Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
A Letter To Santa
12/25/2005 1:58:06 AM
Dear Santa, It's been a very long time since I've written to you, so I hope you will remember me. I was the little girl who used to leave you a piece of Mama's pecan pie and a bottle of ice cold Coca-Cola on Aunt Belle's marble-topped table across from the Christmas tree about 40 years ago. Well, here it is all these years later, and I'm hoping you haven't forgotten me; I'm banking on Mama's pie being the trigger that will bring it all back to you, since you never left a crumb on the plate! You're probably wondering why I haven't written to you in such a long time. Well, the best way I can explain it is that I have been a very blessed person, so I didn't feel like I needed to bother you when there were so many others who were not so fortunate. I felt they needed all the help you and the elves could bring to them to add your special magic to their lives, when mine was already so full. So I hope you will understand and forgive my not writing for all these years. But I have never forgotten you, and never stopped believing in you! This year, however, I feel that the time has come to once again send you a wish list. But this one will be a bit different from the days when I would spend hours roaming through the Sears catalog, trying to decide which toys I wanted most. This year the things I want are much more important than anything I might have found in a catalog back in those days. These wishes are the kind that could change lives forever. I will warn you right now that it's going to be a tall order for you and the elves to fill. I know that you're all busy working overtime right now as it is; but I thought I'd try any way. I know that, as much as you love us all, you will do your best to help me out as much as you can. So here goes: First of all, I wish everyone good health. No one deserves to be sick; but, unfortunately, there are far too many who are. It breaks the hearts of those who love them, and leaves them feeling so helpless and sad. I wish you could also arrange for everyone to be guaranteed the right to the best medical care possible - no matter who they may be, where they live or how much money they have or don't. Good health should not depend on how rich you are. Everyone should have a right to the best chance to have it. So, please, Santa, work really hard on this one! I wish you could help everyone remember what the word "family" truly means. Oh, I know families today are made up of different combinations than back in the days when I was a child - when they basically contained the standard components of a father, mother, brothers, sisters, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. Now they come in all varieties, and I think that's fine. To me, families are those who are connected by heartstrings, not necessarily blood lines. What bothers me is that far too many people seem to have forgotten what acting like a family really means. Help them remember, first and foremost, the children. Remind them that they may need the necessities of life, but that they also need other things just as much - if not more. They need time; attention; gentle, loving discipline; affection in words and actions. They need good examples of how to live their lives - not lectures that tell them one thing, and then the example of those who have given those lectures doing something that totally contradicts them as they go about their daily lives. They have the right to a home that gives them safety, warmth and nourishment for their bodies and souls; they have a right to be wanted; and most importantly of all, to be loved. They need to know that, while the adults in their lives may not like their behavior at times, they will never stop loving them. Maybe, if they had these things, it would help fill the holes so many of our children feel inside their hearts today, Santa. Can you help them, please? The adults in families could use a little help in their lives, too, Santa. Do you think you might be able to help them understand that we are all individuals with the right to live the way we choose? That, just because our way may not be in sync with theirs, doesn't make any of us wrong? It just means that we are each the individual creations that we were made to be. Every one of us was brought into this world with a gift to give. But we can't do that if someone is constantly trying to make us fit his idea of what we should be, instead of accepting us as who we are. Help us to remember that different is not the same as bad, and that we can love each other - in spite of any differences. Help us remember that families often have a lot of pain in their pasts that hasn't been healed. It lies there, bubbling under the surface, just waiting to erupt and ruin things for everyone. Help us understand that we all make mistakes, Santa; it's part of being human. Help us remember what the word "forgive" means and put it into practice. Help us realize that we all do the best we can with what we know; and, when we know better, we do better. Life is too short to hold grudges against the heartaches of the past. Holding grudges and seeking revenge may hurt the person that it's directed toward; but it will, over time, eat alive the person who is doing it. So no one wins. It's time for us to let the past go, forgive and move onward. We never know when there may not be a tomorrow with that one last chance to say, "I'm sorry for the pain I have caused you." We may not get that last chance to say, "I forgive you for not loving me in the way in which I needed to be loved, when you ! were loving me in the only way you knew how." Help us remember what a blessing a loving family is, and cherish it and protect it with all we have. Santa, help us remember what "home" is all about. It's not about the building itself, or the material possessions that fill it. Home is much more than that. Home is the center of our individual worlds. It's where everything in our life begins. Help us make sure that we live in homes - not houses - that are full of joy, laughter, kind words and love. Help us remember that they don't have to be spotless, perfectly decorated or mansions. They just have to be containers of the love and joy that will fill us and radiate through all the other parts of our lives as we go out into the world each day. They have to be places where those we love feel welcome and comfortable; they have to be places where we are centered and at peace in a life full of turmoil. They are indeed our refuges from a world that moves too fast, expects too much from us and is full of negatives. They are where we nourish and