Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Best Forum Award Winner for AUGUST 2009 is...
9/17/2009 6:04:14 PM

Hi Luis Miguel,

I know how we all like coincidences!  Here's another big one:

I checked out a book from the library last Saturday, "The Comforts of a Muddy Saturday" by Alexander McCall Smith, it's the 5th book in a mystery fiction series about a female philosophy editor in Scotland who also helps people with problems because she's naturally snoopy.  The book actually mentions Jan Breughel the Elder, AND the painting "Rest on the Flight into Egypt", on pages 161-162, (it says the oak tree is supposed to be the main feature) and also mentions Jan the younger, and Pieter Brueghel.  This book is mystery/romantic-fiction, not about art, even though they mention art in most books of this series.

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/17/2009 6:26:30 PM

Well Kathleen, they do not amaze me any more, especially after the many incredible coincidences that have been occurring of late to several of my friends here, including you, Branka, Roger, and of course me. But I will admit  these you are mentioning now are eerie.

But, is the painting  "Rest on the Flight into Egypt" mentioned as painted by Jan Brueghel the Elder? Because the version I posted here was painted by Caravaggio, not by him. Even so (or perhaps all the more if so) the coincidence would be extraordinary!

Miguel

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/17/2009 6:59:36 PM

Hi again LM!

Yes, the painting mentioned in the book was by Jan Brueghel the Elder. 

+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/17/2009 10:18:09 PM

Hi again Kathleen,

If I were a supersticious guy, then I would think Jan Brueghel the Elder is saying that I could have posted his Rest on the Flight to Egypt better than Caravaggio's.

I have tried to download a full image of Jan's version, but my PC has not allowed it on the grounds that it would need a Java component that might harm it. Now the only version of it that I have in my archives is the one below, actually a detail only for all its massive size here; but it will do as we can perfectly see by it that it is a completely different conception from that of Caravaggio.

Jan Bruegher the Elder - Forest Landscape (The Rest on the Flight to Egypt), detail

How do you like it?

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/17/2009 10:47:45 PM

Oh, now THAT's a TREE!  But there's no semi-nude angel.  Oh well!  Thanks very much for finding Breughel and posting it!

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!