Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Revamping my Adland Approach
11/27/2008 4:51:00 PM

Hi Neil,

Let's not pussy-foot around here. It's hopeless attempting to sell a product or a business proposition here at Adland. Why? Because everyone wants you to join THEIR business or purchase THEIR product. Everyone has their own agenda. How anyone here ever makes any money when they are all pushing a different business idea has got me beat. Carl Haavaldsen has attempted to unite everyone here but has had very few takers out of 200,000 (?) members.

Nevertheless, having said that, Adland IS a terrific social venue and a place to meet new friends and interesting people and to have fun. If your agenda is social and not business orientated then you will enjoy your stay at Adland.

+0
Tim
Tim Southernwood

839 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
11/27/2008 5:05:50 PM
Hi Neil,

Thanks for what you said. It's been a long time coming..and I don't know if anyone's said it as well.

I think you've stated in the CLEAREST terms a major reason why much of the advertising here in Adland is ineffective.
Because so much of the mail falls on inactive accounts.

Bogdan's approach to improve on delivery and response seems to have been the targeted ads approach, but as I've pretty much quit trying to SELL anything in Adland I wouldn't be able to tell you if it's working or not.

I don't sell here because there aren't a lot of buyers, but there sure are a lot of sellers ;-)

That's the second reason (in my view) why the sales response in Adland is so poor. Marketers marketing to other marketers.

The only thing that sells here is an opportunity to sell..and only because apparently the purchaser already has something that isn't selling. (if that makes any sense to you..you've been here too long! lol)

Seeing the writing on the wall a long time ago, I decided on the alternative approach that you alluded to, and something I saw going on all over the place online. The SOCIAL aspect of Adland.

So my scope and breadth of contacts has grown. I can reach a lot of people when I want to, and I'm pretty careful in what I bring to the table, because I've seen where the market has been moving to for some time.

I simply ask you people to think about the LONG TERM.

There was a good example recently here where I work.
My buddy Owen has been into computer repair and so to help him out a couple years back, I passed out some of his cards, one of them to a colleague of mine here.
So..a few months, maybe a year later, on my recommendation, my colleague calls Owen up for some help with a repair to his PC. Owen does a good job for him and establishes a customer. (and a difficult one at that)
He's presently doing another job for my colleague again! I also have no doubt that when someone has a computer issue, my colleague tells them about Owen.

Take from that what you will folks.

If you're looking for immediate gain in this manner of marketing..forgetaboutit! And good luck with all the schemes and hype and all the matrixs and multilevel plans...cuz you're going to need it.

But if you're in this for the long haul..plug in. Become a student. BLOG FOR HEAVENS SAKE! And develop those relationships with others that if cultured properly will bear fruit when the tree is ready.

My Twitter is below. Add me if you haven't already.
My BlognetAwards Blog offers you cash prizes for just doing what you should be doing..posting your link on the web!

Tim Southernwood/Get eH² Packs!/BlogNet Awards We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act but a habit - Aristotle
+0
Diane Bjorling

2586 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/27/2008 6:42:54 PM

Dear John

Thank you for saying out loud what I keep hearing from others.  Many in their own ways have even tried to say politely what you have stated in clear words that no one can mistake. 

My question is - will anyone listen? 

while writing this post i saw the pop ups and more than a few were about, buy this..leverage that and all I can do is shake my head.

There is indeed a very thriving social aspect to Adland, if people would use it properly, but then many dont..kind of sad really.

Personally I rarely sell anything here, for the simple reason IT DOES NOT WORK, but people are in such a mind set, they can not or will not listen.

The simple fact is that many come here and do what they do, because that is all they know..this is how they have been taught and then they teach others the same thing and the cycle repeats itself over and over again.

Many have been taught by the so called gurus that the money is in the list and no matter what, you have to target and blast your way to get those names...yahoo!

Just the other week I had a person blast me a targetted ad( many do this as the norm) but it was kind of interesting, so i replied  in a way that was more like a conversation, exchanging ( in my mind) ideas etc.  This person did reply, but said..what are you talking about, I am ( in effect) selling this to you. They could not understand that when we talk about sharing ideas that the word "share" has a meaning. This person could only see the ad they had sent.  I just shook my head yet again and went..ok then!

There are people on this community who are truly trying to make a difference, not in their words, but through their actions, they know who they are so names need not be mentioned ( pssst you are one of them John :-) )

I will continue to keep coming back here, I will keep on trying to share ideas and show another way of doing things...I will keep coming back here for the social aspect and for the very good friends I have made here...but sell here...Not on your life!

My Best Regards to you

Diane
Administrative Director
BlogNet Awards

+0
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
11/28/2008 1:17:06 AM

Hi Diane (pardon me, Neil, lol)

Thanks, I'm going to take a closer look at your Blognetawards.com site, looks interesting.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!