Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
PHILOXENIA: LOVE AND SOUL (Eros and Psyche) ~ Greek Valentine Story
2/13/2009 7:52:46 PM

A special Dedication to all my friends

On Valentine’s Day 2009

The myth, as you know tells the tale of a beautiful woman, Psyche and the prophecy of her life as told by the oracle. 

Eros and Psyche

The goddess Aphrodite, jealous and envious of the beauty of a mortal woman named Psyche, asked her son, Eros, to use his golden arrows to cause Psyche to fall in love with the most vile creature on earth. Eros agreed but then fell in love with Psyche on his own.

When all continued to admire and praise Psyche's beauty but none desired her as a wife, Psyche's parents consulted an oracle, which told them to leave Psyche on the nearest mountain, for her beauty was so great that she was not meant for man. Terrified, they had no choice but to follow the oracle's instructions. But then Zephyrus, the west wind, carried Psyche away to a fair valley and a magnificent palace where she was attended by invisible servants until night fell and in the darkness of night the promised bridegroom arrived and the marriage was consummated. Eros visited her every night to sleep with her, but demanded that she never light any lamps, since he did not want her to know who he was.

Eros even allowed Zephyrus to take Psyche back to her sisters and bring all three down to the palace during the day, but warning that Psyche should not listen to any argument that she should not try to discover his true form. The two jealous sisters told Psyche, then pregnant with Eros' child, that rumor was that she had married a great and terrible serpent who would devour her and her unborn child when her time came for it to be fed. They urged Psyche to conceal a knife and oil lamp in the bedchamber, to wait till her husband was asleep, and then to light the lamp and slay him at once if it was as they said. Psyche sadly followed their advice. In the light of the lamp Psyche recognized the fair form on the bed as the god Eros himself, and cursing her folly, attempted to kill herself with the knife she had intended to use on him. However, she dropped the knife, and her spirits were raised as she gazed on the beautiful young god. She curiously examined his golden arrows, and accidentally pricked herself with them, and was consumed with desire for her husband. She began to kiss and stip him and herself, but as she did, a drop of oil fell from Psyche's lamp and onto Cupid's chest and he awoke. He flew away, but she caught his ankle and was carried with him until her muscles gave out, and she fell to the ground, sick at heart.

The god Pan who was nearby, advised Psyche to seek to regain Eros' love through service.

Psyche then found herself in the city where one of her jealous, elder sisters lived. She told her what had happened then tricked her sister into believing that Eros had chosen her as a wife instead. She later met the other sister and deceived her likewise. Each returned to the top of the peak and jumped down eagerly, but Zephyrus did not bear them and they fell to their deaths at the base of the mountain.

click above - Credits to ΠΛΩΤΙΝΟΣ

Psyche searched far and wide for her lover, finally stumbling into a temple to Demeter where all was in slovenly disarray. As Psyche was sorting and clearing, Demeter appeared, but refused any help but advice, saying Psyche must call directly on Venus, the jealous shrew that caused all the problems in the first place. Psyche next called on Hera in her temple, but Hera, superior as always, said the same. So Psyche found a temple to Aphrodite and entered it. Aphrodite ordered Psyche to separate all the grains in a large basket of mixed kinds before nightfall. An ant took pity on Psyche and with its ant companions separated the grains for her.

Aphrodite was outraged at her success and told her to go to a field where golden sheep grazed and get some golden wool. A river-god told Psyche that the sheep were vicious and strong and would kill her, but if she waited until noontime, the sheep would go to the shade on the other side of the field and sleep, she could pick the wool that stuck to the branches and bark of the trees. Aphrodite next asked for water from the Styx and Cocytus flowing from a cleft that was impossible for a mortal to attain and was also guarded by great serpents. This time an eagle performed the task for Psyche. Aphrodite, outraged at Psyche's survival, claimed that the stress of caring for her son, made depressed and ill as a result of Psyche's unfaithfulness, had caused her to lose some of her beauty.

Psyche was to go to the Underworld and ask Persephone, the queen of the Underworld, for a bit of her beauty in a box that Aphrodite gave to Psyche. Psyche decided that the quickest way to the Underworld would be to throw herself off some high place and die and so she climbed to the top of a tower. But the tower itself spoke to her and told her the route through Taenaron that would allow her to enter the Underworld alive and return again, as well as telling her how to get by Cerberus by throwing him a sop and Charon by paying him an obolon, how to avoid other dangers on the way there and back, and most importantly to eat of no food whatsoever; for otherwise she would dwell forever in the Underworld. Psyche followed the orders explicitly and ate nothing while beneath the earth.

