Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
PC Sluggish at Startup
11/27/2006 10:16:42 PM
Hi Friends, Don't you hate it when programs insist on starting when you boot your computer. If you install something, many times it places an icon in your system tray. All those little icons you see in your system tray represent programs that are RUNNING. If a bunch of stuff loads when you start your computer, you may be maxing out your system before you even launch your first regular program. So, if your computer is getting progressively slower as you add more software, it could be that these system tray icons are, at least partially, at fault. In addition, program running in your system tray can cause any (or all) of the following problems: - Sluggish system speed - Frequent lockups / illegal operations - Software install problems - Difficulty in running some programs The more of these programs you have running, the more likely that you'll see one or more of the problems mentioned above. So, how do you keep all these unwanted programs at bay? 1. Click the Start button and select Run. 2. Next, type in: msconfig Then hit OK. 3. The System Configuration Utility should run. 4. Click the Startup tab . 5. You'll see a listing of all the programs that start when your computer does. Just uncheck the programs you don't want to load and leave the rest alone. Once you get msconfig or the program above running, you'll probably see more programs than you bargained for. I would advise exercising caution while unchecking, especially if you're not sure about what program(s) you're suppressing. Things like Scan Registry and System tray are probably best left alone. If you see programs that you recognize as being non-essential software, than uncheck it. This is one of those do at your own risk things - for sure. If you're not sure which program is being referred to, look at the path. Sometimes the folder just before the ".exe" file can give you a clue as to what program you're dealing with. For example, if I see something like: C:\program files\real\realplayer.exe I can guess the program in question is the ever annoying Real Player. In general, don't disable programs that starts like this: C:\Windows\ Or stuff like this: SysTray.exe These are more likely to be important system files and programs. You may find that your computer won't run without them and you'll have to go into Safe mode to get things working again. Finally, note that unchecking these doesn't remove them. The idea behind having these programs start when the computer does is to give you fast, easy access to them. However, having too many of these programs running at once can hit you hard in the system resources department. I personally make sure anything I don't need isn't running. If I need it, I'll click on its shortcut. *** Another good thing is to get a System Restore point started .So if you have something get into your pc you can go back to that point... Eg. Tuesday 28th November 2006. Hope this helps someone!! Thanks Leanne Busby PS. If you need help just message me,I'm only too happy to help.
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!