Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Amalia Sotiriadou

69 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: The English Language....
6/23/2005 8:13:00 AM
That was a HILARIOUS piece, Bogdan, I couldn't stop laughing! No wonder that even people whose native language is English have a hard time mastering it! As someone who started learning the English language at age 11 but have embraced it entusiastically ever since, I can only say that it's one of the hardest and most illogical languages in the world. Yet, I still do love it! Just as a tidbit of information, the only logical language in the world is ancient Greek - which is why it is currently being used by experts who are trying to program machines for artificial intelligence. I don't know why, don't ask me. Apparently, however, all other languages are arbitrarily assigned sounds to represent the "thing", e.g. the word "tree" was arbitrarily assigned to that tall leafy thing. I hear experts here at home who can analyze ancient Greek down to the single letters that combine together to form the word. Apparently each letter has its own meaning. Now, THAT is logic! Amalia
Respect is not given - it is EARNED All the FREE stuff you need for your computer and a lot more! http://www.computerbom.net
+0
Tom
Tom Hunt

8 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
6/23/2005 8:14:39 AM
Bogdan, You hit the nail right on the head. Our language is a very technical yet can be manipulated to the writers greatest satisfaction. "If it goes by sea it is a CARgo, if it goes by land it's a SHIPment" "Why is a shipping dock so far from the sea?" How come we have 'bridal' paths out in the wilderness. Fat chance has 2 definitions. There 4 ways to say 'for'-- fore, for, four, fohr. How about I'll, isle, aisle or I, eye, aye. or two, to, too, be bee, B: C, see, sea, si Our language is a mixture of the Queen's English, French, Italian, Greek, Polish, Middle English, Old English, Arabic, American Indian, Scandanavian languages, Latin, Middle Eastern and even Oriental languages. And you wonder why people have trouble learning it. It's very complicated and very playful. It can be molded to the poet's pen and still be used as an instrument of precision. Think of all the phrases you hear in a day. They say so much in so few words. "Happier than a centipede at a foot-ticklin' contest" "If I were any better, I'd have to be twins." You get the feel for it. Study it, enjoy it. Tom Bureaucracy: a method of turning energy into solid waste.
Tom Hunt tsgifts@msn.com
+0
Lisa Reddell

254 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
6/23/2005 8:34:46 AM
Bogdan, I've always heard that the English language was the most difficult to learn. You hit the nail on the head. Thanks for the giggle, I needed that:) Lisa :`)
Lisa Reddell :`)
Do you love candles?
+0
Rudy Hiebert(rudyhiebert.myamsoil.c

1086 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
6/23/2005 9:26:40 AM
Copy & paste works pretty slick - See http://www.greaterthings.com/Humor/English_paradoxes.htm
+0
Drbob Siegman

247 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
6/23/2005 10:45:22 AM
Great day to you Bogdan and all my friends at AdLandPro, the home of the most caring and supportive members online today! Thanks for the laughs, it put a smile on my face, well, a bigger one anyway. All I can say is, what better illogical language for the illogical world in which we live. And now that I have read (red) this I will send it to some friends so they can read (reed) it too. May your day be filled with laughter and fun, Dr Bob
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!