Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
RE: ARE WE NOW IN THE END TIMES?
2/21/2017 5:24:56 PM

Nigeria urges AU to intervene over 'SAfrica killings'

AFP

South African Police attend a protest outside Parliament in Cape Town (AFP Photo/Schalk van Zuydam)

Abuja (AFP) - Nigeria on Monday urged the African Union to step in to stop what it said were "xenophobic attacks" on its citizens and other Africans in South Africa.

The presidency said there was a need for the continental body to "intervene urgently," claiming that in the last two years "about 116" Nigerians had been killed, including 20 last year.

"This is unacceptable to the people and government of Nigeria," a senior presidential aide on foreign affairs, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, said in an emailed statement.

There was no independent verification of the claimed number of deaths, which may have been the result of wider criminal activities rather than anti-immigrant sentiment.

According to the Nigerian Union in South Africa, there are about 800,000 Nigerians in South Africa, many of them living in Johannesburg.

The community was hit badly by the wave of xenophobic violence that hit the country in April 2015 but South African police said only seven Nigerians died.

An independent watchdog has said 640 people died from police brutality or in custody in South Africa.

Dabiri-Erewa renewed Abuja's call on the government in Pretoria to take "decisive and definite measures" to protect Nigerian citizens and other Africans in South Africa.

She said there was credible information that more attacks were being planned for Wednesday and Thursday.

Nigeria has met senior South African officials, including the resident high commissioner to protest against the attacks on its citizens.

South Africans police and government officials were not immediately available to comment.

(Yahoo News)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/22/2017 12:43:03 AM

Demonstrators vow face-off against North Dakota pipeline

By Timothy Mclaughlin and Terray Sylvester
Reuters

The Oceti Sakowin protest camp near the site of the Dakota Access pipeline in Cannon Ball, North Dakota, U.S. is pictured in this February 19, 2017 handout photo. Governor Doug Burgum and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers have set a Feb. 22 deadline for demonstrators to vacate and cleanup the camp. North Dakota Joint Information Center/Handout via REUTERS ATTENTION EDITORS - THIS IMAGE WAS PROVIDED BY A THIRD PARTY. EDITORIAL USE ONLY

By Timothy Mclaughlin and Terray Sylvester

(Reuters) - Protesters near the site of the Dakota Access pipeline are bracing for a stand-off with law enforcement as they face orders to evacuate a camp that has served as the base of their opposition to the multibillion-dollar project.

Native Americans and environmental activists have lived at the Oceti Sakowin camp in North Dakota for months, fighting the construction of the pipeline that they say threatens the water resources of the Standing Rock Sioux tribe and sacred land.

North Dakota Governor Doug Burgum and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers have set a Wednesday afternoon deadline for protesters to clear out of the camp in Cannon Ball, North Dakota, which is on Army Corps land.

However, some protesters intend to remain, forcing a potential showdown that could end in arrests of many protesters, law enforcement and camp leaders said on Tuesday.

"A lot of them are going to stay and they're not going to give up, no matter what army they bring in to make people back off," Lewis Grassrope, a leader at the camp, said in a telephone interview.

Law enforcement officials on Tuesday were planning how to handle Wednesday's evacuation deadline of 2 p.m. local time, said Maxine Herr, a spokeswoman for the Morton County Sheriff's Department.

"There are certainly those that are planning to stay," Herr said. "As much as they are tearing down, they are building."

The protest garnered support from Hollywood celebrities and U.S. military veterans, with thousands traveling to the camp last year to protest the pipeline being built by Energy Transfer Partners LP.

An Energy Transfer Partners spokeswoman did not respond to a request for comment.

The mood in the camp was jubilant in December when the Army Corps ruled against an easement to drill under Lake Oahe, the final link in the 1,172-mile (1,885-km) project. The Standing Rock Sioux subsequently asked protesters to disperse, but some remained.

However, President Donald Trump, just days after taking office, signed an executive order clearing the way for the pipeline to proceed.

A judge denied a request earlier this month by two tribes seeking to halt construction, which resumed. The tribes are seeking an injunction to order the Army Corps to withdraw the easement.

On Tuesday, leaders said around 300 protesters remained at the camp, now sodden from rain and melting snow.

Governor Burgum, a Republican, has said floods pose a safety threat and trash at the camp could pollute the Missouri River, but demonstrators say that fear is overhyped.

Despite the setbacks, Melaine Stoneman, a camp leader, said protesters were not dismayed.

“The fight continues on as it has for over 500 some years of them trying to exterminate and eliminate us (Native Americans)," she said.

