Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: Fathers in the home
1/28/2007 11:55:39 PM
Hi Mary, You brought up a very important point: The third point is related to the first paragraph about fathers in the homes. It is time that the young men step up and take responsibility for creating a new person. Even women without husbands in this generation can teach their young sons that they are to respect women, which means taking responsibility for the family they will create. Get them jobs at a young age and show them how to pay bills rather than buying the fanciest shoes, coats, cars etc. Give them household jobs, taking them grocery shopping, start a savings account etc. Fatherless homes are becoming an epidemic on this planet. This is a cross-cultural problem that is leaving thousands of children without any proper understanding of what a father is or what the role of the father is. It is very important and hard work to properly raise children. It is a shame and shameful that so many young men are shirking their responsibilities and leaving the whole load of supporting AND raising kids to the mothers. I really don't believe that most young single moms are single moms by choice (although some certainly are.) Even society today does little to support fatherless children. At one time, society was taught to give support to the fatherless, which, of course, gave support to the husbandless mothers, but now it has transitioned from a watered down responsibility to support only the parentless children to "it's the government's responsibility." Since governments are made up of many people whose only motivation is political expediency, the kids get dropped through the cracks and end up being raised by television, baby-sitters, daycare, public school, and peers. Is it any reason they are messed up? I would like to see this same experiment carried out with kids of light-coloured skin. It's highly likely that we would see the same basic results, meaning the problem is a cross cultural problem with the way our kids are being raised and taught. God bless, Dave
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/29/2007 4:00:57 AM
Dave. It would be interesting to see another study, if dolls could be presented of the child's race along with a white doll, i.e. native American, oriental, or strong dominence features. My guess is that if the family has taught strong values the child will pick up their own race doll. Here's a good subject for someone working on a thesis.
+0
Joyce Parker Hyde

1967 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: 50 years and nothing has changed...
1/29/2007 8:50:30 AM

Sir, there is not enough space allotted in this forum for me to expound on the exquisite beauty and diversity to be found in the people from whom I have descended.

You have chosen to focus on here on the attitudes of a statistically small group within a group. Since the people whose attitudes you are spotlighting are not likely to be found reading this forum, it reduces your statements to divisive rhetoric.

You have not asked me any specific question that I can respond to directly.  I do no have the time, nor the inclination to respond to each of the points you have made because I don’t know what you are getting at by your directing your statements to me. There seems to be an implied assumption of values that I do not personally hold.

I invite you to a public dialog in my 150 seat seminar and conference room at any time you choose to discuss any subject you choose. You are free to call me any names you like, for you see when I looked in the mirror after that last batch – I still looked the same as I did before you described me otherwise.

My share of the ticket proceeds would go towards reinforcing my kitchen to withstand the next onslaught of 150 mph winds that comes this way, as it was almost blown away with my roof with me standing in it .

Other than that, I sincerely apologize, on behalf of whomever it is at the root of your strong feelings even though I don’t have a clue (clueless-you’re right on that one) who the people may be.

If we can’t create a positive out of this negative energy, then please leave it alone.

Respectfuly.

+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
1/29/2007 1:02:17 PM
Hi Mary, I don't believe that wrong teaching in children is limited to ANY ethnic group. I'm sure that if the dolls were presented to a group of while children, the results would still be the same. It would be a very sad indictment of our society's values in general, but perhaps, a wake up call about the reasons for much of the strife in our world. "Everything is beautiful in its own way. Like the starry summer night, or a snow-covered winter's day. And everybody's beautiful in their own way. Under God's heaven, the world's gonna find the way. There is none so blind as he who will not see. We must not close our minds; we must let our thoughts be free. For every hour that passes by, we know the world gets a little bit older. It's time to realize that beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder. And everything is beautiful in its own way. Like the starry summer night, or a snow-covered winter's day. Oh, sing it children! Everybody's beautiful in their own way. Under God's heaven, the world's gonna find the way. We shouldn't care about the length of his hair, or the color of his skin. Don't worry about what shows from without, but the love that lives within. And we're gonna get it all together now; everything gonna work out fine. Just take a little time to look on the good side my friend, And straighten it out in your mind. And everything is beautiful in its own way. Like the starry summer night, or a snow-covered winter's day. Ah, sing it children! Everybody's beautiful in their own way, Under God's heaven the world's gonna find a way. One more time! Everything is beautiful in its own way. Like the starry summer night, or a snow-covered winter's day... Ray Stevens" God bless, Dave
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: 50 years and nothing has changed...
1/29/2007 1:09:13 PM
Hi Joyce, It is a blessing to know you and I must tell you that I appreciate the love and care that comes out in your carefully worded posts. Everyone IS beautiful, even those whose words sometimes seem difficult to understand and even abrasive. You and I both know that ONE gave himself for all. May God continue to richly bless you. God bless, Dave
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!