Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
PHILOXENIA: Native Spirit: CHIEF SEATTLE'S NOBLE WORDS
4/15/2009 4:23:16 AM

"Noble Words From A Noble Savage"

Today I decided to share a great speech by a Native American wise leader. This speech is maybe one of the best lessons I ever seen. White man used his power to make a fortune. The "savages" lived in haramony with nature.

In 1851 Seattle, chief Seattle of the Suquamish and
other Indian tribes around Washington's Puget Sound, delivered what is considered to be one of the most beautiful and profound environmental statements ever made.

The city of Seattle is named for the chief, whose speech was in response to a proposed treaty under which the Indians were persuaded to sell two million acres of land for $150,000".

"HOW CAN ONE SELL THE AIR"

Click above (Nice Video clip)

CHIEF SEATTLE'S LETTER

TO PRESIDENT FRANKLIN PIERCE

The President in Washington sends word that he wishes to buy our land. But how can you buy or sell the sky? the land? The idea is strange to us. If we do not own the freshness of the air and the sparkle of the water, how can you buy them?

Every part of the earth is sacred to my people. Every shining pine needle, every sandy shore, every mist in the dark woods, every meadow, every humming insect. All are holy in the memory and experience of my people.

We know the sap which courses through the trees as we know the blood that courses through our veins. We are part of the earth and it is part of us. The perfumed flowers are our sisters. The bear, the deer, the great eagle, these are our brothers. The rocky crests, the dew in the meadow, the body heat of the pony, and man all belong to the same family.

The shining water that moves in the streams and rivers is not just water, but the blood of our ancestors. If we sell you our land, you must remember that it is sacred. Each glossy reflection in the clear waters of the lakes tells of events and memories in the life of my people. The water's murmur is the voice of my father's father. The rivers are our brothers. They quench our thirst. They carry our canoes and feed our children. So you must give the rivers the kindness that you would give any brother.

If we sell you our land, remember that the air is precious to us, that the air shares its spirit with all the life that it supports. The wind that gave our grandfather his first breath also received his last sigh. The wind also gives our children the spirit of life. So if we sell our land, you must keep it apart and sacred, as a place where man can go to taste the wind that is sweetened by the meadow flowers.

Will you teach your children what we have taught our children? That the earth is our mother? What befalls the earth befalls all the sons of the earth.

This we know: the earth does not belong to man, man belongs to the earth. All things are connected like the blood that unites us all. Man did not weave the web of life, he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself.

One thing we know: our God is also your God. The earth is precious to him and to harm the earth is to heap contempt on its creator.

Your destiny is a mystery to us. What will happen when the buffalo are all slaughtered? The wild horses tamed? What will happen when the secret corners of the forest are heavy with the scent of many men and the view of the ripe hills is blotted with talking wires? Where will the thicket be? Gone! Where will the eagle be? Gone! And what is to say goodbye to the swift pony and then hunt? The end of living and the beginning of survival.

When the last red man has vanished with this wilderness, and his memory is only the shadow of a cloud moving across the prairie, will these shores and forests still be here? Will there be any of the spirit of my people left?

We love this earth as a newborn loves its mother's heartbeat. So, if we sell you our land, love it as we have loved it. Care for it, as we have cared for it. Hold in your mind the memory of the land as it is when you receive it. Preserve the land for all children, and love it, as God loves us.

As we are part of the land, you too are part of the land. This earth is precious to us. It is also precious to you.

One thing we know - there is only one God. No man, be he Red man or White man, can be apart. We are all brothers after all.

Visit PHILOXENIA-NING
PHILOXENIA
* Philoxenia means friendship to foreigners or hospitality to strangers
Click above

Kindly Regards

Georgios

ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: PHILOXENIA: Native Spirit: CHIEF SEATTLE'S NOBLE WORDS
4/15/2009 4:24:09 AM

THE BEAUTY OF NATIVE AMERICA

NATIVE AMERICAN TRIBES
The map below shows the most known Indian tribes

in North America

PEOPLE OF GREAT SPIRIT

click above

The Lakota, members of the family of the Great Sioux Nation of North America, have a very rich spirituality and a deep respect for all life, visible and invisible.The word Lakota means "considered friends" or "alliance of friends".

The Lakota Way

Click above

MUSTANG HORSES

Mustang ponies, also known as Spanish or American Indian horses,

were once the ideal horse of choice for cowboys. Mustang horses

once ran wild on the entirety of the western plains.

Native Indian Flutes

click above

WILD HORSES

Wild horses was always expression for freedom for me. I have a big amrk on my head. I fell riding in full gallop a 4 years stallion without a saddle. Today we have few flocks of wild horses (mustangs) in America, in French Riviera and in Mongolia.

Click above -Nice American song

WISE LEADERS WITH SPIRIT

So beautiful music from a beautiful culture. Let the eagle fly again, in waves of prosperity for all living creatures.Hear the drums beat, the flutes to touch your inner and listen to your heart.

