Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
The American son who died a British hero
10/20/2008 3:14:59 PM

UPDATE 2009

Large animated American flag clip art for a white background                Large animated British flag clip art for a white background

I posted this back in October last year.

Although at the time there were not many replies I received some VERY interesting PM's and from one of them made a new and special friend. My frind wishes anonimity but suffice to say, he is a relative of this gentleman featured here.

Long live the special relationship between the USA and Great Britain.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

One hundred years ago this week (October 16th 1908) Samuel Cody made the first officially recorded powered flight.

I am lucky to live just a few miles from Farnborough, Hampshire, England.

Farnborough holds a leading position in the development of flight during the last 100 years.

Samuel Cody, born in the USA eventually died doing what he loved but as a British citizen, having assisted the military to develop what was to prove to be, a distinct advantage in the imminent Great War.

You are welcome to research and add to this forum about an important figure in world history.

Roger

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: The American son who died a British hero
10/20/2008 3:28:52 PM

Samuel Cody (Franklin Cowdery of Davenport, Iowa), born 1867, one of a family of five children. Cowdery's father, a Union veteran from the American Civil War, deserted the family in 1875.

Samuel adopted his name by the time he married in 1899 in Norristown, Pennsylvania. Presumably to further his "Wild West Show" ambitions. He rode the same trails as Buffalo Bill and played the same roulette tables as Wyatt Earp.

With his wife Maud, he performed demonstrations of sharp shooting and horsemanship. He is known to have competed with Annie Oakley at sharp shooting.

more to follow:

Roger

+0
Roger Macdivitt .

7333 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/20/2008 3:34:33 PM

Not being the world's greatest techie I would welcome a few pictures and graphics here;

Pictures of Cody/Airplanes etc welcome

Here is a one hundred year tribute (aircraft lovers mustsee)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-Z2Vzwhlos

Roger

+0
Geketa Holman

2080 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/20/2008 3:38:18 PM
Hey Roger,

That is very cool. I had no idea Sam Cody lived or  died in England thanks for sharing this. I am  familiar with the Wild West Show .. My Nana used to talk about it and those who were in it. Can't wait to see your next installment.

Blessings,

Geketa

Hear, O Israel the L-rd our G-d,the L-rd is one http://www.DHGBoutique.com
+0
10/20/2008 3:52:21 PM

Hi Roger!

This was interesting, and I found a picture of the House of Commons where Cody sits with other Aviators, both English and French ones.

British

Luncheon Party for distinguished French and English Aviators
at the House of Commons, 1909.

Mattias Kroon Affiliate Creative Marketer http://moneymaker4554.blogspot.com/
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!