Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Larry Anderson

2606 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Weird Facts of the Day 1.22.07
1/22/2007 5:17:32 PM
The most dangerous job in the United States is that of a fisherman, followed by logging and then an airline pilot. In proportion, if Jupiter were a basketball, then the sun would be the size of the Louisiana Super Dome. In 1989, the space shuttle Discovery carried 32 fertilized chicken eggs into orbit. Consuming chocolate was once considered a sin during the 16th and 17th century. During that time it was provided in the form of a drink and since drinking wine during lent was a sin, so was drinking chocolate. Every year Alaska has about 5,000 earthquakes, 1,000 of which measure above 3.5 on the Richter scale. If you fart consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create explosion that is equal to an atomic bomb. The ruby red slippers in the movie "The Wizard of Oz" were sold off at an auction for $660,000. In the USA, 32% of employees eat lunch and work at the same time. Lake Baikal, in Siberia, is the deepest lake in the world. (Lake Baikal is between 51 29'N and 55 46'N latitude and 103 41'E and 109 57'E longitude. It is about 636 km long and about 80 km wide. Its broadest point is located between the villages of Onguryon on the Western shore and Ust-Barguzin on the eastern shore, and its narrowest point is between the Selenga River Delta and the opposite Western shore. The length of the coastline is about 2,100 km. There are 30 rocky islands on the lake, the biggest one being Olkhon Island which is more than 130 km2 in area. Legend has it that Olkhon Island is the birthplace of Mongolian ruler Genghis Khan. Compared with the other great lakes of the world, Lake Baikal is enormous. Lake Tanganyika is half of Baikal's size, and Lake Ladoga is 23 times smaller. Baikal's volume, at 23,600 km3, is greater than any other fresh water lake and makes approximately 20 percent of the world's surface fresh water. As a point of comparison, if you were to drain Lake Baikal, it would take the Great Lakes of the United States: Superior, Michigan, Huron, Erie, and Ontario to refill the empty basin. At 1,620 meters, nearly a mile deep, it is without doubt the world's deepest lake. The surface area of all the tributaries that feed lake Baikal is about 560,000 km2. Of the 336 rivers and streams flowing into Baikal, only one, the Angara, flows out from it. At different times, researchers have counted varying numbers of tributaries, up to 544 depending on the amount of precipitation during the year.) German cockroaches can survive for up to one month without food and two weeks without water.
Larry Anderson 1st vice president http://www.whaspllc.com Get what you want but want what you get Wherever you go-there you are Skpe ID:larryeanderson
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Weird Facts of the Day 1.22.07
1/22/2007 6:03:08 PM

Hi Larry,

Thanks for another fascinating collection of News of the Weird.

A couple of these kinda surprised me.  Having personally known 2 of the 3 Taxi drivers murdered in the past year, just in our little City, I would have thought that Cab Driver was a more dangerous job.

Also, it strikes me that anyone that has enough extra time on their hands to do a Fart study, needs to get a hobby, or a life.

Thanks For Sharing, 

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Larry Anderson

2606 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/22/2007 6:36:09 PM
Hi Phil That one sort of surprised me as well about the dangerous jobs
Larry Anderson 1st vice president http://www.whaspllc.com Get what you want but want what you get Wherever you go-there you are Skpe ID:larryeanderson
+0
Amanda Martin-Shaver

2587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/22/2007 7:12:44 PM
Hello Larry,

Thank you for another collection of Weird Facts.  All I can say is
fascinating.

I had not heard of this lake or maybe how I am trying to pronounce is
not right. 

Your facts is still a great source of education a little at a time that you
provide to store away than trying to absorb too much information.

Amanda

+0
Sheryl Loch

1260 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
1/22/2007 9:10:04 PM

I watch Jeopardy every night & don't learn cool stuff about farting!! Maybe we should call Alex Trebec about that!! LOL!!

I think it is German Cockroaches that can live 7 days without a head!! That just creeps me out!!!

Sheryl

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!