, simple and secure.
+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/7/2005 10:59:18 PM
Hi Linda, I had read a biography of Edison many years ago, thanks for reminding me of his story. Your Friend Deborah
BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0