Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Phil's Recipe Corner - Coconut Chicken Curry
7/24/2008 8:30:57 AM
Heidi and Judy!

Oh yeah!  I love slow cooking too!  Especially if I'm out all day.  Nothing like coming home to supper on the table.  Even if I made it myself. 

http://www.theriddlegroup.com/blog/uploaded_images/Wink-798910.jpg

Hugs,
Luella
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/24/2008 6:01:53 PM

Hi Luella,

Thanks for posting the Recipe and Thanks to all who have stopped by to visit.  Glad that everyone liked it.

I have never been a real big fan of Crock pots or Slow Cookers, however they certainly do come in handy from time to time.  Believe it or not, I've even "Baked" Bread in one before.  I also have a "Bean Medley" that a staple for me, especially during the Fall & Winter.

When we got to talking about Coconut Milk in a previous Thread, this Chicken dish sounded just perfect.  Also, I have a very good friend from Thailand who has been teaching me about Thai Fruits, so I've had a lot of Fresh Coconut Milk lately.  She served a Dessert the other evening that was beyond description.  I know were cooking healthier, so this is the Thai equivalent of Bread Pudding, without the Bread/Gluten.  Instead glass noodles (made from bean flour) are used, together with sliced Bananas and an easy custard. 

Thai Banana Coconut Custard

1 can coconut milk or Fresh if you can get it. 
3 eggs
approx. 1/2 cup cellophane/glass noodles (sold in packaged "bundles", and made of pea/bean flour)
2 ripe bananas, cut into small pieces (bananas can be slightly over-ripe)
pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup lightly-packed brown sugar (or more to taste)
1/4 cup sweet dry shredded baking coconut
Vanilla ice cream, or Vanilla frozen yogurt
2 Tbsp. additional dry shredded baking coconut (for garnish)

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease a small casserole dish (with a cover) and set aside.
Soak the noodles in a pot of hot water for 8-10 minutes, or until soft. (These noodles are very stiff and wiry when dry - it helps to use scissors to cut out a 1/2 cup portion).
While noodles are softening, crack eggs into a mixing bowl. Using a whisk or fork, beat the eggs until fluffy (1 minute).
Add to the bowl the coconut milk, bananas, salt, vanilla, dried shredded coconut, and brown sugar. Stir well. Taste test for sweetness, adding more sugar if desired.
When noodles are translucent and fairly soft, drain them. Using a clean pair of scissors, cut the noodles into small pieces.
Add the cut noodles to the egg mixture and stir. Pour into the casserole dish. Cover and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour, or until "set" (a fork should come out clean when inserted).
While custard is baking, place 2 Tbsp. shredded baking coconut (sweetened or unsweetened) in a dry frying pan. Turn heat to medium-high. Stir coconut continuously until it begins to brown. Remove from heat, stirring until all the coconut has turned light golden-brown. Pour into a bowl to cool. (Do not leave in the frying pan, or it will burn from the residual heat.)
To serve, place scoops of warm custard in serving bowls together with scoops of vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt. Top with a sprinkling of toasted coconut and serve immediately. 

Hope you like it and if you try it, let me know.

Have A Blessed Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Luella May

3048 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/24/2008 10:58:20 PM
Oh Phil!  This Thai Banana Coconut Custard Recipe sounds delicious.  If I'm still here this weekend, I believe I will make it.  My problem would be getting the Asian noodles.  I live in a very small town.  Not even a McDonald's.  Well I guess that's good news huh?  Well, we have an old fashioned grocery store with not a heck of a lot.  Nothing fancy.  So I don't know where I will get it or maybe I can substitute another ingredient?  But it sounds sooooooooo good.

Hugs,
Luella
+0
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/25/2008 12:48:13 AM

Hi Luella

No wonder Phil passed this recipe on, he wouldn't have time for cooking... lol

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/25/2008 3:31:40 PM

Hi Luella,

Actually that sounds like my kind of town.  I still remember a little town up in the Mountains of GA, back when I was traveling during the late 90's, that had one Grocery Store, two Fast Food Places, and either 18 or 19 Churches.  Not a lot of life's luxuries, but some of the most friendly, warm hearted people you would ever hope to meet.

The glass noodles could be a problem, since I don't know of any real substitute.  Although they are referred to as Chinese Vermicelli, they shouldn't be confused with Rice Vermicelli, since they are made from either Bean starch or Potato Starch.  Where I live, I am fortunate that within a 15-20 minute drive, there's just about any type of International Food Store that you could possibly want.  Of course, they can be found online, if necessary. For Asian foods or supplies, I generally use http://asianfoodgrocer.com, however there are many more I'm sure.  As I told you before, I can always get together a Care Package.  I have to do that all of the time for my Southern Friends that move up North.

Anyway, for right now at least, I might need to come up with something a little simpler for Dessert.  I had Thai Fried Bananas a week or so ago and those are less complicated as far as Ingredients, although not near as Healthy.  I'll see what I can come up with.

Have A Beautiful Weekend,

Phil 

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!