Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
THE EARLY RENAISSANCE - GIOVANNI BELLINI
12/11/2006 7:53:08 AM

Dear Adland Friends,

I had planned to feature today Piero della Francesca, one of the most original representatives of the Early Renaissance in Florence, with one of his great fresco paintings - probably Constantine's Dream (see here). However, I had not yet made up my mind to include it and, on the other hand, a change from Florence to Venetia, the other great Renaissance center in Italy, seemed to be in order at this time. So I finally opted for Giovanni Bellini, the great Venetian painter and musician, with one of the most famous portraits of all times: that of doge Leonardo Loredan, which over the past few centuries has been a great favorite for many people - and, from the moment I first put my eyes on it, for me.

Brother of Gentile and son of Jacopo, Giovanni Bellini was probably the greatest of the Bellini dynasty. He was the pre-eminent teacher of his generation, with a sizeable workshop staffed by pupils and assistants, among whom were Giorgione and Titian. Like his brother, he became chief painter to the State, although Titian tried desperately to usurp him. In 1506, when Giovanni was 76, Dürer wrote that he was 'very old but still the best in painting'.

Giovanni Bellini is considered to have revolutionized Venetian painting by moving it towards a more sensuous and colouristic style. In this style of portraiture he was strongly influenced by a characteristic Flemish attention to detail and texture, especially the play of light on the surface of the subject. The Doge is exquisitely protrayed in his ceremonial robes, made in an old-fashioned style but from a newly imported material - damask - which has gold thread running through it. Instead of using gold leaf, Bellini painted the surface roughly so as to catch the light and give a metallic finish - a revolutionary technique at the time.

Other great works by him are his Agony in the Garden (c.1459), Baptism of Christ (1500 - 1502), Madonna of the Meadow (Madonna del Prato) (1505), Naked Young Woman in Front of the Mirror (approx. 1505-10), and The Feast of the Gods (1514).

As always, good feedback will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

GREAT MASTERS OF PAINTING

(click on image to enlarge)

Portrait of Doge Leonardo Loredan (1)
by Giovanni Bellini

born c. 1430, Venice [Italy]
died 1516, Venice

Profile (2)

Also known as Giambellino, Giovanni Bellini made Venice a centre of
Renaissance art comparable to Florence and Rome
Although the paintings
for the hall of the Great Council in Venice, considered his greatest works,
were destroyed by fire in 1577, a large number of altarpieces (such as
that in the church of SS. Giovanni e Paolo, Venice) and other extant works
show a steady but adventurous evolution from purely religious, narrative
emphasis to a new naturalism of setting and landscape.

Although the professional needs of his family background may have encouraged him to specialize at an early date in devotional painting, by the 1480s he had become a leading master in all types of painting practised in 15th-century Venice. Later, towards the end of his long life, he added the new genres of mythological painting and secular allegory to his repertory of subject-matter. His increasing dominance of Venetian art led to an enormous expansion of his workshop after c. 1490; and this provided the training-ground not only for his numerous shop-hands and imitators (generically known as Belliniani) but probably also for a number of major Venetian painters of the next generation. Throughout his career, Giovanni showed an extraordinary capacity for absorbing a wide range of artistic influences, both from within Venetian tradition and from outside. He also oversaw a technical revolution in the art of painting, involving the gradual abandonment of the traditional Italian use of egg tempera in favour of the technique of oil painting pioneered in the Netherlands. It was thanks to Giovanni Bellini that the Venetian school of painting was transformed during the later 15th century from one mainly of local significance to one with an international reputation. He thus set the stage for the triumphs of Venetian painting in the 16th century and for the central contribution that Venice was to make to the history of European art.

Technical data (3)
The Doge Leonardo Loredan
c. 1501-05
Oil, probably with some egg tempera, on poplar
61.5 x 45 cm
National Gallery, London

(1)
This image is a courtesy of the Artchive.

(2) Sources: Artcyclopedia, Encyclopaedia Britannica Online, Grove Dictionary of Art Online (excerpt).

(3) Source: the Artchive.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2
Geketa Holman

2080 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: THE EARLY RENAISSANCE - GIOVANNI BELLINI
12/11/2006 2:32:44 PM
Hi luis,

I loved the feature
Giovanni Bellini I was not familiar with his work or him as a painter .. as I have stated before I am not very informed about famous art work therefore you have become my teacher.

My favorite of the paintings was ,"Madonna of the meadow". I like the flow of the colors and simplicity . "Agony in the garden", must have been an early painting as it seems his style and form  changed somewhat from one painting to another.  I felt it almost had  a cartoon effect. Probably not the best choice of words, but that is they only ones I can find at the moment ..

Thank you my friend for sharing another great artist I learn something new each time I visit your forum..

Blessings to you !!

Geketa
Hear, O Israel the L-rd our G-d,the L-rd is one http://www.DHGBoutique.com
+1
Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/11/2006 4:44:31 PM
Hello Luis,

Another nice Exhibition. Giovanni Bellini is very famous and known in Europe. It is a Master Piece but I am "cold" seeing his paints. Maybe I don't understand him.

Thank you for the invitation to this nice Exhibition. You are doing a grate work.

Geogrgios

ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
+1
Nan
Nan Herring

3059 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/11/2006 10:23:37 PM
this one i need time to study. thank you.
+1
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
12/12/2006 7:15:00 AM

Dear Geketa,

I am very happy that you have become one of the main supporters of this forum in such short time.

Giovanni Bellini's brother-in-law, the great Mantegna, strongly influenced his style for a long time, which partially explains the differences in conception and execution between his Agony in the Garden and his Madonna del Prato. The first one is definitely lineal in style while the Madonna is indeed color oriented. In fact, Giovanni's work is considered pioneering in his native Veneto mainly for his use of the colorful style characteristic of the Venetian school - which of course does not mean his master hand is not recognized in nearly all of his paintings, even the early ones - ; but I do admit some of them may be considered too theatrical.

As a younger, I was most impressed when I first stared at his Agony in the Garden. The force of the general drawing and the dramatic effects on the sky were something of a revelation to me. I saw clearly Giovanni had wanted to impress Jesus’ suffering to the viewer, and the result was most original. Now I much prefer his Baptism of Christ with its idyllic, harmonic beauty.

Best Wishes,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo
?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+2

facebook
Like us on Facebook!