Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Come on over turkey and see what I am cooking up for Thanksgiving
11/5/2007 2:20:55 PM

Hi Beryl,

Thanks for the Invite.

First of all, a little Turkey Trivia

Amaze your friends with your knowledge about the most popular bird during Thanksgiving.

Here are some interesting facts:

As far back as 1000 A.D., Native American Indians raised turkeys for food. Aztec Indians in Mexico were raising them as early as 200B.C.

Turkeys originally existed in the eastern US. and Mexico.

The turkey industry grosses over $1billion a year.

The Average American consumes over 15 pounds of Turkey per year.

Americans consume over 675 million pounds of turkey on Thanksgiving Day.

Turkey, like poultry, is lower in cholesterol than beef an many other meats. The dark meat (thigh, legs,) contains more fat and cholesterol than white meat. So, that's why dark meat tastes so good!

Male Turkeys are called "Toms", female turkeys are called "Hens" and baby turkeys are called "poults".

Turkey eggs are tan in color and speckled with brown. They are about twice as large as chicken eggs.

In 1947, the first Presidential pardon was ceremoniously given to a turkey.

That long, loose skin that hangs down from a turkey's neck is called a "wattle".

Sleepy after the big meal? Turkey contains an amino acid called "Tryptophan". Tryptophan sets off a chemical chain reaction that calms you down and makes you sleepy.

The wishbone is a tradition of Thanksgiving. Allow the wishbone to dry. Then, two people grasp each end of the wishbone. After making a silent wish, they pull it away. Whoever gets the joint portion, gets their wish.

Did you Know? Benjamin Franklin argued that the Turkey should be our National Bird. He stated that it was more respectable and a native of North America.

Now that you know much more than you could possibly ever want to know about a Turkey, a little something else to chew on

With a main dish of lean poultry and a traditional dessert made from squash, you wouldn't think that eating Healthy at Thanksgiving would be so difficult. But estimates of the calories in the traditional Thanksgiving dinner range from anywhere to 2,000 to 4,500, depending on what you put on the plate. Given that people of average size who get moderate activity should average between 1,600-2,400 calories per day, sounds like there might be a battle of the bulge ahead.

So with that in mind, I leave you with a little Poem

Thanksgiving 8000 calorie poem

May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey be plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
have nary a lump.
May your yams be delicious
and your pies take the prize,
and may your Thanksgiving dinner
stay off your thighs!
-Unknown

Now there's plenty of "Food for Thought" to chew on.  I'll be back with some Recipes for some real food later.

Have A Beautiful Week,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/5/2007 2:22:32 PM

Hi Beryl,

You are making me so hungry - I will have to start cooking early!!!  I will keep coming back to see "what's cooking!!"  I love the graphics too!!

Blessings, my friend.  This is a great froum!!

Judy

+0
Phillip Black

5931 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/5/2007 2:47:20 PM

Hi Again Beryl,

Just couldn't resist a little something to tide us over until the Big Day.

Tasty Pumpkin Roll

Ingredients:

1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)

3/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 large eggs

1 cup granulated sugar

2/3 cup Pure Pumpkin

1 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)

1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, at room temperature

1 cup powdered sugar, sifted

6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla extract Powdered sugar (optional for decoration)

Directions:

FOR CAKE:
PREHEAT oven to 375° F. Grease 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin, cotton kitchen towel with powdered sugar.

COMBINE flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan. Sprinkle with nuts.

BAKE for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. (If using a dark-colored pan, begin checking for doneness at 11 minutes. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack.

FOR FILLING:
BEAT cream cheese, 1 cup powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.

COOKING TIP:
Be sure to put enough powdered sugar on the towel when rolling up the cake so it will not stick.

With A Hot Cup of Spiced Coffee or Apple Cider it's almost Heavenly.

Have A Beautiful Evening,

Phil

“There may be trouble all around, but I am calling you to a place of peace. Be still and know that I am God. Come to Me, and I will give you wisdom, strength, and grace for everything you face." Psalm 46:10
+0
Beryl Payton

2592 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/6/2007 12:27:22 AM

Hi Phil,

Loved the history lesson, a lot to digest in one sitting.  Just funning my friend.  hehehe.   I really did love it.  I never knew what they called a baby turkey.  The poem was delightful.  Thanks for stopping in and your contribution.  Hurry back, can't wait to see your real recipes, and additional food for thought.

t5Fblessings.jpg picture by jeana900

Blessings,

Beryl

This Is The Healthy Lifestyle Feature-rich Information Website - Family Owned and Operated Vial Virtual Solutions Helping Business to Achieve Their Dreams
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!