(Reporting by Timothy Mclaughlin in Chicago and Terray Sylvester in Hood River, Oregon; Editing by Dan Grebler)

(Yahoo News)

In this Thursday, Feb. 16, 2017, photo, debris is piled on the ground awaiting pickup by cleanup crews at the Dakota Access oil pipeline protest camp in southern North Dakota near Cannon Ball. (AP Photo/Blake Nicholson)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/22/2017 1:10:08 AM

Milo Yiannopoulos Resigns From Breitbart News After Pedophilia Comments

Milo Yiannopoulos speaking to reporters Tuesday in New York. The decision to leave Breitbart News “is mine alone,” he said. CreditMary Altaffer/Associated Press

Milo Yiannopoulos, the conservative polemicist whose endorsement of pedophilia instigated outrage over the weekend, resigned on Tuesday from Breitbart News, the hard-right news and opinion website where he was a longtime editor.

“I would be wrong to allow my poor choice of words to detract from my colleagues’ important job, which is why today I am resigning from Breitbart, effective immediately,” Mr. Yiannopoulos said at a news conference.

“This decision is mine alone,” he said.

Mr. Yiannopoulos’s resignation followed days of tumult that intensified over the weekend after a conservative group called the Reagan Battalion posted a video that showed him condoning sexual relations between men and boys as young as 13 and jokingly dismissing the gravity of pedophilia by Roman Catholic priests.

On Monday, the organizers of the Conservative Political Action Conference
revoked its invitation for Mr. Yiannopoulos to speak this week, and the publisher Simon & Schuster said it was canceling the publication of his book, “Dangerous.”

Appearing in rented office space in Lower Manhattan on Tuesday, Mr. Yiannopoulos, in a sober suit and red tie, was both contrite and defiant. He apologized for his remarks, “I don’t think I’ve been as sorry about anything my whole life,” but also said he had been the victim of a “witch hunt” by detractors trying to derail his career.

He said that he would move forward with publishing a book, saying other publishers were interested, and that he was planning to start a media venture of his own. “I’m proud to be a warrior for free speech and creative expression,” Mr. Yiannopoulos said, adding, “I’m not going anywhere.”

Mr. Yiannopoulos’s announcement was met with glee in some quarters and dismay in others. Some commenters on Breitbart.com expressed disappointment that the site had severed ties with one of its marquee provocateurs, suggesting the site had given in to pressure from liberal critics.

But within the Breitbart newsroom, there was a sense that Mr. Yiannopoulos had gone too far in his remarks on pedophilia. Alex Marlow, Breitbart’s editor in chief, called the comments “indefensible” and “appalling” during his radio program on Tuesday morning. One staff member said that while many of his colleagues were pained to see their site under attack, they believed that Mr. Yiannopoulos’s extreme remarks had given him no choice but to leave.

In the past, Breitbart steadfastly defended Mr. Yiannopoulos even after he made provocative, critical statements about Muslims, transgender people, immigrants and women’s rights. Even on Tuesday, the site still offered a degree of support.

In a statement on Tuesday, Breitbart News praised Mr. Yiannopoulos’s “bold voice,” adding, in words sure to inflame some liberals, that the provocateur “has sparked much-needed debate on important cultural topics confronting universities, the L.G.B.T.Q. community, the press, and the tech industry.”

On his program, Mr. Marlow also defended Mr. Yiannopoulos, saying there was no evidence Mr. Yiannopoulos had acted as a sexual predator and that he had been a victim of a “coordinated hit” by liberal groups intent on hurting his ascent.

“There seems to be growing evidence that this was all coordinated to wait for a peak moment when Milo was red-hot,” Mr. Marlow said. “They sat on this story and they held it for maximum political damage.”

This is not the first time that Mr. Yiannopoulos, a staunch defender of the
so-called alt-right — a far-right fringe movement that embraces white nationalism and a range of racist and anti-immigrant positions — and an avid supporter of President Trump, has inspired outrage. His lectures on college campuses have been met with protests that have at times turned violent. Several weeks ago, his planned speech at the University of California, Berkeley, was canceled after rioters set fires and smashed windows. (The cancellation, in turn, prompted a debate about free speech while also drawing a rebuke from Mr. Trump on Twitter.)

The board of the American Conservative Union, which decided to rescind Mr. Yiannopoulos’s speaking invitation, denounced his comments on Monday, calling them “disturbing.” At Breitbart, staff members debated whether he should be allowed to remain. “It was something that was a total surprise to people in the Breitbart organization,” Mr. Marlow said on the radio program.

Mr. Yiannopoulos tried to explain his comments in
posts on his Facebook page, saying he was a victim of his own “British sarcasm, provocation and gallows humor,” but his explanations appeared to have little effect.

