Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
The 70s
10/28/2007 10:17:08 PM

The 1970s were literally the "anything goes" decade. For some, the uglier and clunkier the fashion, the better. For others, soft and feminine was the answer. No matter what you "dug" though, making a fashion statement reached its apex in the 1970s.

The 1970s were an intensely tumultuous time, with various cultures and subcultures coming out into the open at once. Cynicism abounded as militant feminism, Civil Rights, the Watergate scandal, and the Vietnam War brought gritty reality to the forefront. These influences gave designers new ammunition, and the public was eager for the latest fashion wave.

The idealism of the 1960s had long since disappeared into the wind. There were increasing anxieties about global pollution and the exhaustion of the earth's natural resources. The 1970s had seen war in the Middle East, the war in Vietnam had ended, there was corruption in the highest levels of American government with Watergate and Nixon's resignation, an oil crisis, and the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia had turned its fertile land into killing fields. There was a daily diet of the world's troubles brought into the homes of the West through television.

Movies and television shows such as Charlie's Angels were having an increasingly profound affect on fashion. Cultural icons such as Wonder Woman created a lust for interesting boots-often teamed with hot pants or short skirts. Boots might be shiny, textured, bejeweled, or covered with psychedelic or floral designs, but they were seldom boring.

Dressing to shock was popular, and the Punk and Glam movements took it to an extreme. Designers pushed the envelope by decorating shoes for adoring-and outrageous-customers such as Elton John, David Bowie, and Cher. Designers took platform shoes to new heights, building 7- to 8-inch stacked heels and covering them in rhinestones, sequins, and other adornments.

The conservative media compensated by illuminating the romantic, the soft and the classicly beautiful. Historic revivals, covering many periods of history, continued. This trend, embraced by design houses such as Biba, Ossie Clark, and Yves St. Laurent, is apparent in the Edwardian-style court pumps, Roman-inspired sandals, and squared-off toe-reminiscent of the 1940s.

This era's fashions are also frequently marked by designers such as Givenchy, Norell, and Oscar de la Renta. The 1960s trend of mini skirts, bell bottoms, and long hair, lasted through this decade. Polyster knitted fabrics broke the ground to expand the continuing look. If you didn't wear polyster, the preferred textile was denim blue jeans. Skirts came in three lengths in the 1970s, mini, midi, and maxi. Television and film reflected the way people dressed such as Annie Hall and Saturday Night Fever. The latter half of the decade's fashions were heavily influenced by glam Rock 'n' Roll and Disco music.

Speaking of shoes, Nike debuted in 1972; the result of a fateful bit of ingenuity meeting a waffle iron. Running became a popular pastime, and running shoes were a functional necessity, especially for men (and Farrah Fawcett - see 'Charlie's Angels'!) The athletic craze was only just beginning though (see the 80s).

Not only did Nike hit the scene in 1972, but David Bowie's alter ego Ziggy Stardust came out.....in a big way. According to Bowie, the name "Ziggy" came primarily from the title of a London tailor's shop (called "Ziggy's") that Bowie observed from a train one day. In an interview he said that it was his private joke that because Ziggy Stardust was going to be largely about clothes, he had named him "Ziggy". But I digress....with a wham, bam thank you ma'am, GLAM was suddenly all the rage, on both sides of the pond. Boys borrowed girls' boas, blouses, slinky shirts and sometimes even their makeup. Bands like the New York Dolls had followings bigger than Elvis and it was hard to tell the girls from the boys! Fashion was all over the place by this point and in 1975 there was the natural romantics (think Gunne Sax), the earth mothers (think earth shoes and chukka boots), and now it was the girls turn to try out the boys’ style.