DRUMS AND FLUTES

Click above

ARCTIC-LED PRAYER

Creator (of all names) we give you thanks for our wonderful creation. You are related to everything you made. We are asking you with one voice to help us renew Mother Earth. Give us strength to respect one-another, like brothers and sisters, to help your creation. The Power of Your voice is like lightening. With your great power we can wake up and be true Earth Guardians.

O men and women of the earth. Please humbly pray with the holy ones for all our wildlife: including our polar bears, fish, birds, as well as return of the bees. For all our water, soil, rain, snow and ice. People all over the earth need fresh air to breath, water to drink, and foods that nurture. Send your good spirit upon every country, Creator.

GHOST DANCE

Click above

WE BLESS MOTHER GAEA
MEDICIN FOR MOTHER EARTH

Click above

Visit PHILOXENIA-NING
PHILOXENIA
Click above
Georgios

+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/15/2009 4:25:43 AM
THE RED MAN
HAD GREAT HEROES TOO

"HOW CAN ONE SELL THE AIR"
Chief Seattle

Click above (Nice Video clip)

CRAZY HORSE

The Crazy Horse Memorial, carved out of a mountain in the Black Hills, will certainly remind us that “the red man had great heroes, too” — as Chief Standing Bear of the Lakota Sioux intended it to — but it will also conjure all the fierce brutality and shameless injustice of American history, the kind of bloodstains that are scrubbed off our most well-known monuments.

Clickk above

The image of Crazy Horse is at once a symbol for the many virtues of the Native Americans and for the many savage sins of the United States.

THE LEGEND CRAZY HORSE

You took his land and you ate his corn, and on his grave your land was born.
You took his pride and you fed him dirt, you wished him winter without a shirt and you called this red man SAVAGE!

And after you crushed him you helped him up, to let him drink from an empty cup. You gave him that Navy without the fleet, and made him lick your hands and kiss your feet, and you named this mad dog SAVAGE!

Well I found a book the other day, so I looked up red and white to see what'd say. One was a savage, the other unlearned, like a look in the mirror the tables were turned....for history has named you--SAVAGE!

Click above

SITTING BULL

Sitting Bull (Ta-Tanka I-Yotank, also nicknamed Slon-he", 1831-1890) was a Hunkpapa Lakota Sioux holy man, born near the Grand River in South Dakota and killed by reservation police on the Standing Rock Indian Reservation during an attempt to arrest him and prevent him from supporting the Ghost Dance movement.

He is notable in American and Native American history for his role in the major victory at the Battle of the Little Bighorn against Lt. Col. George Armstrong Custer and the U.S. 7th Cavalry Regiment on June 25, 1876, where Sitting Bull's premonition of defeating the cavalry became reality. In the months after the battle, Sitting Bull fled the United States to Wood Mountain, Saskatchewan, Canada, where he remained until 1881, at which time he surrendered to American forces.

Sitting BUll

Click above

Visit PHILOXENIA-NING
PHILOXENIA
Click above

Kindly Regards

Georgios

Click above

The Red Man Had Great Heroes
The Crazy Horse Memorial, carved out of a mountain in the Black Hills, will certainly remind us that “the red man had great heroes, too” — as Chief Standing Bear of the Lakota Sioux intended it to — but it will also conjure all the fierce brutality and shameless injustice of American history, the kind of bloodstains that are scrubbed off our most well-known monuments. The image of Crazy Horse is at once a symbol for the many virtues of the Native Americans and for the many savage sins of the United States.

Click above

Visit Philoxenia-Ning
PHILOXENIA
Click above
Georgios

+0
4/15/2009 6:24:19 AM

Hello Georgios

Thank You for another beautiful forum. The lesson learned here is a valuable one indeed. It is amazing how much foresight the native American's.

One sentence that stands out for me is  " the end of living and the beginning of survival ". This is exactly what has happened to us. We are out of harmony with everything that is important to life. With nature, with our fellow man and with our very spirit. To just survive is what is utmost on many peoples mind now days. Actual living is a distant memory.
May a smile follow you to sleep each night and,,,,,be there waiting,,,,,when you awaken http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/8212/ShowForum.aspx Sincerely, Billdaddy
+0
Dimitra Bravou

1603 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/15/2009 9:52:16 AM
Hello Georgios,

Thank you for sharing this incredible speech with us.

I wish our children could learn this in their schools and our governors to have it on their walls (like a picture) so they everyday can read it again and again.

It is so sad that most or even all of us have forgotten our roots. The meaning of the nature is now only in poems and pictures. We are about to have our environment completely destroyed due to our actions. The children in cities don't even know what nature really is and what's the meaning of it for their lives. They think that all these buildings and roads made from concrete and asphalt is their true environment and it was always there. They don't even imagine which are the advantages of keeping in good condition everything that is a part of nature : fields, rivers, lakes, air, mountains, trees, grass, animals, insects, birds, fish etc. The voice of a few sensitised people never comes to the ears of those who are responsible for the destruction of the environment. Past generations delivered to us a healthy Earth and our generation will pass to the new people a place for aliens.

God bless us all and most our children.

Dimitra

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!