Menu

Lloyd Cope

1251 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
This Inspires Me A Lot - I Read Daily
9/25/2006 2:05:01 PM

This is the story of Elija McCoy. Born 1843 --- Died 1929

Yound Elijah McCoy loved machines. He would take things apart just to see how they worked.  The he would put the parts back together again.  People knew Elijah was very smart.  And they knew he would do something very special when he grew up.

Elijah was born in Colchester, Ontario, Canada.  His parents had escaped there from slavery in the United States.  The McCoys made sure their children went to school.  the wanted them to have a good education.

When Elijah was 16 years old, he went to school in Scotland to learn drafting.  Drafters draw plans for new machines and buildings.  Elijah also studied engineering.  Engineers plan how to build such things as canals, bridges, and oil wells.

Elijah studied hards.  He fininshed his training and became a "master mechanic and engineer."

Elijah decided to live in Ypsilanti, Michigan.  But he could not find a job as an engineer.  Although slavery had ended in the United States, there still was prejudice against black people.  Elijah had to accept a job as a fireman and oilman for the Michigan Central Railroad.

Elijah had to shovel tons of coal into the firebox of the train.  It was hard work.

At that time, trains ran on steam.  Steam was made when water was heated in boilers by burning coal.

Elijah had other work, too.  He oiled moving parts of the train.  Every few miles the train would stop so that Elijah could oil the parts.

If parts rubbed together, they could stick and stop the train.  Oil kept the parts from sticking.  Oiling moving parts of a train or machine is called lubricating.

Elijah wanted to find a better way to lubricate the moving parts.  Other people had tried to make oiling tools.  But none of them worked very well.  Elijah thought about it and came up with an answer.

In 1872, Elijah made his first oil cup.  This invention dripped oil to the parts that needed lubrication.  Later that year, the United States government gave Elijah a patent to protect the rights to his invention.

Elijah called his new invention the "lubricating cup."

Railroad executives didn't trust Elijah's invention at first.  They didn't think that a black man could be smart enough to invent such an important tool. But they were wrong.

Finally, the Michigan Central Railroad gave the new invention a try.  It worked perfectly.  The news of McCoy's "lubricating cup" spread quickly.  Soon, all of the railroad companies wanted to use Elijah's invention.

Others tried to copy Elijah's lubricating cup.  None worked as well as Elijah's.  And companies knew the diffence.  They would always as for "the real McCoy." Today, that expression is still used to mean the "real thing."

In 1882, Elijah began to work full time as an inventor.  He invented an ironing board and a lawn sprinkler.  But most of his inventions were for oiling different kinds of machines.  In all, Elijah received 57 patents for inventions.

In 1920, Elijah McCoy formed his own business in Detroit, Michigan.  It was called the Elija McCoy Manufacturing Company.  He operated it until a year before his death.  By 1928, Elijah was in bad health.  He had used all the money he earned on improving his inventions. 

In 1975, this talented inventor was honered by the city of Detroit.  A historic marker was placed at the site of his home.  A street was also named in his honor.

I hope this story gives us all a little inspiration to to do things. Our communtiy has the foundation to achieve great things.

Your friend,

Lloyd Cope 

New Reply
+0
Re: Few of us ever live in the present...
9/25/2006 2:07:05 PM

Oh so very true my friend.

Excellent

Thomass

In Much Graditude and Love Namaste OWN A PIECE OF A LARGE INTERNET COMPANY FOR FREE: http://taketheinternetback.com/index.php?refld=1642 OWN THE INTERNET FOR FREE-Its that simple: http://www.agloco.com/r/BBBB8111 To See My Art Work & Poetry Writi
New Reply
+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/25/2006 2:55:21 PM

Hi Bogdan,

Great Quote.

I try to live each day to the fullest, to be inspired by the lessons learned from my past, and to act today, so that I might have a positive impact on the results that I will encounter tomorrow.

As Always, Thanks For Helping Me Stop To Think,

Phil Black

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
New Reply
+0
Chuck Bartok

258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
9/25/2006 3:24:24 PM

These words are so true!

But one other thing for making this day most enjoyable is to only concentrate on that we can Control throughout the Day.

It does us no good to worry about thing we can't control, the weather, the other person's mindset, the worl news etc

Just focus on everything we CAN CONTROL

Chuck & Shirley Bartok Northern California http://bestbusinessmindset.com http://youcanbuildit.info 530-798-0245
New Reply
+0
9/25/2006 4:26:15 PM
Bogdan, Louis was right in this quote, to many live in fear of what tomorrow will bring, and living their life in accordance to what happened yesterday and some even years ago. For those that may not just who Louis L'Amour is, his primary writings were western books of which several movies were made. Anyone that happens to have some of his books might want to place them on eBay, there are collectors that are looking for them.
James Kinney The Cardioman Cardio Cocktail www.drinkcardiococktail.com/30724 Joint Cocktail:www.formor.com/30724 Check My Home Page http://www.viradyne.com/moneypartners
New Reply
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!