replenish our souls. They are, indeed, where the heart is. Help us remember that love should be given freely, with no strings attached, just like any gift. It is not something that we have to ration, so we don't have to make choices as to which person we love best and who comes in second or even last. Fortunately for us all, the heart is an expandable organ that will hold as much love as we want. So we have an unending supply of it to share with the world. The more we give out, the more comes back to us. We also need help in remembering that it's just as important to open our hearts to receiving love as to giving it. While it's true that allowing someone to love us may make us vulnerable to pain because we are trusting them not to hurt us, it is well worth the risk! After all, the greatest gift in the world was given out of love. Let us all remember to give love freely - even to those who may march to a different drummer than we do - and to receive it gladly and with humble appreciation. And, even more importantly, help us remember th! at sometimes those who are the most difficult to love are actually the ones who desperately need it the most. We all could use a refresher course in tolerance, while you're at it, Santa. The time has long since passed when people need to come to accept the fact that we are all, indeed, individuals. We are of different beliefs, different cultures, different faiths, different races, different sexes...the list could go on forever. If we limit ourselves only to allowing those into our lives who are just like us, we will be missing on the chance to experience a richness of the tapestry of life that is magical. Help us to realize we can learn from those who are different from us. We may not agree with everything that makes them different, but it's high time we accept their right to those qualities that make them unique. Our creator didn't take a cookie cutter and create us all alike. We were created specifically to be one of a kind. Help us celebrate that diversity. Let us stop judging, stop mistreating, stop condemning and stop hurting those who are not like us. It's time to stop the hate.! It's time for us to concentrate on coming together to make one universal world of love. It's time to accept the gifts we individuals can give to the world as a whole, if we are allowed to do so. There are some other things we need a little brushing up on, as well, Santa. Like responsibility. Help us remember that all our actions and our words have consequences - and that many of them aren't especially pretty these days. Help us be aware of the consequences of what we are doing, and take the time to think about whether or not we really want to bring those results into our lives and those of others. And, if we already have brought pain or ill will as a result of poor judgement in the past, what better time than now to start the process of seeking forgiveness, trying to repair hurts and trying to bring back the peace? Then there is the matter of friends, Santa. You know, when our Creator came up with the concept of friendship, He did a wonderful thing for us all. But we live so fast and so frantically these days that we often forget to take care of that gift. Friendships have to be nurtured and tended regularly. We have to be there for our friends to share the good times and bad in their lives and not just ignore them until we need them. That's friendship abuse, Santa, and we are guilty of that all too often. Help us remember that friends are those who are here for us during the best of times, the worst of times and never stop loving us - no matter how badly we may behave. Please feel free to give us a swift kick when we take that privilege for granted by not returning that grace to them. Help us try harder to be an uplifting presence in their lives, and to make time for them always. The world needs better education for everyone, Santa. Most of the world's problems could be helped a great deal, if not solved, by more knowledge. It seems to me that many of the negatives in life come from fear; and fear comes from not understanding. That's where education comes in. Everyone should have the right to as much education as they desire, regardless of their economic circumstances. And, even now with those constrictions, there is no reason for people not to be learning more every day. We all have options to open our minds and learn from every single experience in life, from every person who passes through our days, from everything we see. There are libraries virtually everywhere for those who can't buy books. There are literacy programs for those who cannot read - including adults. I know because I have worked with one of the best, and you are never, ever to old to learn to read or do anything else...if you want to badly enough. There are even television programs w! hich teach - if you get past the network drivel and surf a little further. But, before anyone can learn more, Santa, they have to be ready to open their minds to the experience - even if it means they have to admit to others and even themselves that they don't know it all. No one knows it all, Santa! But, if they want to badly enough to put some work into it, they can surely come a lot closer! We need to remember to take care of our environment better, Santa. After all, this earth is just on loan to us from our children, and we all know it's very bad form to return something in worse shape than when we got it. Help us see the beauty of nature and preserve it. Help us take care of our wildlife so that our children can see the wonders of all God's creatures. Help us remember that wildlife needs its natural habitat to survive, and stop destroying it piece by piece - just to make another dollar. If we don't take better care of our world, it's not going to be here for us or our children. Help us remember that, Santa. God spent a lot of time creating it; I don't think we need to be destroying such a miracle by our thoughtlessness and greed. Somehow, to me, that seems a sacrilege. Santa, help us realize we don't treat each other very well these days. We need to remember the power of words - how bad ones hurt, and good ones bring joy. Help us remember not to leave good things unsaid. We all need a pat on the back; it's time for us to remember that everyone else does, too. Is it so hard to give someone a little praise or encouragement? And help us keep our mouths shut when we can't manage to get our tongues around nice words. There's a lot of truth in that saying about making our words tender, in case we have to eat them. I'm the first to admit that sometimes we all have to bite our tongues until we think they're