Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Arthur Webster

600 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: The Mythology Behind Global Warming
5/12/2007 10:54:33 AM

Hi, Georgios,

The recent conference was scheduled for a very short duration and was not a real investigative conference at all - as the list of "known facts" very clearly demonstrates.

The Ice and the glaciers are smelting - - true in some small areas but the general concensus is that there is now MORE ice than there has been for some time - it is just in different places - the increase in sea ice is particularly impressive.

Seasonal temperature difference after 1970 - - is measured by some weather stations that are affected enormously by local conditions. Weather stations removed from large urban areas are showing a consistent downward trend in temperatures.

The global water reservoirs are decreasing - - but nobody is saying where the water is going. It is not in the atmosphere because cloud cover is relatively stable and it is not in the sea because sea levels are not showing the increases that the estimated lost volume of water should give rise to - the only places it can be is in the newly formed ice in the polar regions. (Or it is being syphoned off into space by some process of which we are not yet cogniscent.)

In an earlier post I gave references which will take you to, literally, thousands of pages of opinion, facts and graphical demonstrations of the climatic history of the Earth - some going back over 100,000 years (from ice core samples).

The temperature fall has been sustained, now, for over fifty years and there are quite a few posts in this and other forums about the personal observations of forum members. For example, the Costa del Sol has just experienced its coldest start to May in living memory - although we are back to normal now.

The problem we all have is that the cyclical nature of the weather and the major factors that affect it are simply not sufficiently understood for an accurate, long term forcast to be made.

The Old Coot

DISCLAIMER

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE THE HONESTLY HELD OPINIONS OF ARTHUR WEBSTER. (aka THE OLD COOT) THEY ARE ADDRESSED TO ALL OF THIS COMMUNITY AND, IN NO WAY, CONSTITUTE A PERSONAL ATTACK UPON PERSONS LIVING, DEAD OR FICTIONAL. IF YOU THINK THAT YOU HAVE BEEN ATTACKED AND YOU CAN LOOK INTO YOURSELF AND SEE THAT IT IS NOT PARANOIA THAT DRIVES THIS THOUGHT - CONTACT HIM AND TELL HIM WHY. 

+0
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/12/2007 4:45:15 PM
Hello Arthur,

The statements are ballanced on true facts not only from the last conference, they are generally accepted.

I agree with you that the experts can not give explanations to what happened to all water reservoirs. As you say the water is not in the atmposphere. What I am sure at is that North East Africa has big problems, Ethiopia, Sudan, Eretria, and parts of Sahara. Perhaps the problem is in the tropical areas (Amazon, Kongo, Indonesia).  Less tropical forests means less oxigyn, less photosunthesis, more monoxide and dioxid. The ecologists warn for an ecosystem in imbalance.

I read your earlier posts, which doesn't mean that I wanted re-mention waht you wrote. I made a scepsis and I had to build it up by give my points.

The temprature difference the last 10 years is only + 1°C. This is not a big difference. Maybe this isn't to worry about. I said earlier we are going to an ice tide and there are always periodical differences on the clima sometimes in the opposite direction.

Kindly Regards
Georgios

ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+0
Arthur Webster

600 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
5/12/2007 6:02:02 PM

Hi, Georgios,

The statements are ballanced on true facts

Are you suggesting that the thousands of pages of scientifically collected data that can be found at the references I gave for are not true facts?

I'm quite sure the scientists whose job it is to record these data would be a little upset if the data was being ignored or doubted.

The major problem for climatologists is that they are at odds with governments which have started this whole scare campaign and can't see their way to acknowledging that some of the data are corrupted by local factors - like many square miles of concrete and the stripping of vegetation.

The difference in temperature for the last ten years is nothing like 1ºc if you exclude corrupt data - and ten years is not a sufficiently large time span from which to draw conclusions.

The lack of, or disappearance of, water is something about which many people are concerned and it will spark a great deal of trouble between countries that have water and those that don't - but that is a scare story for another day, apparently. The only plausible explanation that has been postulated so far is that the water is locked up in the new ice that is being formed.

For more than fifty years, now, the mean adjusted temperature has been in decline but it started from a level that was lower than that of the last inter glacial - when mankind was not a factor. 

Regards

The Old Coot

DISCLAIMER

THE VIEWS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE THE HONESTLY HELD OPINIONS OF ARTHUR WEBSTER. (aka THE OLD COOT) THEY ARE ADDRESSED TO ALL OF THIS COMMUNITY AND, IN NO WAY, CONSTITUTE A PERSONAL ATTACK UPON PERSONS LIVING, DEAD OR FICTIONAL. IF YOU THINK THAT YOU HAVE BEEN ATTACKED AND YOU CAN LOOK INTO YOURSELF AND SEE THAT IT IS NOT PARANOIA THAT DRIVES THIS THOUGHT - CONTACT HIM AND TELL HIM WHY.

+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/13/2007 4:07:42 AM
Hi Georgios,

In answer to your first question, yes, there IS a lot of mythology involved with global warming.  One of the biggest myths of all is that we have as much affect on the planet as we would like to think.   Our greatest affect is on ourselves;  the pollutants that we continue to pump into our air, land and water are killing us, but not the planet.  This planet is very resilient and has proven time and again that it can heal without any help from us.

Secondly, there is a lot of evidence (use the search terms "mini ice age" on Google) that suggests that we are, at this time, in a mini ice age that has lasted for over 600 years, since around 1400 AD.  The scientific evidence for this includes archeaological evidence, geological evidence and records from that time.  If you find this an interesting subject, you will find that information MOST interesting to go through.  It is quite intriguing.

One of the reasons some scientists now believe that the plague known as the Black Plague was so bad in Europe was because of the sudden drop in temperature around 1400 AD that made it impossible to grow some common sustenance crops such as wheat and grapes in areas where they had been grown as far back as anyone knew.  Those crops STILL will not grow and mature in those areas (like northern England, Scotland, and at higher elevations in Germany.)

If you look at global weather maps, you will notice that there are localized areas where the temperature seems to be on an upward trend.  These tend to be in the high north and the extreme south.  However, they are not across the entire north, nor are they across all of Antarctica.  In the areas where these warm spots exist, the ice IS melting, but in many other areas, the ice (in glacial form) is actually accumulating.

There is quite an amazing example of how quickly this can happen just a few short kilometers from my house.  The snow continued to fall MUCH later this year, and is still present at considerable depth over a large area that should be covered with blossoming plants and flowers at this time.  At higher elevations, where the snow is usually completely gone by mid August, there will not be a long enough warm season for it to melt, this year.  What we have is the beginning of brand new glaciers, and if the weather trend continues this way and becomes a yearly pattern, we will have many new and many growing glaciers over a very large portion of our mountainous province.

Earth went through such periods many times and survived.

I agree.  There is much evidence to support such a statement.  What this strongly suggests is that the whole system is cyclical and completely beyond our control.  What we DO need to do, is to clean up the way we do things so that our air, water and land is clean and safe to use, and then learn how to live happily with whatever kind of climate we find ourselves in.

God bless,

Dave

+0
5/13/2007 4:58:49 PM

I couldn't agree more. The earth has had many period of warming and cooling and far more dramatic.

I call it the Con of the 21st Century. see my blog article if you are interested in my view of Global Warming and why Govt's have leapt on the band wagon.

http://whatshappening-dailycomment.blogspot.com/search/label/Global%20Warming

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!