Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Myrna Ferguson

16559 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: Great announcement for Native Americans
10/2/2009 10:53:12 PM

Hi Branka,

I do so appreciate your ad for the BA=FA Award and I thank everyone who has voted for my forum.

Hugs, Myrna

Chickasaw
Although generally the least known of the Five Civilized Tribes (Chickasaw, Cherokee, Choctaw, Creek, Seminole), no other tribe played a more significant role in Britain's victory over France for control of North America. Variously described as the Unconquered and Unconquerable or the Spartans of the lower Mississippi Valley, the Chickasaw were the most formidable warriors of the American Southeast, and anyone who messed with them came to regret it, if they survived! British traders from the Carolinas were quick to recognize their prowess in this regard and armed the Chickasaw to the teeth, after which, no combination of the French and their native allies was able to dislodge the Chickasaw from the stranglehold they imposed upon French commerce on the lower Mississippi. The Chickasaw could cut New France in two, which seriously crippled the French in any war with the British. From the high ground overlooking the Mississippi River at Memphis, the Chickasaw took on all comers, including tribes four to five times their size and never lost until they picked the wrong side in the American Civil War. Even then, the Chickasaw Nation was the last Confederate government to surrender to Union forces.
Chitimacha
To enhance their appearance, the Chitimacha flattened the foreheads of their male children. Most men wore their hair long, but there were occasional reports of some of their warriors having a scalplock. With the mild climate, male clothing was limited to a breechcloth which allowed a display of their extensive tattooing of the face, body, arms and legs. Women limited themselves to a short skirt. Their hair was also worn long but usually braided. Socially, the Chitimacha were divided into matrilineal (descent traced through the mother) totemic (named for an animal) clans. The most distinctive characteristic of Chitimacha society was their strict caste system of two ranked groups: nobles and commoners. The separation between them included the use of two distinct dialects with commoners required to address nobles in the proper language. The Chitimacha were unique among Native Americans with their practice of strict endogamy (a person can only marry someone from their own group). A noble man or woman who married a commoner forfeited their higher status.

Comanche
Stealing horses was common among the plains tribes, but like everything else concerning the horse, Comanches did it on a grand scale. As the number of Spanish horses in New Mexico became inadequate, Comanche raids reached south into Texas and Mexico. By 1775 the Spanish governor of New Mexico was complaining that, despite constant re-supply from Mexico, Comanche raiders had stolen so many horses he did not have enough to pursue them.

The Comanche epitomized the mounted plains warrior. Until the 1750s, they often employed leather armor and large body shields to protect both horse and rider. This changed with increased use of firearms and quickly changed into the stereotypical light cavalry tactics associated with plains warfare. This development first forced the Spanish, and later Texans and Americans, to cope with a new style of mounted warfare. They did not do very well at first. European cavalry had evolved into heavy-armed dragoons designed to break massed-infantry formations. There was no way these soldiers could stay with mounted Comanches who usually left them eating dust ..if they could find them in the first place. The Texas Rangers were organized during the 1840s primarily to fight Comanches. A decade later, when the American army began to assume much of the Rangers' responsibility, it had much to learn.

LOVE IS THE ANSWER
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/7/2009 3:28:02 AM

Dear Myrna,

I am sorry for having missed so many good posts here in the last few weeks. Incredibly, I am still trying to adapt myself to the new Adland. However, I see that you keep offering a lot of information about the Native American tribes in this great forum of yours, for which I thank you. You know how I love to learn about the native cultures and, in general, about everything that has to do with ancient traditions.

A lot of information, too, has been appearing of late not only in my country, Peru, but elsewhere as well about Caral, the oldest civilization in the Americas and one of the oldest in the world.  Not long ago re-discovered in my country by Ruth Shady, a Peruvian archaeologist, the site of Caral, about a hundred kilometers from Lima, where I live, was recently dated as early as 3000 BC. And apart from this astounding fact, which could make it contemporaneous of the Sphinx at Giza and the oldest Egyptian pyramids, one of its main features is that no weapon of any sort was found inside or anywhere close to the citadel, which consists of about twelve huge earthen pyramids and plazas of a rare beauty.

But not only no weapons were found, there also were no traces of sacrificial rites of any sort in or near the city - including the cruel human sacrifices that would be so common in other cultures and latitudes of later ages all over the American continent and in other continents, too. The importance of this fact is enormous. It evidences that the earliest civilizations were indeed pacific settlements that developed a high state of culture from their inception through trade and harmonious relationships with other cultures from even distant places, without ever resorting to war as a means to grow up in size and economical power at the expense of those other cultures as was believed until very recently by historians, archaeologists and anthropologists alike.

In addition, it can be the proof that all cultures indeed enjoy a long and peaceful Golden Age in their beginning and only later on, as the posterior ages successively unfoil, become increasingly violent until they finally dissapear. Such is my belief at least.

There are several videos with fascinating information about all this, although unfortunately most of them are only in Spanish. However, there is a wonderful production in both English and Spanish that I earnestly recommend you. Even if it is a little bit long (45 min), it is well worth the watch. You will find it here:

http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-7590203755477313077&hl=es&fs=true

I also recommend this site from the Government of Peru (multi-language):

http://www.caralperu.gob.pe/

And now a photo for a taste of what you will find there:

Caral - The Amphitheater
(in: http://caralperu.blogspot.com/2007/10/blog-post.html

My best regards,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Barbara Delgiudice

1912 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/7/2009 5:22:00 AM

Hi Myrna this is so awesome. I deeply respect the Native American way. I love their art and prayers.

Love and big hugs.

Barb :)

+0
Cheryl Baxter

2279 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/8/2009 8:21:48 AM
Hi Myrna,

Just wanted to drop by and say how happy I am that your forum won the BFA for the month of October.  You do a great job and keep giving us so much interesting information.  Keep up the wonderful work you are doing to spread the knowledge of  Native American history and the importance of its people.

Blessings,

Cheryl

http://texasgalswholesaleproperties.com "browse our current properties" http://fortworthwholesaleproperty.com "check out our real estate blog" http://mydiscountchristianbooks.com "online bibles, books, music, more"
+0
Alain Deguire

8052 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/10/2009 12:20:47 AM

Hello Myrna!

I was just flying by with a Little Gift for my Great Friend... Enjoy!

Have a Wonderful Weekend!

Hugs and Blessings,

Alain

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!