Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
RE: MUSIC MAKES THE HEART FLUTTER
12/9/2011 2:00:19 AM

Hi Beryl, Branka and now Kathleen. I am thoroughly enjoying this thread and all the contibutions from everyone. Beryl here is an article about this song you may not have known, I know I certainly didn't but I must say I do remember a lot of the things mentioned in this article. Enjoy :)

Elvis Presley, King of Rock and Roll,

Love Me Tender Premiered in New York
Did you know that Elvis Presley had Cherokee ancestry and November is American-Indian Month?
Let me tell you about an exciting time before the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Dixie Cups, and Diana Ross and the Supremes came on the music scene with their wonderful music.
In 1956, Americans loved President Dwight Eisenhower, Fats Domino sang “I found my thrill on Blueberry Hill”, Buddy Holly and the Crickets appeared at New York’s Paramount Theater and “Love Me Tender” starring Richard Egan, Debra Paget and introducing Elvis Presley premiered at the Paramount Theater that is located at 43rd Street and Broadway in New York’s Times Square Theater District.
It was a time of Henry J automobiles, shopping at Woolworths Department Stores, going to drive-in double-feature movies and drinking a RC Cola with a moon pie and….
Fifty five years ago Elvis Presley fans gathered at New York’s Paramount Theater under a huge 40- foot cut-out of the King of Rock and Roll, on Thursday, November 15, 1956, to take part in the premiere of “Love Me Tender”, a wide screen, “Cinemascope” motion picture.
In 1956, Coke was still a nickel, popcorn a quarter and a movie just a quarter for a kid. It was a time when wide screen movies that included the 3-D dimension were first introduced.
Elvis Presley appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1956 and performed “Love Me Tender” for the first time….And, because of the unprecedented advance sale of over a million copies of that RCA recording, making it a “Gold Record” before it was even released; the producers for the movie changed the title from The Reno Brothers to Love Me Tender.
Love Me Tender was a great hit for Twentieth Century-Fox, despite a few negative reviews. Many more, however, gave it thumbs-up saying “Elvis can act.” Young ladies, Elvis’ true fans, could not control their excitement and screamed for joy throughout the movie.
If you could hear the movie with all the excitement, you were treated to a good story…..
About a Mother’s love for her family and the love triangle within a Southern-Texas family who were recovering from four years of terrible war. To make things more complicated, the Reno Brothers and fellow Confederates held on to the money that they took during a raid on a Union gold shipment. They did not know the war had ended when they took the money.
What a movie, with Elvis Presley singing 4 songs, a wonderful musical score by Lionel Newman and the great movie direction by Robert D. Webb who also directed: The Proud Ones and On the Threshold of Space during that same year.
The song “Love Me Tender” came from the Southern War Between the States era song “Aura Lee.”
The movie also starred veteran actors Neville Brand, Robert Middleton, James Drury, William Campbell and a very credible and heart-warming performance by Mildred Dunnock as the Mother of the Reno Brothers.
Elvis Presley attended a private screening of the movie on November 20th at the Loews State Theater in Memphis, Tennessee prior to its nationwide release on November 21st. During the screening Elvis’s Mother, Gladys Presley cried at the death of her son’s character at the end. Elvis Presley would insist that his characters would not die again on the screen. The death scene, however, would become famous as many people, young and old, wept at the movie’s ending that highlighted Elvis’ character singing Love Me Tender as the family walked away from his grave.

Calvin E. Johnson Jr.

Quote:
Love this one also.

