Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Joelees Wholesale

5917 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Re: What is GREENWIZ?
9/16/2007 10:35:21 PM

JUDY !

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/17/2007 8:25:32 AM

Lee, that is one of the most beautiful red roses I have ever seen!!  Thank you.

You can grow them, just like that in your garden if you look for the information you need for all of your plants in Green Wiz!  I got some great tips for making my gardens the best they ever were this summer from GreenWiz, which was the reason I joined! 

Now, it is one awesome team of fellow gardeners and together our collective efforts will make this worls a much more beautiful place and much more prosperous for all of us as we grow that Money Tree!

Thanks, for the rose and for being my friend.

Judy

+0
Joelees Wholesale

5917 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
9/17/2007 3:17:11 PM

Judy,

You are so right on , Today I created and listed on the GREEN TEAMS website my Autumn Garden :-) 

Welcome To Autumn Gardens,

I chose to talk about Arbutus unedo with the common name of Strawberry Tree, coming from the strawberry-shaped red fruit that hangs on this tall shrub in autumn.A dwarf form gets no taller than five feet . In fall, both flowers and fruit hang from this shrub at the same time. Some varieties of this broadleaf evergreen can grow as a tree reaching 35 feet tall, while other dwarf varieties can be maintained as a shrub. The exfoliating red-brown bark adds great texture, as it ages with twists and gnarls up and down the trunk. 

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Blue Bird'

Osmanthus heterophyllus 'Variegatus' blooms in October and November, filling the garden with its fine fragrance. Although I like the flowers, the beauty of this shrub is its variegated leaves that give a holly look-a-like presence in the garden. This six foot tall shrub, with its creamy white-striped leaves, brightens my fall and winter garden. I plan to add Osmanthus heterophyllus 'Purpureus' to the garden for its holly-like leaves, with dark purple new growth in spring and fragrant autumn flowers. These two shrubs produce black fruit following the flowers, which is yet another reason to introduce them to your garden.

Hydrangeas are not normally thought of for the fall garden; yet so many of the flowers hang on during the early part of the season. The one I enjoy in autumn is the Oak-leaf hydrangea, Hydrangea quercifolia. The flowers reliably hang on for a time, but the burgundy and red tints the foliage takes on make this shrub worthwhile to grow for year round interest. H. macrophylla 'Blue Bird' (left photo) has beautiful fall colors and their lacecap flowers hang on into fall.This list of great shrubs for the fall garden is far from complete. I hope this at least gets you thinking about shrubs for your autumn garden and Join Our Green Team .

You’ll be glad you did!   

The Green Team

Together we will do our best to make a Shrub Gardens Grow $ Green $ !

Thank You Gods Speed Smiley Lee

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/17/2007 3:27:13 PM

Hi Lee,

Can you tell me what part of the country this would do well in?  I do not recognize it as something that is prevalent on the East Coast.  I am in Pennsylvania. 

Now that is question we can get answered at Green Wiz if you don't have the answer!  All for the little $5 a month!

It truly is beautiful.  I know the hydrangeas and as mine bloom late, I consider them part of my fall garden.

Judy

+0
Joelees Wholesale

5917 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
9/17/2007 3:48:16 PM

Hi Judy,

Its A very easily grown and trouble-free plant, it does best in a nutrient-rich well-drained moisture-retentive soil in sun or semi-shade. It also grows well in heavy clay soils and in dry soils. Most species in this genus require a lime-free soil but this species is fairly lime tolerant. Especially when young, it prefers a fairly sheltered position and dislikes cold drying winds. It is, however, surprisingly tolerant of strong winds if they are not from the cold northerly and easterly quarters and can succeed in fairly exposed positions near the coast. This is a very good tree to grow in towns because it tolerates industrial pollution.

The plant is hardy in most parts of Britain and also Known in Spain as "modroño".  

Hope that helps if not get more  at Green Wiz they will have the answer!  All for the little $5 a month!   :-) Lee

You’ll be glad you did!   

The Green Team

Together we will do our best to make a Shrub Garden Grow $ Green $ !

Thank You Gods Speed Smiley Lee

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!