Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Emergency Safety Kit
4/29/2008 4:53:05 PM

MY EMERGENCY SAFETY KIT

• Extra batteries (flashlights & radio) –check often to ensure they are still good.
  • Emergency/weather radio (crank type or battery)
  • Set of walkie-talkies (if affordable)
  • 2 full-size flashlights & 1-2 pocket-size flashlights
  • Change of clothes/extra pair of shoes (or winter boots) for each family member
  • Baby wipes/wet wipes
  • Hygiene/bathing kit—shampoo/conditioner, shower gel/bath soap, few washcloths, couple of towels, toothbrush/toothpaste, mouthwash (antiseptic), Q-tips (in zip-lock bag), comb/hairbrush, small mirror, deodorant and a razor
  • Extra glasses/contact lenses, cleaning solution (1 pair for each person that wears these)
  • First aid kit
  • One or 2 large candles in coffee can/s (for heat)
  • Kitchen matches (1-2 lg. boxes in zip-lock bag)/lighter
  • Plastic bags—several grocery size and several large trash size
  • Package of disposable cups, plates, eating utensils
  • Games for family (2-3, in zip-lock bags w/instructions)(not in box they were bought in)
  • Small toy or 2 for smaller children (in zip-lock bag)
  • Coloring book or 2 and crayons, 2-3 story books (in zip-lock bag)
  • Pens/pencils & writing tablet (in zip-lock bag)
  • List with addresses/ phone #’s for extended family members
  • List with banking info, credit card info, (phone #, acct. #, passwords), vehicle info, insurance info. (vehicle & medical insurance), extra book of checks, & a credit card(designated for emergencies only)
  • List of medical/medicine info for each family member (include Rx #, name of med., strength, how often taken, & what it is used for)
  • Reading materials for older children and adults (in zip-lock bags)
  • Several road-side flares
  • Several emergency blankets (silver Mylar), in camping department
  • Paper towels & Kleenex
  • Extra warm hat, scarf & gloves for each family member (in fall/winter seasons)
  • Small bag of sand or cat litter and folding shovel (in winter)
+0
Mark Gibson

236 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: Emergency Safety Kit
4/29/2008 5:02:36 PM

Linda,

You forgot one thing,  JERKY!

http://www.snackat.jerkydirect.com

Have a great day!

Mark Gibson

To YOUR success, Mark Gibson mystuff@cards4u.ws www.cards4u.ws
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/29/2008 5:30:04 PM
Mark,

I struggle to keep a case of jerky for emergencies !  My son and friends eat it as fast as I can order it.   Now I have to have it shipped to Austin, Tx to them, until I get moved.   My son and Dave Hoppe were up here last week, so Tom could meet with the realtor about selling Condo.  The ONE thing they wanted was all the jerky I had up here.   They are going to order a case when they got back, so they would have more there for later.   They handed me money and said send more, ha, ha!

Everyone should have a case of jerky for their family for emergencies !  If you lose power, can't cook.

For me, I don't always want to cook, and hand them jerky to snack on !  Keep lots of raw fruits and veggies for them to snack on.

Tom took it to the Fire Station with him also.
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/29/2008 5:30:20 PM

SOME MORE SAFETY TIPS

• These items can be divided into several strong backpacks so each of several family members can carry one.
  • In winter I prepare a plastic storage container (to keep in vehicle) with quite a few of these items as well as an extra pair of warm boots and heavy socks for each of us. My husband & I happen to each have 2 pairs of insulated coveralls, so each of us have a pair that is kept in our vehicle all winter.
  • I also have a zippered bag (new blanket came in) that I put 2 fleece blankets in & keep that bag in vehicle at all times (in fall/winter).
  • Non-perishable snacks should include high-energy snacks (energy bars, fruit bars, granola bars, etc.,& packages of nuts, as well as candy (both hard & soft candies), and chewing gum. Items should be replaced about every 2-3 months.
  • I use a medium size zippered cooler bag w/shoulder strap to store all snacks in. I stuff it as full as possible using every outer pocket as well.
  • Keep food items in bags away from items that might leak on and ruin them, Ex.: batteries, shampoo, mouthwash, etc.
  • I keep 4-6 gallon-size jugs of water ready at all times (should have 3 gallons per person).
  • Some of the items I store in coffee cans (to use later for heating water/melting snow, if needed).
  • Those storage bags that you vacuum air out of to reduce amount of needed storage space are very handy too–one for each family member (complete change of clothes, jacket/sweater, hat, scarf, gloves, extra pair of socks, $5.-10. in each member’s bag), also can use one to put blankets in. Or, each member could include a blanket in the bag with clothes.This greatly reduces needed storage space.
  • I store the plastic grocery bags in the kit to use on feet inside shoes or boots to keep feet dry. The large trash bags to keep us dry (can cut or tear hole for head & arms and use like rain coat).
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/29/2008 7:11:12 PM
PEPPER  SPRAY   who has the business selling ....
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!