Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
The above was all said by a high official in the PLO, so Israel can't be "blamed" for passing on false information.

Shalom,

Peter

Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Human Shields In Gaza- Hamas Accused Of Torture
1/30/2009 9:07:14 AM

Hello Friends,

I am a bit confused. there can be no instance when Israeli soldiers and Hamas terrorists are raiding a house  together. You must have made a mistake there.

As a point of interest. Israeli soldiers are under strict orders to treat civilians with decency and any that are found delinquent in their behavior are court marshaled and imprisoned.

You might find the following articles interesting. One is by reuters and the other by Al Jazerria.

Hamas accused of torture death of Gaza critic

Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:45pm EST

(Updates with Hamas interior ministry statement, paras 13-14)

GAZA, Jan 29 (Reuters) - A Palestinian has accused Islamist Hamas militants in control of the Gaza Strip of torturing and killing his brother for publicly criticising them.

Osama Atallah, a teacher, was a supporter of the Fatah movement of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas. Hamas fighters drove Fatah militia out of Gaza in 2007 and fought Israel's army in a three-week war this month.

His brother, Bassam, said on Thursday that masked gunmen in two jeeps had arrived at the family home in the Gaza City on Tuesday. They identified themselves as members of Hamas internal security and arrested his brother Osama.

Bassam said the Hamas security service told the Atallah family that Osama would be released in a matter of hours. But a Hamas government official, who is also a member of the Atallah family, later denied the teacher was in custody.

The family subsequently received a telephone call from hospital that Osama Atallah was in critical condition.

He later died of his wounds.

About 1,300 Palestinians were killed in Israel's 22-day offensive of whom more than 700 were civilians, according to a Gaza human rights group. Ten Israeli soldiers were killed, including four in "friendly fire" incidents.

Ibrahim Abu An-Naja, a senior Fatah leader in the Gaza Strip, was quoted in a statement as saying four to eight members of Fatah were killed by Hamas during the war with Israel.

The statement said Abu An-Naja declined to give names. He said Hamas gunmen has fired on members of Fatah and shot them in the legs, and some had been placed under house arrest.

Fatah sources said Osama Atallah, a Fatah activist, had been threatened by Hamas "because of his public and continued criticism of the performance of the Hamas militias in Gaza".

They accused Hamas of "severely torturing and then strangling" Osama Atallah. They said bullets in his body could have been fired after he died.

Ehab al-Ghsain, the Hamas interior ministry spokesman said the Fatah accusations were being investigated and that once the results were known any guilty party would be held accountable.

The Israeli daily Haaretz reported on Thursday that Hamas "executed several dozen civilians" during and after Israel's assault on Gaza. Some were Fatah members but others were not politically affiliated, the paper said.

Haaretz quoted an Israeli intelligence source as saying a number of Palestinian agents working for Israel were intercepted by Hamas "because the intelligence they provided was used carelessly" by commanders intent on minimising troop casualties.

"It appears that in most cases Hamas suspected that their victims had collaborated with Israeli intelligence," it said.

Hamas in Gaza has not confirmed killing collaborators. But an Arab newspaper has carried a statement by an exiled Hamas official saying that the group had killed several.

The accuracy of some Israeli air strikes against individual militants in buildings, or against snipers shooting at Israeli forces, depended on the help of agents on the ground, according to some Palestinian security sources.

Haaretz said Israeli commanders with troops in Gaza were "very impressed that (intelligence services) could warn them with great precision of developments in their proximity". (Additional reporting by Ali Sawafta in Ramallah; writing by Nidal al-Mughrabi and Douglas Hamilton; editing by Angus MacSwan)

I recommend that you watch the video clip. You might need to sign up for the service but it's free and takes a minute to do.
THE MIDDLE EAST MEDIA RESEARCH INSTITUTE

Special Dispatch - No. 2217

January 28, 2009 No. 2217

PLO Executive Committee Secretary Yasser Abd Rabbo Accuses Hamas of New Atrocities Against Fatah Members in Gaza
Following are excerpts from speeches delivered by PLO Executive Committee secretary Yasser Abd Rabbo, which aired on Al-Jazeera TV on January 22, 2009 and on Al-Arabiya TV on January 16, 2009.

TO VIEW THIS CLIP AND OTHERS, YOU MUST LOG IN/REGISTER FOR MEMRI TV, AT http://subscriptions.memri.org/content/en/member_registr_tv.htm. REGISTRATION IS FREE OF CHARGE.