However when Psyche had got out of the Underworld, she decided to open the box and take a little bit of the beauty for herself. Inside, she could see no beauty; instead an infernal sleep arose from the box and overcame her. Eros, who had forgiven Psyche, flew to her, wiped the sleep from her face, put it back in the box, and sent her back on her way. Then Eros flew to Mount Olympus and begged Zeus to aid them. Zeus called a full and formal council of the gods, and declared it was his will that Eros might marry Psyche. Zeus then had Psyche fetched to Mount Olympus, and gave her a drink made from Ambrosia, granting her immortality. Although some say their daughter was named Bliss, and some say she was named Delight (in Roman mythology she was named Volupta, which can mean either), the meaning of the name was intended to be joyful.

Happy Valentine’s Day,
Georgios

Wordlist:
Eros ('Έρος): Son of Aphrodite.
Eros ('Έρως): God of love.
Hera, First lady and Queen of Olympus, Zeus wife
Persephone, Goddess of the Underworld
Zephyrus, God of one of the winds (breeze)

ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: PHILOXENIA: LOVE AND SOUL (Eros and Psyche) ~ Greek Valentine Story
2/13/2009 8:42:01 PM

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY

The story of Eros and Psyche has been written by Apuleius, it covers the central part of his work "Metamorphosis" and extents to two books. It is one of the first story myths written during the 2nd century AC and has been read and loved by a large number of people.

An old lady is telling the myth of Eros and Psyche to a young woman, who has been captured by pirates and is waiting for ransom to be paid in order to be reunited with her loved one. Hence, the choice of the myth, since Psyche has been separated from her husband also and at the end of the story she meets him again.

According to Walsh in "The Roman Myths and Stories", the myth of Eros and Psyche derives from a Platonist myth and becomes popular in the Hellenistic Age.

Psyches's Dream
Copyright Josephine Wall

Many thanks to Vasilis Chletsos [ΠΛΩΤΙΝΟΣ]

I am a member in his yahooGrou and I have subscribed in his YouTube 

For Greek speaking friends the whole story of EROS and PSYCHE

is in Greek in clip.

Vasilis is born 1968 in Athens, where he is settled and works. He speaks four languages. He is member of Greenpeace, WWF, Unissef and the doctors without borders. His hobby is to study ancient cultures, Greek philosophy and esoterics. Many of his articles have been announced in the press.

More of his work:

Books:

1. Mysticism and divine in Greece and the ancient world.

2. Man and Earth

3. The lost arc of the philosofy of the Greek mysteries

+0
Patricia Bartch

9394 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/13/2009 8:59:21 PM

Georgios, thank you my sweet friend for posting the romantic myth of Psyche and Eros. This myth is about humans ~ although we are not perfect, we have the ability to carry out hard tasks till they are done. 

This story is about LOVE.  LOVE is the Answer!  Love is the BE all and END all!

Georgios, Happy Valentine's Day to you and your dear wife.

God Bless, Pat 

TURN UP THE VOLUME !!    My little nephew Steven sang this song at my wedding IN 1987.  Everytime I hear his song, it brings happy tears to my eyes.  I'm such a romantic!

1977 ~ Debbie Boone singing
You Light Up My Life

((youtube id="wxo0lsJnx-U&feature=related"))((/youtube))

So many nights, I'd sit by my window,
Waiting for someone to sing me his song.
So many dreams, I kept deep inside me,
Alone in the dark, now you've come along.

And you light up my life,
You give me hope, to carry on.
You light up my days
And fill my nights with song.

Rollin' at sea, adrift on the waters
Could it be finally, I'm turning for home
Finally a chance to say, "Hey, I Love You"
Never again to be all alone.

And you light up my life,
You give me hope, to carry on.
You light up my days
And fill my nights with song.

You, You light up my life
You give me hope to carry on
You light up my days
And fill my nights with song
It can't be wrong, when it feels so right

Cause you, you light up my life

I'm Your AVON LADY: http://youravon.com/pbartch *Ask me how to get FREE Shipping.
+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/13/2009 9:10:36 PM

What a story, Georgios!  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  Thank you for this tribute to your friends for Valentine's Day - and what a great Love Story to go along with it.

Hugs and love.  Have a perfectly wonderful Valentine's Day!!

Judy
Bird Watching Tips

+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
2/13/2009 9:24:49 PM
Hello Patricia!

I kept place to update! This is a good lesson of life, love and live to be. Love is above everything. Psyche in this plot is the symbolism present in all stages of her course: her high destiny, the rise, the fault but also for god Eros' who through initiation ordeals will lead him to awakening, his triumph and divinity.

Eros and Psyche
Happy Valentine's Day
Georgios

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!