Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Tell me about your Country, City, State
1/17/2006 2:19:53 AM
Thanks so much for the opportunity to post a few things I've done in my travels. I'll try not to make this sound like a biography, but I'd love to share it if you can tolerate it! I was born and raised in southwestern Kentucky- near Ft Campbell (about an hour to Nashville)until I joined the Air Force. Others were joining the Army and seeing Viet Nam, I joined the AF and saw Texas. Lived in San Antonio-worked at the big hospital at Lackland AFB. Came back to Kentucky after 4 years and went to school at Murray State University-was a police officer in Murray for about 3 years- ended up going back into the Air Force for another 10 years. Lived in Biloxi, Ms- Clovis, NM; 3 years in Germany;another year in San Antonio and then finished my career out as an AF Recruiter in Evansville, In/Henderson, Ky. Although Ky has been my mainstay, I have lived in Ft Myers, Fl, Chattanooga, Tn, Tunica, Ms, and now- On beautiful Kentucky Lake about an hour west of my hometown. Funny how the big circle just keeps coming back around, huh? Kentucky is a beautiful state. I live on Ky Lake(Tenn. River)and within 5 minutes of the LBL(Land Between the Lakes)National Park. Numerous State parks surround us, lots of fishing and boating- fishing tournaments of every shape and size. My hometown is Hopkinsville- home of the famous "Sleeping Prophet", Edgar Cayce. Ten miles from there is the home of Jefferson Davis, Only President of the Confederate States. There is a huge monument there- looks just like the Washington monument in Wash D.C. Also, Hoptown (as we warmly call it) plays host to Ft.Campbell, Ky- Home of the 101st AirBorne Division and the 82nd Airborne Division of the U.S.Army. The Army Post plays an important role in the local economy and offers quite the cultural mix you wouldn't expect for a small town in western Ky. Ky has so much more to offer- from the only plant where Corvettes are manufactured (Bowling Green) to beautiful Churchill Downs, home of the Kentucky Derby. Also Louisville is home to Cassius Clay aka Muhammid Ali, and then you have the lush rolling hills of "horse country" in the Lexington area. Since the season isn't going so well, I won't mention the Univ. of Ky Wildcats (Numerous National Champions). We are also proud of our great heritage in the Appalachian region- rich in natural resources from natural beauty of our various state parks to the coal mining areas that continually mine that treasured fuel so needed to sustain us- coal. If you looked at a topographical map of Ky you would see mountains in the east, beautiful rolling hills in the central, and fairly flat (river basin-type) in the far west- all totally covered in trees and other magnificent vegetation. I have noticed in my travels in our country and around the world that no matter where you go, the people are the same. Met wonderful people in Amsterdam, Interlaken, Switzerland, numerous small villages in Germany, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, as well as all across our great country. Kentucky isn't a lot different than a lot of places I've been - BUT, it is home and has a bunch of the nicest people anywhere on earth. Good-hearted and hard working. I suppose that is the biggest reason I like calling it my "home state". Ya'll come visit us sometime, you will enjoy your stay. Clay
+0
Kathy Clark

172 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Tell me about your Country, City, State
1/17/2006 2:41:46 AM
WoW Clay, You write a great commentary on KY. I have visited in Ky and it is a beautiful place. Would love to go to the Ky Derby sometime. My first husband and father of my 3 boys is from Owensboro, KY. They were Tobacco farmers. I met him in Alaska while he was in the AirForce at Elmendorf AFB. My second husband and final one, was also in the AirForce. Like you, all his friends were joining the army, but he chose the AF. He spent 23 years and retired. He retired in 73. Looks like you have seen the world. I am envious. Would love to see France, and Germany.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!