Blessings,
Beryl

+0
12/9/2011 2:24:18 AM
Ladies here is Whitney Houston singing "I Will Always Love You" a song written by Dolly Parton, something a lot of people may not know. I can remember watching Dolly sing on a Knoxville Tennessee TV station when she was in her early teens, and long before she became famous, as my siblings and I were getting ready for school. Hmmmm, now that has been a few years. :)
Quote:
This is not a love song in the conventional sLadiesense; Parton wrote it for a close friend. In 1967, she was invited by Country star Porter Wagoner to co-host his TV show, where they became famous for their duets. In time though, her enormous talent eclipsed that of her mentor, and she moved on to greener pastures. She wrote the song for him to show her appreciation for the time they had worked together. (thanks, Alexander Baron - London, England)
This was the second of 5 consecutive #1 Country hits that Parton had after establishing herself as a solo artist.
Parton later recorded a second version of this song for the 1982 film The Best Little Whorehouse In Texas, which she starred in along with Burt Reynolds. The second version not only became a #1 Country hit (like the first version), but also became a crossover hit, reaching #53 on the pop charts.
During the popularity of her first version of this song, Elvis Presley wanted to cover it. Parton was interested, but when she found out that she would have to sign over half of the profits in order to give him the chance, she thought twice.
In the 1974 film Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, the first version can be softly heard in the background of a scene where Ellen Burstyn's character Alice Hyatt meets a violent good-old boy named Ben Eberhart (played by Harvey Keitel). Despite this, the song is not featured on the film's soundtrack. (thanks, Jerro - New Alexandria, PA, for all above)
When this song was chosen for the 1992 film The Bodyguard, it proved to be a huge benefit for both Parton and Whitney Houston. It helped revive Houston's career (which struggled somewhat beforehand) and as Houston's version became a worldwide success in Pop music, both artists have managed to receive a huge amount of royalties from it. While Parton's version was a Country ballad, Houston's version attracted audiences of Pop, Soul, and Adult Contemporary. Houston's version managed to be a #1 Pop hit in a variety of countries, including the US, the UK, Canada, Australia, France, Germany, Japan, and Netherlands.
In 1995, Parton recorded a third version of this song with Vince Gill as a duet. This version became a Top 20 Country hit and won the 1995 Country Music Association Award and received a Grammy nomination.
Other artists who have covered this song include Kenny Rogers, Linda Ronstadt, Sarah Washington, and Roger Whittaker. (thanks, Jerro - New Alexandria, PA, for above 3)
We wonder how many people would be surprised to find out "Always Love You" is not a conventional love song, but was penned by Dolly for a close friend rather than a lover. (See the first Songfact).
+0
La Nell !

3647 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/9/2011 3:12:23 AM
Beryl and Mary Evelyn, Myrna just posted Elvis, Blue Christmas in my forum. Here it is on youtube. Elvis got his start on the Shreveport,La hayride. LaNell
+0
Kathleen Vanbeekom

13305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/9/2011 5:01:54 AM

Here's "Stand" by R.E.M. (I posted the parody of this song..."Spam" by Weird Al Yankovic) in Michael Caron's forum Music Sensation Extension)

STAND by R.E.M.

Stand in the place where you live
Now face North
Think about direction
Wonder why you haven't before
Now stand in the place where you work
Now face West
Think about the place where you live
Wonder why you haven't before

If you are confused check with the sun
Carry a compass to help you along
Your feet are going to be on the ground
Your head is there to move you around

(repeat 1st verse)

If wishes were trees the trees would be falling
Listen to reason
Season is calling

(repeat 1st verse)

If wishes were trees the trees would be falling
Listen to reason
Reason is calling

So Stand (stand)
Now face North
Think about direction, wonder why you haven't before
Now stand (stand)
Now face West
Think about the place where you live
Wonder why you haven't

(repeat 1st verse)

Stand in the place where you are (Now face North)
Stand in the place where you are (Now face West)
Your feet are going to be on the ground (Stand in the place where you are)
Your head is there to move you around, so stand.
They didn't face South or East, I wonder why not?? :(
+0
12/11/2011 5:02:05 PM

Hello Beryl and friends. I would like to take this opportunity to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year and may your days be merry and bright. It is hard to believe that another year is almost gone. Hope you enjoy this video by the lengendary Johnny Cash. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKzLJdKw1sc&feature=related

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!