To view this clip, visit http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/1998.htm

Al-Jazeera TV, January 22, 2009: "Today, Hamas Gangs Are Unleashed Like Packs of Animals on the Streets of Gaza Against Fatah Members"

Yasser Abd Rabbo: "Yesterday, we heard Khaled Mash'al talking from Damascus about new, additional preconditions for national reconciliation - the only goal of which is to hinder the achievement of reconciliation.

[...]

"Today, Hamas gangs are unleashed like packs of animals on the streets of Gaza against Fatah members. Because the military bases and the prisons have been destroyed, they have turned Gaza schools, Al-Nasser Hospital, the radiology department at Shifa' Hospital, Al-Aqsa University, and other places, including mosques, into centers for the detention, interrogation, and torture of Fatah members and members of other national Palestinian factions.

[...]

"Dozens of people have been shot in the leg, been beaten savagely, and had their bones broken, because they are members of the Fatah movement, which took to the streets of Gaza to confront the occupation, leaving all disagreements [with Hamas] behind, during the battle against the invasion by the Israeli occupation. This is what is happening today in Gaza.

[...]

"This reminds me of the 'glorious exploits' of Chemical Ali in southern Iraq after the 1991 'Mother of All Wars.' When the smoke of battle cleared, he turned his gangs and his fire against the Iraqis in southern Iraq, and the massacre that ensued is known to all. Who is the 'Chemical' today in Gaza, who wants to turn Gaza into the venue of a new massacre?

[...]

"I heard that Abu Marzouq is sanctioning the killing of Palestinians, in an interview with the Qatari Al-Sharq newspaper the day before yesterday. He said that they have [captured] collaborators, and they have already executed some, while others await their turn. What collaborators are you talking about, Mr. Abu Marzouq? Of course he has expanded the list, saying that anyone who criticizes the policy of Hamas a traitor and a collaborator, and that it is okay to kill him. Is this the promised Islamic rule, or is it a blood-soaked lie about Islam?

[...]

"Who plunders the trucks bringing aid to the Gaza Strip, and distributes it only among the follows of its party and movement, while the children of Gaza are starving? Who is stealing the land of Gaza, dividing it into lots, and giving them to the cronies of Hamas members of the Shura Council?" [...]

Al-Arabiya TV, January 16, 2009: "[Hamas] Still Has a Backward Understanding of the Meaning of a Popular Mandate"

"[Hamas] still has a backward understanding of the meaning of a popular mandate. A popular mandate does not mean that the people places its fate in your hands for you to do as you wish - to drag it into wars and destruction, without taking anything into consideration

[...]

"What came out of the Doha 'festival' except for speeches lecturing us, and peddling the blood of Gaza. Each of the regimes that were present there is domestically defeated for one reason or another. I don't want to get into specifics regarding each regime, but one of them carried out a military coup, another has a problem with the International Criminal Court, and the others have different problems."

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Human Shields In Gaza - Hamas Accused Of Torturing Palestinians
1/30/2009 9:15:55 AM

Sorry Friends, something seems to have cut off the last part of my previous post. So I'm reposting the second part of the last post.

I recommend that you watch the video. You have to sign up for the service but it takes less then a minute to do so.

Everything in the video is said by a high official of the PLO and he actually explains the Hamas from their perspective and it isn't far from what we think.

Shalom,

Peter

THE MIDDLE EAST MEDIA RESEARCH INSTITUTE

Special Dispatch - No. 2217

January 28, 2009 No. 2217

PLO Executive Committee Secretary Yasser Abd Rabbo Accuses Hamas of New Atrocities Against Fatah Members in Gaza
Following are excerpts from speeches delivered by PLO Executive Committee secretary Yasser Abd Rabbo, which aired on Al-Jazeera TV on January 22, 2009 and on Al-Arabiya TV on January 16, 2009.

TO VIEW THIS CLIP AND OTHERS, YOU MUST LOG IN/REGISTER FOR MEMRI TV, AT http://subscriptions.memri.org/content/en/member_registr_tv.htm. REGISTRATION IS FREE OF CHARGE.

To view this clip, visit http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/1998.htm.

Al-Jazeera TV, January 22, 2009: "Today, Hamas Gangs Are Unleashed Like Packs of Animals on the Streets of Gaza Against Fatah Members"

Yasser Abd Rabbo: "Yesterday, we heard Khaled Mash'al talking from Damascus about new, additional preconditions for national reconciliation - the only goal of which is to hinder the achievement of reconciliation.