going to fall off to keep from saying those bad words; but I think we all need to try a little harder than we have been. I'm betting that our tongues won't fall off if we do, either! Help us treat others with respect, even when we aren't sure they deserve it. Sometimes they deserve a certain amount just because of the position they hold in life. And sometimes they may not have earned it, but might try harder to if they felt someone would give it to them if they did. It's worth a shot! Let us forget our smugness over what we perceive to be our own perfection as we judge others. Let us reach out to others with kindness and compassion. All too often we are so wrapped up in thinking, "Thank goodness that didn't happen to me," that we forget that whoever it did happen to might need a little extra support. How much does it cost to reach out with a little caring and concern? It could make all the difference in the world in how that person's life will go from that point forward. Help us remember how we would feel in their shoes, and treat them the way we would want to be treated instead of feeling so arrogant that our life is better. Help us remember that, except ! for a fluke of fate, the place they are in could have been ours. How would we want to be treated then? Santa, remind us to appreciate the things that decorate our lives. Help us enjoy a good, hearty, belly laugh over something funny. It not only makes us feel good, it also has great healing power. It's a scientific fact, if that makes it easier to crack that smile or laugh out loud; but I think the sheer joy of it should be all the motivation we need! Remind us to appreciate all the beautiful things in the world; we've been given such treasures in art, music, literature, and even nature. Let us absorb that into our lives and allow it to enrich us. These are the things that feed our souls and nourish our spirits; let us not forget them or take them for granted. Oh, and don't let us forget our furbabies, Santa. So many of us have pets who love us unconditionally. In fact, they are often much better at it than humans are. But many times we aren't so kind to them. Help us remember that they need more than food, water and shelter. They need love and time and attention, too. They are always here for us to give us their hearts. Help us remember to return the love! Help us take care of their needs, and deserve all the joy they give us. We need - especially at holiday time - to remember those who are working in service to our country while we are all busy celebrating. Help us remember those in the military who are standing watch over our freedoms, both at home and in the farthest corners of the world. Help us remember the law enforcement officers who are ensuring that our homes and highways stay as safe as possible. Help us remember the rescue squads who frantically work to keep alive those who might not see another holiday without them, and the medical staffs at hospitals who take over the job once they arrive there. All these people are unsung heroes who are indeed angels among us. Put a little extra blessing in each of their lives, Santa, as a way of showing our too-often unspoken appreciation for all they do. There was a time not so very long ago when we all had visions of a Norman Rockwell life - simple, honest, decent, caring, and loving. Then something happened and the world seemed to take a cynical turn. People got angry and bitter and frustrated, and some were even so filled with hate and rage that they took it out on their fellow man. This poison has now spread to our children, and far too many of them are in such pain inside that they are also acting out on their rage and cynicism. Santa, could we please have a little bit of that vision of life back that Norman Rockwell so beautifully painted for us? Oh, I know it can't be exactly like that because it never was. But, maybe - just maybe - if we all hold that vision in our hearts strongly enough, we will go forward into the new millenium and make this world a much better place. It has been said that, if you can believe it, you can achieve it. What a wonderful place to give that a try! So, I'm asking one last thing, Santa, and then I am done. Help each of us realize that, if we want a better world for the next millenium, it has to begin right here with each of us in our own hearts. While it's very rare for a single person to have the power to change the whole world, each of us does have the power to make a difference in our own little corner of it. We can reach out with love, forgiveness, kindness, tolerance and compassion. We can actively search for the positives in life and make them be our focus; and we can take the negatives and work really hard on turning them into more positives. We can take more time to be grateful and appreciative for the many blessings we all have, and reach out to those who are less fortunate. Each one of us can each shine a little light into the darkness, and together light up this old world with the glow of love and peace! And, if each of us makes a tiny ripple, we will eventually combine into a great wave of goodness. Thanks for listening, Santa! Fly safely as you make your rounds Christmas Eve, and know that we are all counting on you to help us use these gifts we're asking for to usher in a new year full of all the blessings life is meant to hold for each and every one of us. May God bless us, every one! Love, Mary Lynn P.S. The pie and Coca-Cola will be waiting for you, if the cats don't get it first! -------------------------------------------- Marilyn L. Ali
Marilyn L Martin
"The ALP & TGAMM Couple"
"Rick & Marilyn Martin...Married 11/17/06"
Spiderweb Marketing http://thespiderwebsystem.com/jamila

Traffic Tornado
http://traffictornado.com/x/p2.cgi/6053/

+0
Craftie Linda

1349 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: A Letter To Santa
12/25/2005 2:13:12 AM
Marilyn Thanks for your invite For your Santa story Seasons Greetings Linda
+0
Nan
Nan Herring

3059 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/25/2005 3:02:53 PM
wonderful wonderful letter
+0
12/25/2005 7:42:29 PM
Merry Christmas Best Wishes for a Prosperous New Year To All in 2006 May God Hold Those You Love Most Deep In The Palm of His Almighty Hands Always Dedicated I Remain With Warmest Holiday Wishes.
T.E.A.M. H.O.P.E. Together Everyone Achieves More Helping Other People Everyday If You Want Something Different Then You Must Do Something Different. Http://SuccessMastersExecutiveClub.com Meet You On Top, Dr King
+0
12/26/2005 12:16:55 AM
Thanks Marilyn! Merry Christmas! Blessings to you and yours!
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!