(The New York Times)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/22/2017 9:29:58 AM

Netanyahu, Trump, agree to create Judea and Samaria 'team'

Netanyahu speaks about Trump, Pence meetings, says US-Israel connection is seeing 'a new day,' forms team to deal with Judea and Samaria.

Arutz Sheva Staff,

Netanyahu and Trump
Reuters

Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu on Sunday morning at the start of the weekly Cabinet meeting spoke about his visit to the US and his meetings with US President Donald Trump and US Vice President Mike Pence.

"On Friday I returned from a historic visit to Washington, from my meeting with US President Donald Trump," Netanyahu began. "The alliance between Israel and the US has always been steadfast but, I said, I told them there and also here in Jerusalem: This alliance has become even stronger. It has become stronger for two reasons.

"First of all, there is a personal connection of many years between President Trump and myself, and it is important. But it is even more important due to the second thing that has become stronger and this is the common view about the dangers and opportunities in the Middle East. The two of us see eye to eye on the main – and growing – threat from Iran and the need to stand against Iranian aggression in the various spheres.

"We also see the possibility of trying to provide a basis for the growing regional interests that are forming between Israel, the US and countries of the region both to rebuff Iran and to develop other opportunities and normalization. In the end we hope to achieve peace. This is a fundamental change and, I would say, has accompanied all of our discussions and has formed the infrastructure of all the agreements between us.

"We agreed to create joint teams to upgrade relations between Israel and the US in all of the main areas: Security, intelligence, cyber, technology, economics and many others. We also agreed to create a team in an area that we have not previously agreed on: I mean, of course, on settlement in Judea and Samaria. We will also discuss this.

"I also met with US Vice President Mike Pence, who is also a great friend of the State of Israel. I met for the first time with Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and had a very good meeting. I also met with approximately 20 Senate and Congressional leaders, Republicans and Democrats alike, and again strengthened the bipartisan infrastructure of support for Israel, which, in the US, truly spans the entire country and population.

"I must point out that at the end of the meeting with the President, he shook my hand and defined relations between Israel and the US as 'a new day.' I must tell you that there is a new day here and it is a good day. There is also a new day here and there is no time for jet lag. After the Cabinet meeting I am leaving on an important visit to Singapore and Australia. I think that this is the first visit by a[n Israeli] prime minister to these important countries. We will strengthen security, economic and other ties with these countries," Netanyahu concluded.

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/22/2017 9:33:18 AM

Russia Compiles "Psychological Dossier" on Trump

Gina Mei
Cosmopolitan
Photo credit: Getty
Photo credit: Getty

From Cosmopolitan

In preparation for meeting him in person, Russian President Vladimir Putin wants to get inside U.S. President Donald Trump's head.

NBC, a group of retired diplomats and members of Putin's staff are currently compiling a "dossier on Donald Trump's psychological makeup" for the Russian leader. A senior Kremlin adviser revealed that "its preliminary conclusions is that the new American leader is a risk-taker who can be naïve," while former Deputy Foreign Minister Andrei Fedorov added that Trump "doesn't understand fully who is Mr. Putin - he is a tough guy."" data-reactid="16" style="margin: 0px 0px 1em;">According to NBC, a group of retired diplomats and members of Putin's staff are currently compiling a "dossier on Donald Trump's psychological makeup" for the Russian leader. A senior Kremlin adviser revealed that "its preliminary conclusions is that the new American leader is a risk-taker who can be naïve," while former Deputy Foreign Minister Andrei Fedorov added that Trump "doesn't understand fully who is Mr. Putin - he is a tough guy."

The dossier is being compiled in order to help the Russian leader prepare for his first official in-person meeting with the new president, which has yet to be scheduled.

NBC. "Trump is not living in a box - he is living in a crowd. He should listen to the people around him especially in the areas where he is weak."" data-reactid="18" style="margin: 0px 0px 1em;">"Very serious preparatory work is going on in the Kremlin, including a paper - seven pages - describing a psychological portrait of Trump, especially based on this last two to three months, and the last weeks," Federov told NBC. "Trump is not living in a box - he is living in a crowd. He should listen to the people around him especially in the areas where he is weak."

NBC points out, while it is normal for a world leader to be briefed on a rival leader before meeting with them, it's far less normal for them to request a dossier on their psychological state and way of thinking." data-reactid="19" style="margin: 0px 0px 1em;">As NBC points out, while it is normal for a world leader to be briefed on a rival leader before meeting with them, it's far less normal for them to request a dossier on their psychological state and way of thinking.

The news comes after much speculation and criticism about Trump's potential ties to Russia and their hacking of the 2016 election. The president has not yet commented on the matter.

(Yahoo News)

+1

facebook
Like us on Facebook!