Diane Keaton, Woody Allen’s chanteuse in the neurotic 1977 venture movie 'Annie Hall', was very much unlike other leading ladies in one all-important area-this lady looked like a man (fashion-wise only of course). Men's shirts, ties, fedoras you name it. In the late 70’s, women’s lib was breaking free from the chains of old-fashioned female constrictions. There was a collective gasp in the late 60’s when girls donned ‘boys clothes’ and wore pantsuits outside the house, but this&ldots; this was outright stealing from their father's closet! That wacky Annie wore men’s blazers, baggy pants, vests, oversized shirts, ties and floppy hats-sometimes all at once, or sometimes just a men's jacket was an accessory.

Happy Days. Popular 70s Trademarks: Feathered hair, bell bottoms, short shorts, mopeds, disco and glam, roller skating, 8-track tapes, puka beads, - mini, midi and maxi skirt lengths, movie Thank God It's Friday, movie Roller Boogie, movie Saturday Night Fever, movie Grease, chukka boots, STUDIO 54, Pet Rocks, Star Wars, Wacky Packs (trading cards), KC & the Sunshine Band, ABBA, arena rock, David Bowie, Boston, Kansas, Styx, fringe, angel flights (pants), Happy Days & Laverne and Shirley (TV shows).

AT YOUR SERVICE. Drop A Line With The Pros!! http://www.goneclicking.com/?rid=7178 http://www.protrafficshop.com/?rid=5719 Chief Administrator & Support
+0
Jim
Jim Allen

11253 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: The 70s
10/28/2007 10:42:12 PM

Thomas my friend, you have reminissed about a favorite time of my life. 

The seventies were great for me, even with all the changes and expressions and events that made history.  At the time I was consumed with finding the next party, going to the next concert and praying the war would end before I could be drafted.  It did. 

Oh there were so many great concerts.  I was into Elvis, ZZ To, Black Oak Arkansas, Molly Hatchet, Grateful Dead, Hendrix, Janis, Charlie, LYNRD SKYNRD RULES!!!  Plus Willie, Waylon and the Boys YeeehhhhhhAAAAA!!!!

And the women ohhh goodness, they taught me so much.  :-)

Thanks for some "Happy Days" remembered.

Jim

May Wisdom and the knowledge you gained go with you,

Jim Allen III
Everything You Need For Online Success

+0
Thomas Richmond

15469 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/28/2007 10:49:39 PM
Jim you have got it man, whatever (IT) is you got (IT) fun times truly good days and some not so good , another story but the 70s were a time of couriousity and coming of age for me. It was  one of my JD downline members that gave me an idea of this feature. Thank you Judy. Thanks Jim for your comments my good friend. Enjoy your evening.
AT YOUR SERVICE. Drop A Line With The Pros!! http://www.goneclicking.com/?rid=7178 http://www.protrafficshop.com/?rid=5719 Chief Administrator & Support
+0
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
10/29/2007 2:15:20 AM

Hey Tom,

What a piece of work!! Great article and the research, WOW.

First of all till this day my favorite and almost only form of dress are denims. Love them and people have learned to accept me with my jeans at all times and almost at all functions.

What I find most interesting is that I returned to Israel after serving 4 years in the USAF. I was into the pre 70's part of the Vietnam war and it was enough for me. And, as I said what was and is still interesting is that everything that happened in the US happened in Israel. It might have taken a month or two for the fashions to reach us and take hold here but never the less samo, samo. Same music, same fashion and towards the mid 70 very similar TV programs with many of the US programs shown here (still are to this day).

As you most probably know we had our share of wars in the 70's and unfortunately still do in this decade. So in addition to the "drama" of Vietnam we had our own wars as well.

But all in all the 70's were great fun and until I got married it was one great party (we did work as well).

Once again Tom, thanks for the great thread.

All the best & Shalom,

Peter

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
Dimitra Bravou

1603 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
10/29/2007 2:29:50 AM
Hi Thomas,

What a decade my friend! I have so many to remember from those years.

I was 15 in 1970 and during this decade I finished high school, I started working, I got married and in 1978 I had my first daughter.

I sometimes look at my photo albums and I think I'm back again and live those moments.

Thank you for this flashback in our years of youth.

Dimitra
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!