Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Computer Security Tips
3/7/2007 11:11:09 PM
Hi Friends, Just picked up a few trogans and thought I'd pop this one up to remind you too! :) There seems to be some confusion over anti-virus programs, firewalls, and anti-spyware programs. These are the 3 basic security programs you should have running on your computer, if you want to surf the Internet safely. But what do they do? How many of each should you have? How and when should you run and update them? Here is a brief review. An anti-virus program, as the name implies, catches and keeps out viruses, trojans, worms and other junk that circulate on the Internet. There are more than 150,000 of them, with new ones added every day. You should have only one anti-virus program running on your computer, otherwise they will conflict with each other, and cause crashes and other problems. It runs in the background, so you don't have to do anything except make sure it updates itself every day or two, or do a manual update yourself. A firewall hides your computer on the Internet, so hopefully you won't be attacked by malware in the first place. If you are, the firewall should prevent the rogue program from communicating with its master via the Internet. Again, you should only have one firewall on your computer, otherwise they will conflict with each other. Your firewall also runs in the background. Updates are infrequent, so check in the program or watch your email, as we discussed last week. Spyware, malware and other evil programs can steal your passwords, slow down or hijack your computer, throw ads at you, etc. etc. You can have as many anti-spyware programs as you want; you should have at least two, because sometimes one will catch what the other misses. You usually must launch and run these programs yourself. Run them one at a time. Update them at least once a week. by Syd Tash Have a Virus Free Day !!! :) Thanks Leanne Busby http://www.aussie-money-tree.biz http://www.aussie-money-tree.info
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Computer Security Tips
3/8/2007 5:16:40 PM

Thanks Leanne,

You're on top of it again.  I appreciate this little lesson.

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!