Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Basics of Email Etiquette
8/29/2007 10:32:20 PM

Tip 1-Using All Caps

How annoyed are you by those raucous auto dealership commercials where the guy with the obnoxious voice is screaming at you why you need to come on down and buy a car TODAY? I know that as soon as I see or hear one of those commercials starting, I change the channel.

The same is true for email. When you write in ALL CAPS, you are yelling. You may not think you are; you're just trying to get the recipient's attention, right? Not only do people not like to be yelled at, but they will sometimes automatically discard emails that are written in all caps.

There are many marketers who say it's OK to use all caps in the subject line, but I believe the best rule of thumb is to be discriminating. If you have a catchy subject line, it doesn't have to be in all caps to be noticed. 

Now there ARE times when using caps is appropriate. For instance, use caps when you want to emphasize a key word, such as FREE, HUGE, NEW, INCREDIBLE, etc. This can be done in the subject line and/or the body of the email. If you keep the caps to a minimum, you will be able to draw the reader's eye to the most important points of your email.

Would you like to learn more about email marketing? Please go here:

Empowerism

+0
Judy Smith

4550 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Basics of Email Etiquette
8/30/2007 6:51:34 AM

Good morning, Jim!

Great information.  I have bookmarked your Empowerism site too to take a look at it closely a bit later today!!

I tend to use dashes and exclamation points and CAPS - Boy, people probably think I am an old meany!!  I'm not though - actually quite the opposite!

Thanks again for some great information on email marketing.  I can use all the help I can get!

Have a great day!

Judy

+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/30/2007 8:38:57 AM

Hi Judy, I'm going to do a series on email marketing. Then I'll do something else when I'm done with that!!

+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/30/2007 10:16:13 PM
Hello Brother James !

Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
James Wright

2397 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
8/30/2007 10:40:54 PM

Ahhhh Nick, I get the sensation now my friend!!!!! I used to have a girlfriend whose last name was Mifsud. Unfortunately, I used to call her misfit. I shouldn't be giving away my secrets now, but she is not here to defend herself, so I don't think it matters!!! Not.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!