Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Peter Fogel

7259 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Happy Chanukah - Adam Sandler's Chanukka Song - Part 1-2 -3Hello Friends, C
12/15/2012 9:34:41 AM
Hello Friends,

Here's another Chanukka song but this time with modern pop music. Hope you enjoy it.

Shalom,

Peter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KyKWUpSMegE

Peter Fogel
Babylon 7
+0
12/16/2012 3:02:18 PM
Adlandpro is one of my fave sites as the people are fanta-bulous, the networking is great, having a place to share ads and info rocks! For over 20 years now I've been part of a huge T.E.A.M., where "Together Everyone Achieves More." Our dreams and goals are to help as many folks succeed as possible no matter what occupation or biz you are in. I have 3 main blogs or websites, including expertise in blogging, forums, communities, network marketing, social networking, advertising, lead generation, SEO & more. Love connecting with like-minded individuals. Thanks so much, Mark Stephen Hauser of http://www.facebook.com/martinezshopper and my main blog https://martinezshopperdotws.blogspot.com/
+0
11/28/2013 2:43:49 PM
Happy Chanukah Peter. :)

Thanksgivukkah 2013: 3 Facts You Need To Know About The Thanksgiving Hanukkah Hybrid Holiday

November 25 2013

Thanksgivukkah

For the first time since 1888, the Jewish holiday of Hanukkah will be celebrated on Thanksgiving Day. The hybrid holiday has been dubbed Thanksgivukkah with families across the U.S. finding unique ways to celebrate the special event.

For the first time since 1888, Thanksgiving and Hanukkah will converge, marking the first joint celebration of the two holidays aptly named Thanksgivukkah.

This year Thanksgiving Day will mark the first day of Hanukkah – the eight-day festival that celebrates the rededication during the second century B.C. of the Second Temple in Jerusalem, when Jews revolted against their Greek-Syrian oppressors called the Maccabean Revolt. Since Hanukkah starts on Wednesday at sundown, the second candle will be lit on Turkey Day.

The “once-in-a-lifetime” holiday is being marked by Jews across America by decorating their homes with turkey menorahs known as menurkies and dreidels decorated with birds known as turkels to commemorate the special event, the Associated Press reports.

“I think it’s a nice way to integrate the two holidays,” Lori Rashty, a teacher at Detroit’s Hillel Day School, said. “Since we’re not going to see it again for 79,000 years, it’s kind of an exciting way for the kids to realize that it’s a special occasion for them.”

For those unfamiliar with the hybrid holiday, below are answers to common questions surrounding Thanksgivukkah:

Why Does Thanksgiving And Hanukkah Fall On The Same Day?

The Jewish calendar uses a 12-month lunar-solar calendar with an extra month occasionally added in, making holidays fluctuate from year to year. Secular dates that follow the Gregorian calendar also change, and in 2013, the holidays are very early.

Hanukkah, usually falls close to Christmas, making it a well-known holiday regardless of religion. But this year the holiday is slowly “slipping back in time.”

"The Jewish calendar self-corrects somewhat, with a 'leap month' in early spring, but in a lunar calendar all the holidays wander," Robert Alter, founding director of the new Center for Jewish Studies at UC Berkeley, told the San Francisco Chronicle.

When Is The Next Thanksgivukkah?

The next time Thanksgivukkah will be celebrated is in 79,043 years from now, according to one estimate. Another suggests Thanksgivukkah will take place in 2070 and 2165. Others believe the convergence of the two holidays will never happen again.

What Are People Doing To Combine The Holidays?

While Thanksgiving is a secular holiday, it focuses on food – a major part of most Jewish holidays. Hanukkah is no exception.

“Instead of mashed potatoes, we’ll make latkes,” Tracy Truesdell from Minneapolis told CBS News. “I’m a very traditional cooker, so I prefer just regular potato latkes.”

Others have concocted hybrid recipes including pumpkin challah, beef and potato latkes, and Manischewitz ice cream.

Online Jewish gift stores are also banking on the unusual holiday. Manischewitz is selling do-it-yourself gingerbread houses advertised as Hanukkah houses. T-shirts with sayings like “Gobble Tov,” turkey menorahs, dreidel salt and pepper shakers, and dishware are among the many Thanksgivukkah souvenirs used to mark the holiday.

And while one holiday is religious and the other secular, families have found creative ways to find similarities between the two.

"At the time of Hanukkah, we are thankful for the miracles and blessings in our lives," Rabbi Danielle Upbin of Congregation Beth Shalom in Clearwater, Fla., told the Tampa Bay Times. "In that light, I think the motif of gratitude and rededication are interlinked."

Asher Weintraub, a fourth-grader from New York, agrees.

"I think they're similar because we all get together with our families and we're thankful for what we have," Weintraub told Reuters. "There's something funny about Hanukkah and Thanksgiving coming together."

+0
11/28/2013 2:48:22 PM

A Brief History of Potato Latkes for Hanukkah

But in the 1800 and 1900s, potatoes became a staple. Many European cultures have their own version of potato pancakes. And while the fried patties are good year round, they became the perfect way to commemorate Hanukkah.
+0
11/28/2013 2:53:50 PM
For November Holidays, A Turkey Of A Menorah

Asher Weintraub

Meet the maker of the ‘Menurkey’

Nine-year-old Asher Weintraub was inspired by this year’s rare confluence of Hanukkah and Thanksgiving. His invention? The Menurkey, a turkey-shaped menorah.

On the way back to the Upper West Side from Florida on a family vacation last December, Asher Weintraub’s mother, Caroline, mentioned an upcoming anomaly she had just discovered on the Internet — Chanukah and Thanksgiving will coincide this year for the first time in history.

“Cool,” said Asher, a 9-year-old at P.S. 87 in Manhattan. “They’re two of my favorite holidays. There should be something to celebrate it.”

After tinkering on his computer and negotiating with his parents, Asher’s “something” turned into a Chanukah menorah in the shape of a turkey.

He calls his idea a “menurkey” (menurkey.com) and is trying to raise $25,000 on Kickstarter (kck.st/1d2vZrq) to produce several hundred to sell in time for the dual November holidays. The Kickstarter deadline is Sept. 12.

The fundraising campaign reached about 60 percent of its goal by early this week, and Anthony Weintraub, Asher’s father, says he is optimistic about raising the rest by next week.

After designing several 3-D models on a kid-friendly computer-design program, Asher submitted to manufacturers plans for two-such Thanksgiving menorahs — one ceramic, one plaster. The selling price is still to be determined.

His filmmaker parents, members of Congregation Rodeph Sholom, supported Asher’s idea.

His idea “has taken us down a road of 3D design and printing, ceramic molding and casting, and an endless stream of emails and calls with artisans, manufacturers and fulfillment,” the Kickstarter pitch states.

Asher “gets passionate about a lot of things,” Anthony Weintraub says. This time, his enthusiasm spread to his parents and to friends who heard about the idea. “There’s something about this hybridization of holidays,” two celebrations of religious freedom, which captured people’s interest.

If the Kickstarter campaign succeeds, production and promotion will start immediately. “The timing is very limited,” Weintraub says; Chanukah and Thanksgiving won’t overlap again until 2070.

If the menurkey sells, Asher says he will donate part of the proceeds to charity and put the rest into his college fund. He hopes to become a video-game designer.

This year, the family will be home for Chanukah and Thanksgiving before heading south again on their annual vacation.

This year, Anthony Weintraub says, they’ll celebrate Chanukah with a menorah that their son designed. “I’m sure of it.”

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!