Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Beryl Payton

2592 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Come on over turkey and see what I am cooking up for Thanksgiving
11/2/2007 1:06:16 AM

Hi Linda,

I will definitely have to try this one.  Have never had any pumpkin bread before.  It sounds great.  I have an idea that by the time the Holidays are in full swing I will need to be dieting.

I appreciate the return visit, got any more good recipes?  Linda, what happened to the baked beans?

Blessings,

Beryl

This Is The Healthy Lifestyle Feature-rich Information Website - Family Owned and Operated Vial Virtual Solutions Helping Business to Achieve Their Dreams
+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/2/2007 7:13:46 AM

Hi Beryl,

I just got this recipe from a friend!  Looks like a before dinner snack, but sounds healthy and good!!

HOT HOLIDAY BROCCOLI DIP

1 cup Light Mayo
1 pkg. (10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed, well drained
1 jar (2 oz.) diced pimientos, drained
1/2 cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 cup 2% Milk Shredded Reduced Fat Mozzarella Cheese, divided
WHEAT THINS Reduced Fat Baked Snack Crackers

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Combine dressing, broccoli, pimientos, Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese.
SPREAD into 1-quart baking dish or 9-inch pie plate.
BAKE 20 to 25 min. or until heated through. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese. Continue baking 5 min. or until mozzarella cheese is melted. Serve with the crackers.

I have to try the pumpkin bread too - I love pumpkin bread!!! And, it looks pretty easy and quick - my kind of recipe!!

Blessings,

Judy

+0
Beryl Payton

2592 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/2/2007 2:12:32 PM

Hi Judy,

The Brocolli dip recipe sounds so delicious.  It's amazing what others fix and eat and what is traditional for some, is only enhanced with these lovely added recipes of others.  If you have a huge gathering like we always have on Turkey day, you can use the additional ideas.

Thanks for sharing.  Off to find some Thanksgiving potpouree to get this party rocking.

hbirth4.gif picture by jeana900

Blessings,

Beryl

This Is The Healthy Lifestyle Feature-rich Information Website - Family Owned and Operated Vial Virtual Solutions Helping Business to Achieve Their Dreams
+0
Beryl Payton

2592 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/2/2007 2:53:04 PM

historytitle.jpg picture by jeana900

The First Thanksgiving

There are only two references to the fall or harvest celebration that we
know today as the "First Thanksgiving." It is not known exactly when the
event occurred, but it was between September 21or 22 when a group of
Plymouth men returned from Massachusetts, and November 9, 1621, when the
ship Fortune arrived. "Mourt" refers to the name "G. Mourt" who signed the
dedication at the beginning of the book. It is thought that this was
George Morton, who arrived on the Anne in 1623. The tradition of the
Pilgrims' first Thanksgiving is steeped in myth and legend. Few people
realize that the Pilgrims did not celebrate Thanksgiving the next year, or
any year thereafter, though some of their descendants later made a "Forefather's Day"
 that usually occurred on December 21 or 22. Several Presidents, including George Washington,
 made one-time Thanksgiving holidays. In 1827, Mrs. Sarah Josepha Hale began lobbying several
Presidents for the instatement of Thanksgiving as a national holiday, but her lobbying was
unsuccessful until 1863 when Abraham Lincoln finally made it a national holiday with his
1863 Thanksgiving Proclamation. Today, our Thanksgiving is the fourth Thursday of November.
This was set by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1939 (approved by Congress in 1941), who
 changed it from Abraham Lincoln's designation as the last Thursday in November (which could
occasionally end up being the fifth Thursday and hence too close to Christmas for businesses).
 But the Pilgrims' first Thanksgiving began at some unknown date between September 21 and November 9,
 most likely in very early October. The date of Thanksgiving was probably set by Lincoln to somewhat
 correlate with the anchoring of the Mayflower at Cape Cod, which occurred
 on November 21, 1620 (by our modern Gregorian calendar--it was November 11 to the Pilgrims who used
the Julian calendar).

Foods Available to the Pilgrims
For their 1621 Thanksgiving

The following is a fairly complete list of the foods available to the Pilgrims during the three-day Thanksgiving harvest celebration. As can be seen in the above two quotations, the only foods specifically mentioned by the Pilgrims are: "corn" (wheat, by the Pilgrims usage of the word), Indian corn, barley, peas (if any where spared), "fowl" (Bradford says "waterfowl"), five deer, fish (namely bass and cod), and wild turkey.

FISH: cod, bass, herring, shad, bluefish, and lots of eel.

SEAFOOD: clams, lobsters, mussels, and very small quantities of oysters

BIRDS: wild turkey, goose, duck, crane, swan, partridge, and other miscellaneous
waterfowl; they were also known to have occasionally eaten eagles (which "tasted
like mutton" according to Winslow in 1623.)

