Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Ice Ages and Global Warming Rapid (Rabid?) Change...
4/26/2007 11:51:46 AM

Hey Arthur,

I didn't realise you were in Spain.  Whereabouts?  We looked at moving there as well, but we are very comfortably catered for - healthwise, in the much derided French Social Security system, and now as an OAP it is far more secure to stay here.

We are Central East France - close to the Swiss border (nearest town Lons-le Saunier - where the French National Anthem was created by Rouget de Lisle). As such we are close to the Jura Mountains - more hills really, and where the Jurassic bit comes from - but you would probably know that anyway. Mind you - you should see some of our neighbours!

Our house is one of those old stone farmhouses with walls about three feet thick, and about 300 years old.  This has 2 effects -it is cool in the Summer and b----y cold in the Winter!  So all our heating costs hit us between November and say March - and when I say 'hit' - I MEAN 'hit'!  It costs about 25 euros a week to heat the place including  the big woodburning fire during this time. I think 25 euros is about 30 US dollars.

On my pension this is a major consideration, and fortunately we own the place outright and have no debts of any description, so is our only serious  financial consideration.

We have just had the place valued and have been pleasantly surprised to find that it has increased in value by two-thirds over the past two years, se we are plotting on selling up and moving back the the South West - direction Toulouse-Biarritz, where it is warmer.   Mind you it is a very pleasant 30 degrees at the moment, with the sun on the Jura, so it is all very enjoyable - even with the cows farting!

Incidentally, the TGV have a magazine similar to an airline inflight one, and the Boss has just returned from a week in Paris and regaled me with the printed knowledge that the average cow farts 37 times a day!  If you think how much methane this is creating it's a wonder we can all breathe isn't it?

I am rambling again - must be that red stuff in glasses.

Cheers (hic!)

Norm

Norm Clark
+0
Arthur Webster

600 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
4/26/2007 12:34:31 PM

Hi, Norm,

A bit off topic, I suppose, but I live about 35 kms inland on the Costa del Sol in Coín, midway between Málaga and Marbella.

Like yourself, I find the health service here a fantastic improvement on what I was getting from the YUK - that, combined with the weather means that this Old Coot isn't thinking of moving anywhere else.

The only thing that seems to be a threat here is earthquakes - we seem to have a great many tremors so I sometimes wonder if I should not start a  whole new panic about the south coast of Spain slipping into the Med!

Your house sounds charming - if you sell it - do it in summer - then find yourself a third floor apartment in a four floor block and save €25 a week!

Did you hear about the French farmer who sealed the top of his cow bier so that he could collect and compress the farts and run his old Landrover on them? I believe the Landrover didn't run but he now gets all his heating free! Save money and the environment at the same time - that's the way the French do it.

The Old Coot

+0
Arthur Webster

600 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
4/26/2007 12:36:12 PM

Oops - incompatiblility - Coin

and                              25 euros 

+0
Arthur Webster

600 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
4/26/2007 12:37:13 PM
and   Malaga
+0
The political angles in global climate changes is causing the confusion
4/26/2007 4:36:49 PM
Neil, Let me tell you what is poisonous... How am I suppose to let people know that chemicals and toxins from indoor air pollution is extremely more dangerous than outdoor air? http://www.concernedmoms.com/

But the liberal democratic side is telling us that rising CO2 levels and greenhouse effect are the cause for alot of our problems and we are causing it?  "culture of fear" tactic

But I have the conservative republic side telling us that the sun and magnetic fields is causing the global climate change, which is true, but don't do shit about it and just take advantage of the science for their personal gain, but don't invest more funding in monitoring cosmic rays and solar flares?

And no one's taking advantage of global connections and energy efficiency through our different time zones for extreme drops in nuclear energy, with water, wind, and solar energy sources combine for the entire planet.  Well... that is if the UN really care about that stuff. NOT

Get real... both parties are at fault (and not just the US), because nobody did anything effectively for the climate changes.  Which they knew about since the early 80's.  This will continue.  And health problems will get worse, more bees will keep dying, and they will continue to secretly keep poisoning us for population control, because governments re-direct the publics attention for personal gains through media manipulations and fear tactics.  They saw how effective this was from Hitler and ran with it. This has not changed for either party until the people change first.

I agree with you Dave, people are not looking at the big picture, so let's go over what happened with Hitler:

http://www.ess.uwe.ac.uk/documents/osssection5pt1.htm

It was not only Hitler, the madman, who created German madness, but German madness which created Hitler. Having created him as its spokesman and leader, it has been carried along by his momentum, perhaps far beyond the point where it was originally prepared to go. Nevertheless, it continues to follow his lead in spite of the fact that it must be obvious to all intelligent people now that his path leads to inevitable destruction.

From a scientific point of view, therefore, we are forced to consider Hitler, the Fuehrer, not as a personal devil, wicked as his actions and philosophy may be, but as the expression of a state of mind existing in millions of people, not only in Germany but, to a smaller degree, in all civilized countries. To remove Hitler may be a necessary first step, but it would not be the cure. It would be analogous to curing an ulcer without treating the underlying disease. If similar eruptions are to be prevented in the future, we cannot content ourselves with simply removing the overt manifestations of the disease. On the contrary, we must ferret out and seek to correct the underlying factors which produced the unwelcome phenomenon. We must discover the psychological streams which nourish this destructive state of mind in order that we may divert them into channels which will permit a further evolution of our form of civilization.

Don't delete my cookies, They're YUMMY!!
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!