Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Recycle and reduce Use !
4/24/2008 1:23:38 PM

Water waste making you insane in the brain?

The Bite
H2-no, if you're reusing bath, kitchen, or laundry water, so consider hooking up a system that directs gently used water (called gray water) to your garden. Huge cerebrum not required.

The Benefits

• Saving H2O. Gray water systems can save up to 40% of drinkable water, and if enough people install systems, we could have smaller water-purification and sewage-treatment plants.
  • Money in your bank. Hooking up a gray-water system can snag a tax rebate in some states (check with your city gov's water management department), and up your home's LEED credits to increase its value.

Personally Speaking
One of our dads hooked up a gray water system for his garden, but we can't say whose since it isn't exactly legal without a permit in his state.

Wanna Try?

• Check with your local government to find out if gray water reuse is legal in your area (you may need a permit), then call an eco-contractor. Note: You'll need to use the water only for plants you're not planning on eating and use use only eco-bath products, since gray water can seep down into groundwater reserves.
  • Aqus - instead of your garden, you can redirect sink water into your toilet bowl using this contraption ($295).
  • Great American Rain Barrel - if you're not sure about rejigging your pipes, this 60-gal recycled-plastic barrel stores rainwater ($220).
  • Greywater Guerillas - tons of info and project ideas from gray-water fanatics.
  • Safe Use of Household Greywater - tells you what water to use and what water to lose.
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Recycle and reduce Use !
4/24/2008 1:33:08 PM
It's not legal in all areas, but if 10,000  households use only gray water on their gardens, we'll save enough water to fill eight small water towers.  

Recycle.  Keep a jug under your sink, and when running water to get it hot for bath or dishes,  use the cold water for plants, the toilet or outside garden.
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/24/2008 2:08:21 PM
Thank You For The Article Linda !

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/24/2008 2:34:19 PM
It's not legal in all areas, but if 10,000  households use only gray water on their gardens, we'll save enough water to fill eight small water towers.  

Recycle.  Keep a jug under your sink, and when running water to get it hot for bath or dishes,  use the cold water for plants, the toilet or outside garden.
+0
Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/24/2008 5:18:34 PM
4 Green Shopping Tips
By Eversave Shoppers

Simple changes you can make to your shopping habits to go green.

1. Purchase organic fruits and vegetables.

2. Buy products in the biggest size you and your family will use to avoid excess packaging.

3. Look for products in recyclable containers.

4. Use cloth bags at the grocery store instead of paper and plastic.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!