Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Jill Bachman

8860 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Great announcement for Native Americans
9/6/2009 1:44:48 AM

Hi Myrna,

Wow!  There is such a great energy here and I thank you for giving us such a beautiful forum.

I wanted to be sure to share the information of Grimes Point here where it belongs.  This is really fascinating information of much historical value for the Native Americans.

Grimes Point Trail, Nevada

Trail through Grimes Point Archaeological Site provides access to petroglyphs near ancient lake.

From the Bureau of Land Management

Map of NevadaGrimes Point is one of the largest and most accessible petroglyph (rock art) sites in the United States. There are hundreds of boulders in this locality with petroglyphs inscribed in them. Designs include circles, wavy lines, human figures, snakes, and other animal figures. The rock art is believed to be about 6,000 years old. Visitors can view examples of petroglyphs along a short, self-guided interpretive trail. The site is managed by the Bureau of Land Management.

photo of desert trail
The Grimes Point Petrogllyph Trail

The Grimes Point Petroglyph Trail was constructed by the Youth Conservation Corps for the enjoyment of visitors and the protection of the cultural resources. Markers are placed at points of interest. Many of the petroglyphs are not marked, but can be viewed from the path. In 1978 this area was desigated as a National Recreation Trail.

Grimes Point was first visited by Native Americans 8,000 or more years ago. At that time the area was considerably different from the way it appears now. Up until the end of the Ice Age 10-12,000 years ago, a vast network of lakes covered much of Nevada and western Utah.

interpretive sign with big boulder

Patination on the surface of boulders along the interpretive trail

As ancient Lake Lahotan was drying up , its marshy remnants were home to a wide variety of plants and animals which were used by prehistoric populations. Imagine what the landscape looked like 8,000 years ago. Look at what is now a dry playa and imagine ia freshwater lake instead. Perhaps you would see ducks and other waterfowl. Along the shore you might expect to see a stand of cottonwood trees and extending out in the marshy zone might be a stand of tules, reeds, or cattails. Iin the nearby hills an occasional antelope might be spotted.

READ MORE:  http://www.americantrails.org/nationalrecreationtrails/blm/grimespoint-nv.htm

Hugs,  Jilll

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/8/2009 3:36:15 AM

Hi Jill,

Thanks for posting the Grimes Point in  Nevada here on the Native American site.  I was just coming to post a dance I had never seen and thought I better get it in here before I lose it. 

Hugs, Myrna

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Alain Deguire

8052 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/9/2009 6:46:01 PM

To Myrna and Friends...

on this special 09-09-09 day...

I simply want to say...

Love and Blessings

Alain

+0
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/12/2009 12:08:57 AM

HI Alain,

Thank you for the post for 9-9-9  Thkngs are happening, looking forward to the day of Nesara.

I found this website on Natvie Americans homes.

Hugs and blessings, Myrna

Wigwam Homes

Wigwams (or wetus) are Native American houses used by Algonquian Indians in the woodland regions. Wigwam is the word for "house" in the Abenaki tribe, and wetu is the word for "house" in the Wampanoag tribe. Sometimes they are also known as birchbark houses. Wigwams are small houses, usually 8-10 feet tall. Wigwams are made of wooden frames which are covered with woven mats and sheets of birchbark. The frame can be shaped like a dome, like a cone, or like a rectangle with an arched roof. Once the birchbark is in place, ropes or strips of wood are wrapped around the wigwam to hold the bark in place. Here are some pictures of a woman building a wigwam.

cone-shaped    *      dome-shaped       *    rectangular shape      *      wigwam frame

Wigwams are good houses for people who stay in the same place for months at a time. Most Algonquian Indians lived together in settled villages during the farming season, but during the winter, each family group would move to their own hunting camp. Wigwams are not portable, but they are small and easy to build. Woodland Indian families could build new wigwams every year when they set up their winter camps.

Longhouses

Longhouses are Native American homes used by the Iroquois tribes and some of their Algonquian neighbors. They are built similarly to wigwams, with pole frames and elm bark covering. The main difference is that longhouses are much, much larger than wigwams. Longhouses could be 150 feet long, 20 feet wide, and 20 feet high. Inside the longhouse, raised platforms created a second story, which was used for sleeping space. Mats and wood screens divided the longhouse into separate rooms. Each longhouse housed an entire clan-- as many as 60 people!

sketch of a longhouse           *   longhouse cutaway     *      a longhouse today

Longhouses are good homes for people who intend to stay in the same place for a long time. A longhouse is large and takes a lot of time to build and decorate. The Iroquois were farming people who lived in permanent villages. Iroquois men sometimes built wigwams for themselves when they were going on hunting trips, but women might live in the same longhouse their whole life.

Well post more later

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Branka Babic

2716 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/14/2009 6:34:28 PM

Myrna - how much I like this !!!!

Love,