[...]

"Today, Hamas gangs are unleashed like packs of animals on the streets of Gaza against Fatah members. Because the military bases and the prisons have been destroyed, they have turned Gaza schools, Al-Nasser Hospital, the radiology department at Shifa' Hospital, Al-Aqsa University, and other places, including mosques, into centers for the detention, interrogation, and torture of Fatah members and members of other national Palestinian factions.

[...]

"Dozens of people have been shot in the leg, been beaten savagely, and had their bones broken, because they are members of the Fatah movement, which took to the streets of Gaza to confront the occupation, leaving all disagreements [with Hamas] behind, during the battle against the invasion by the Israeli occupation. This is what is happening today in Gaza.

[...]

"This reminds me of the 'glorious exploits' of Chemical Ali in southern Iraq after the 1991 'Mother of All Wars.' When the smoke of battle cleared, he turned his gangs and his fire against the Iraqis in southern Iraq, and the massacre that ensued is known to all. Who is the 'Chemical' today in Gaza, who wants to turn Gaza into the venue of a new massacre?

[...]

"I heard that Abu Marzouq is sanctioning the killing of Palestinians, in an interview with the Qatari Al-Sharq newspaper the day before yesterday. He said that they have [captured] collaborators, and they have already executed some, while others await their turn. What collaborators are you talking about, Mr. Abu Marzouq? Of course he has expanded the list, saying that anyone who criticizes the policy of Hamas a traitor and a collaborator, and that it is okay to kill him. Is this the promised Islamic rule, or is it a blood-soaked lie about Islam?

[...]

"Who plunders the trucks bringing aid to the Gaza Strip, and distributes it only among the follows of its party and movement, while the children of Gaza are starving? Who is stealing the land of Gaza, dividing it into lots, and giving them to the cronies of Hamas members of the Shura Council?" [...]

Al-Arabiya TV, January 16, 2009: "[Hamas] Still Has a Backward Understanding of the Meaning of a Popular Mandate"

"[Hamas] still has a backward understanding of the meaning of a popular mandate. A popular mandate does not mean that the people places its fate in your hands for you to do as you wish - to drag it into wars and destruction, without taking anything into consideration

[...]

"What came out of the Doha 'festival' except for speeches lecturing us, and peddling the blood of Gaza. Each of the regimes that were present there is domestically defeated for one reason or another. I don't want to get into specifics regarding each regime, but one of them carried out a military coup, another has a problem with the International Criminal Court, and the others have different problems."

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Rinna Rani

5162 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Human Shields In Gaza
1/30/2009 10:24:48 AM
Hi Helen,
Thanks for your reply and appreciate the references you have provided.

But as stated in my previous posts, its 2 different videos with 2 different families. However, you could be right in your oppinion and its good to give benefit of doubt to that.

For me, I am not in a right position to say who is right and wrong as honestly, I am not there to see it for myself.  But I believe in one thing, if any war involves children, it is just not right.  How can they say children is casualties of war when we have adult minds and they have innocent minds.

For me, I am a neutral person when it comes to this and believe that as long as children and animals, innocent and clueless, are forced to grow up because of war, its not right.

I do appreciate your oppinion Helen and I respect it and I can understand you believing in what you believe.  That is what makes us human being.

Thank you for sharing and hope this did not cause any misunderstanding.  I will surely have a look at the link you provided.  I would like to credit you for the effort.

Thanks dear.

Love,
Rinna
+0
Re: Human Shields In Gaza
1/30/2009 10:27:37 AM
Hello Peter!  8)

Thank you for the info on the current situation there in Israel.

The Hamas are truly cowards, only cowards would hide behind a shield of children and women.

I feel for you my friend. I can't imagine having to live the way your people have had to live all these years.

Hang in there, you know that in the end you will be victorious, it is written.

Shalom my friend,

John R. Sanchez
AdlandPro's Goodwill Ambassador

+0
Rinna Rani

5162 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Human Shields In Gaza - Hamas Accused Of Torturing Palestinians
1/30/2009 10:28:38 AM
Hi Peter,
Thanks for the reference.  Like I told Helen, I am not blaming anybody nor taking sides but my concern is actually for the children and nothing else.  It could be Israeli children or Palestinian children.

They are only children.  Innocent young babies that don't or are not matured enough to think on their own.

That is really really sad.

Love,
Rinna
+0