OTHER MEAT: venison (deer), possibly some salt pork or chicken.

GRAIN: wheat flour, Indian corn and corn meal; barley (mainly for beer-making).

FRUITS: raspberries, strawberries, grapes, plums, cherries, blueberries, gooseberries
(these would have been dried, as none would have been in season).

VEGETABLES: small quantity of peas, squashes (including pumpkins), beans

NUTS: walnuts, chestnuts, acorns, hickory nuts, ground nuts

HERBS and SEASONINGS: onions, leeks, strawberry leaves, currants, sorrel, yarrow,
 carvel, brooklime, liverwort, watercress, and flax; from England they brought seeds
and probably planted radishes, lettuce, carrots, onions, and cabbage. Olive oil in small
 quantities may have been brought over, though the Pilgrims had to sell most of their oil
and butter before sailing, in order to stay on budget.

OTHER: maple syrup, honey; small quantities of butter, Holland cheese; and eggs.

October of 1777 marked the first time that all 13 colonies joined in a thanksgiving
celebration. It also commemorated the patriotic victory over the British at Saratoga.
But it was a one-time affair. George Washington proclaimed a National Day of Thanksgiving
 in 1789,
 although some were opposed to it. There was discord among the colonies, many feeling the
hardships of a few Pilgrims did not warrant a national holiday. Here is his proclamtion:

Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey
 His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and
Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me "to recommend to
the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by
acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially
by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety
and happiness:"

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be
devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who
 is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may
then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and
protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal
and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and
 conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which
we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable
to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly
 the national one now lately instituted' for the civil and religious liberty with which
we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and,
in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to
the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other
transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our
 several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government
a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional
laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and
nations (especially such as have show kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments,
 peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and
the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such
 a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789.
(signed) G. Washington

And later, President Thomas Jefferson scoffed at the idea of having a day of thanksgiving.
 It was Sarah Josepha Hale, a magazine editor, whose efforts eventually led to what we
recognize as Thanksgiving. Hale wrote many editorials championing her cause in her
Boston Ladies' Magazine, and later, in Godey's Lady's Book. Finally, after a 40-year campaign
 of writing editorials and letters to governors and presidents, Hale's obsession became a reality
 when, in 1863, President Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday in November as a national
day of Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was proclaimed by every president after Lincoln. The date
was changed a couple of times, most recently by Franklin Roosevelt, who set it up one week to
the next-to-last Thursday in order to create a longer Christmas shopping season. Public uproar
 against this decision caused the president to move Thanksgiving back to its original date
two years later. And in 1941, Thanksgiving was finally sanctioned by Congress as a legal holiday,
as the fourth Thursday in November.

Blessings,

Beryl

+0
Beryl Payton

2592 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/2/2007 4:35:10 PM

Hi All,

How about some laughter.  I know I could use some.

Here are my idea of Thanksgiving jokes.

If April showers bring May flowers what do May flowers bring?
Pilgrims!

Why did the turkey cross the road?
It was the chicken's day off.

Why do turkeys always go, "gobble, gobble"?
Because they never learned good table manners!

What sound does a space turkey make?
Hubble, hubble, hubble.

Why did the police arrest the turkey?
They suspected it of fowl play.

Why did the Indian chief wear so many feathers?
To keep his wigwam.

Why did they let the turkey join the band?
Because he had the drumsticks

What happened to the Pilgrim who was shot at by an Indian?
He had an arrow escape.

'Twas the night of Thanksgiving, 
but I just couldn't sleep... 
I tried counting backwards, 
I tried counting sheep. 
The leftovers beckoned...the dark meat and white, 
but I fought the temptation with all of my might. 
Tossing and turning with anticipation, 
the thought of a snack became infatuation. 
So, I raced to the kitchen, flung open the door 
and gazed at the fridge, full of goodies galore. 
I gobbled up turkey and buttered potatoes, 
stuffing with gravy, green beans and tomatoes. 
I felt myself swelling so plump and so round, 
till all of a sudden, I rose off the ground. 
I crashed through the ceiling, floating into the sky 
with a mouthful of pudding and a handful of pie 
But, I managed to yell as I soared past the trees... 
Happy eating to all -- pass the cranberries, please.

Asked to write a composition entitled, "What I'm thankful for on Thanksgiving," a student wrote, "I am thankful that I'm not a turkey."

A turkey farmer was always experimenting with breeding to perfect a better turkey. 
His family was fond of the leg portion for dinner and there were never enough legs for everyone. After many frustrating attempts, the farmer was relating the results of his efforts to his friends at the general store get together. "Well I finally did it! I bred a turkey that has 6 legs!"
They all asked the farmer how it tasted.
"I don't know" said the farmer. "I never could catch the darn thing!" 

636714a8kwt2ive5.gif picture by jeana900

Beryl

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!