Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Fibromyalgia Treatment...Medications That Can and Can't Help
2/18/2008 10:27:41 PM
Here is an article on medications that are used by some to treat fibromyalgia symptoms.

This content is selected and controlled by WebMD's editorial staff and is funded by Pfizer.

Fibromyalgia Treatment: Medications That Can and Can’t Help

Doctors prescribe various types of medications for fibromyalgia treatment. While medications can help relieve the pain, they likely won't eliminate the pain entirely. But they can make life with fibromyalgia much better -- helping you sleep restfully, easing depression and anxiety, and improving your overall sense of well-being.

As you discuss medications with your doctor, ask questions. Some medications work better than others as a fibromyalgia treatment. Some have serious side effects, including potential for addiction.

Because no fibromyalgia medication will provide all the relief you need, work closely with your doctor. You need a complete treatment plan that also involves lifestyle changes -- all geared to help you feel better.

Seizure Medicine (Anticonvulsants)

• Lyrica (pregabalin) is a new fibromyalgia treatment -- an anticonvulsant that is the only FDA-approved medication for fibromyalgia. Lyrica is also approved for reducing some types of seizures, and for treating nerve pain caused by shingles and diabetes. Clinical trials show that Lyrica reduces pain and improves daily functioning in many people with fibromyalgia. The most common side effects included mild to moderate dizziness and sleepiness.
  • Another antiseizure medication called Neurontin (gabapentin) has also been studied as a fibromyalgia medication. It is not FDA-approved for fibromyalgia.

Antidepressants

Antidepressants can help relieve pain and promote better-quality sleep, even if you aren't depressed. They are typically prescribed in low doses for fibromyalgia treatment.

• Tricyclic antidepressants, such as Amitril or Elavil (amitriptyline), Sinequan (doxepin), Tofranil (imipramine), Aventyl or Pamelor (nortriptyline), or trazodone (Desyrel) appear to have multiple positive effects in relieving fibromyalgia. These drugs work with the serotonin and norepinephrine nerve transmitters in the brain. They have been found to relieve muscle pain and spasm, and improve deep restorative sleep. However, they may have side effects like weight gain, dizziness, tiredness, and dry mouth. 
  • Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), such as Prozac (fluoxetine), Paxil (paroxetine), or Zoloft (sertraline) may reduce depression and fatigue, and help manage pain by increasing the serotonin in the brain. 
  • Research suggests that adding Prozac (fluoxetine) to low-dose Amitril or Elavil (amitriptyline) reduces muscle pain, anxiety, and depression in fibromyalgia patients. The combination helps promote restful sleep and improve overall well-being -- helping patients feel less fatigued, more cheerful, and alert. 
  • An SSRI like Prozac and tricyclic antidepressant like Elavil are often prescribed together to reduce muscle pain, anxiety, and depression -- and improve sleep as well as overall sense of well-being. 
  • Serotonin and norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) -- known as mixed (or dual) reuptake inhibitors -- may help relieve fibromyalgia pain and depression, and improve functioning. Cymbalta (duloxetine), Desyrel (trazodonel), and Effexor (venlafaxine) have shown promise.

Analgesics

Analgesics can be used as a treatment for fibromyalgia -- helping break cycles of pain, relieving flare-up pain, and reducing muscle spasms.

• Anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen and naproxen have limited use as fibromyalgia medications. Take these only after talking with your doctor. They have serious side effects when used long-term -- and may interact negatively with other medications you are taking. Acetaminophen (like Tylenol) is a better choice because there is less risk of complications -- but too much can lead to liver problems. 
  • Ultram (tramadol) and Ultracet (tamadol/acetaminophen) are prescription pain relievers that may be helpful as fibromyalgia medications. 
  • The muscle relaxant Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) can help reduce pain and improve sleep. 
  • Local injections of analgesics and/or cortisone at painful trigger points are especially effective in breaking cycles of pain and muscle spasm.

Other Medications

Narcotics and cortisone medications are not used as a treatment for fibromyalgia. They have not been shown to be beneficial, and long-term use makes you dependent on these drugs.  

Benzodiazepines like Klonopin (clonazepam), Valium (diazepam), and Ativan (lorazepam) can help relieve symptoms of fibromyalgia -- but they also have the potential for addiction.

©2005-2007 WebMD, Inc. All rights reserved.
WebMD does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Fibromyalgia Treatment...Medications That Can and Can't Help
2/19/2008 3:00:58 AM
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Leonie Parker

67 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
2/19/2008 5:35:01 AM

Hi Donna,

That is very useful info. I have a friend who may have fibromyalgia, so I will pass it on. Also save it in my health file.

Thank you

Lee

Renew & restore your health:
http://elcee.stemtechbiz.com.au
Build your Wealth Portfolio
http://join4adollar.com/?ref=leepar
+0
2/19/2008 7:54:20 AM
Thanks for the report. I get a newsletter from Fibromyalgia Assoc. and when Lyrica was approved the comment was that the side effects sounded worse than the disease. I have added this just as a note of humor.
Shirley Manion MoneyMakers, Shopping, blogs, fun places http://www.connectionsecrets.com/webmasterhelpers Shopping Bargains and Deals Connections http://www.connectionsecrets.com/bargainshopping Your own fun Iggly Biggly business for only $20.00 h
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!