Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: THE EARLY RENAISSANCE - GIOVANNI BELLINI
12/12/2006 10:14:08 AM

Hello Georgios,

Thank you very much for coming by. Of all the visits and posts, yours are among the most appreciated because of your cultural background.

I can understand your feeling of Giovanni Bellini's works. I share it especially with regard to his later works, and if I chose the portrait of the Doge was mainly because of Giovanni’s command of light and shadow which rendered pieces of rare beauty, like the Baptism of Christ and the one exhibited here. I remember myself trying to reproduce, many years ago, the play of light and shadow on the Doge’s robe and face as well as the texture of his garments which implied interesting technical difficulties. But I will let an article from the Encyclopædia Britannica
Online talk about this:

”A new degree of technical achievement is implied. The fact that [...] Giovanni painted mainly in oil does not completely explain his greatness. [... ] It is the way of using the medium that makes the difference - and that depends upon the painter's intentions and upon his vision. It was Bellini's richer and wider vision that determined his future development. Oil paint is inclined to be the more transparent and fusible and therefore lends itself to richer colour and tone by allowing a further degree of glazing, the laying of one translucent layer of colour over another. It is this technique and the unprecedented variety with which he handled the oil paint that gives his fully mature painting the richness associated with the Venetian school.”

Thus this time I opted for a pedagogic approach rather my own personal preferences.

Thank you again,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/4/2013 4:08:44 PM
Now, dear friends, despite the many years elapsed (nearly six!) I would like to post a few other masterpieces by Giovanni Bellini that I have just found during a swift research of his work on the Internet.

Here is his earliest important work, of aprox. 1459: Agony in the Garden. As the title suggests, it is a highly dramatic one.
Despite the somber hues, the colors are intense and very beautiful. The approach is highly original.

NOTE: Here I am presenting a detail
only. You may view the complete work here.

Giovanni Bellini - Agony in the Garden (detail)
(tempera on wood, c. 1459)

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/4/2013 4:37:04 PM

Dear friends, here is Sultan Mehmet II's portrait of 1480 also attributed to Giovanni Bellini's older brother, Gentile Bellini. NOTE: I consider it very probable that the author was his brother Gentile, the other son of the great artist Jacopo Bellini and a great artist himself, and even that it was a joint work of them as it was the two of them that at the time of the painting traveled to Turkey at the Sultan's invitation.

Giovanni Bellini - Sultan Mehmet II (oil on canvas, 1480)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/4/2013 4:47:46 PM

Back to the religious themes, here is Giovanni Bellini's Baptisms of Christ, indeed one of the top master works in the history of art. I consider it precious beyond measure and it is in all reverence that I present it here.

Giovanni Bellini - Baptism of Christ (oil on canvas, 1500 - 1502)

+2
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/4/2013 4:55:53 PM

Another masterpiece of religious character, and one also precious beyond measure: Giovanni Bellini's Madonna and Child with St John Baptist and a Saint.

Giovanni Bellini - Madonna and Child with St John Baptist and a Saint
(oil on panel, 1500 - 1504)

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!