Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Great announcement for Native Americans
9/18/2009 12:29:48 AM

Myrna, what wonderful pictures.  Homes of the Indians are so neat!!!   Thanks for posting.  I will try and bookmark your forum so I don't lose it again.

Pat

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/2/2009 9:14:54 AM

Hi friends,

This forum has been nominated for October Best Forum Award .

Please, support it and CASTE YOUR VOTE. 

Our sweet and diligent friend Myrna ALWAYS SUPPORTS ALL .

Please - show now your appreciation and gratitude.

Thanks in advance!

Happy weekend to all,

Branka

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/2/2009 10:20:41 PM

Thanks Roger,

I am running behind on my posting.  I do so appreciate your coming to this forum I am still celebrating my wonderful Native American friends.

Hugs, Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/2/2009 10:36:02 PM

Hi Sara,

I am so sorry it has taken me so long to get an answer to you.  I just didn't understand the new system well enough and I missed it.  I thank you for the lovely video, very nice.  I love there music, all of it.

Hugs, Myrna

Abenaki
Native Americans have occupied northern New England for at least 10,000 years. There is no proof these ancient residents were ancestors of the Abenaki, but there is no reason to think they were not.
Acolapissa
The mild climate of the lower Mississippi required little clothing. Acolapissa men limited themselves pretty much to a breechcloth, women a short skirt, and children ran nude until puberty. With

so little clothing with which to adorn themselves, the Acolapissa were fond of decorating their entire bodies with tattoos. In cold weather a buffalo robe or feathered cloak was added for warmth.

Algonkin
If for no other reason, the Algonkin would be famous because their name has been used for the largest native language group in North America. The downside is the confusion generated, and many people do not realize there actually was an Algonkin tribe, or that all Algonquins do not belong to the same tribe. Although Algonquin is a common language group, it has many many dialects, not all of which are mutually intelligible.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/2/2009 10:45:23 PM

Hi Pat,

Thanks for coming by.  So glad you like their houses.  There is so much information about the N/A it would be a long time until I could post it all.

Hugs, Myrna

Bayougoula
Dogs were the only animal domesticated by Native Americans before the horse, but the Bayougoula in 1699 kept small flocks of turkeys. The tribes of the lower Mississippi were also unique in that tribal territories were well defined. Decorated with fish heads and bear bones, a large red post near the mouth of the Red River marked the boundary between the Bayougoula and the Houma just to the north. Translated into French, the location of this "Red Post" became known as Baton Rouge, the present-day capital of Louisiana.

Beothuk
One thing that is known about the Beothuk was their love of the color red. While the use of red ocre was common among Native Americans, no other tribe used it as extensively as the Beothuk. They literally covered everything - their bodies, faces, hair, clothing, personal possessions, and tools - with a red paint made from powdered ochre mixed with either fish oil or animal grease. It was also employed in burials. The reasons are unknown, but speculation has ranged from their religion (about which we know very little) to protection from insects. The practice was so excessive, even the Micmac referred to them as the Red Indians, and it is believed the term "redskin" used for Native Americans probably originated from early contacts between European fishermen and Beothuk.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!