Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
THE EARLY RENAISSANCE - LUCA DELLA ROBBIA
11/16/2006 7:33:15 AM

Dear Adland Friends,

As is widely known, the Renaissance was a period of great creative and intellectual activity, during which artists broke away from the restrictions of Byzantine Art. Throughout this period, artists would study the natural world in order to perfect their understanding of such subjects as anatomy and perspective.

Continuing this panorama of the Early Renaissance period, centered in Italy in the 15th century, we will now turn our attention to the famed Italian sculptor Luca della Robbia (also known as
Luca di Simone della Robbia), who founded his family sculpture workshop in Florence and was regarded by his contemporaries as a leading artistic innovator, comparable to Donatello and Masaccio.

Luca's family members were traditionally employed in the textile industry, and their name derives from rubia tinctorum, a red dye.

After much deliberation, I have opted to show his Virgin of the Roses rather than his Virgin of the Apple (see here), which is other of my favorites among his works. Both masterpieces are in enameled terra-cotta.

Other great artists in the Early Renaissance were Sandro Botticelli (already featured), Domenico Ghirlandaio, Paolo Uccello and Piero della Francesca (soon to appear in this forum).

As usually, your good feedback will be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

GREAT MASTERS OF SCULPTURE

(click on image to enlarge)

Madonna of the Roses (1)
by Luca della Robbia

born 1399/1400,
Florence [Italy]

died Feb. 10, 1482

Profile (2)

In full Luca Di Simone Di Marco Della Robbia sculptor, one of the pioneers of Florentine Renaissance style, who was the founder of a family studio primarily associated with the production of works in enameled terra-cotta.

Before developing the process with which his family name came to be associated, Luca apparently practiced his art solely in marble. The earliest documented work in polychrome enameled terra-cotta, executed wholly in that medium, is a lunette of the Resurrection over the door of the northern sacristy of the cathedral (1442–45). According to the art historian Giorgio Vasari, the glaze with which Luca covered his terra-cotta sculptures consisted of a mixture of tin, litharge antimony, and other minerals. The Resurrection lunette in the cathedral was followed by a corresponding relief of the Ascension over the southern sacristy door, in which a wider range of colour is employed.

Of the many decorative schemes for which enameled terra-cotta was employed by Luca Della Robbia, some of the most important are the roundels of Apostles in Filippo Brunelleschi's Pazzi Chapel in Florence (soon after 1443); the roof of Michelozzo's Chapel of the Crucifix in San Miniato al Monte, Florence (c. 1448); and a lunette over the entrance of San Domenico at Urbino (c. 1449). Luca's last major work in this medium is an altarpiece in the Palazzo Vescovile at Pescio (after 1472). There are also many notable works by Luca outside Italy.

Technical data
(3)

Virgin of the Roses
1450 - 1455
Glazed terracotta
31 3/8 x 25 1/8 inches (80 x 64 cm)
Museo Nazionale del Bargello, Florence, Italy

Added 6/23/2003

(1) This image is a courtesy of Art Renewal Center.

(2) Sources: Encyclopaedia Britannica Online, Grove Dictionary of Art Online (excerpt).

(3) Source: Art Renewal Center.

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Jill Bachman

8860 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: THE EARLY RENAISSANCE - LUCA DELLA ROBBIA
11/16/2006 12:32:45 PM
Dear Luis,

This sculpture is absolutely BREATHTAKING.  Thank you for sharing this valuable information to all of us.  Your forums are so appreciated.

Bless you,  Jill
+0
Luis Miguel Goitizolo

61587 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/16/2006 7:39:07 PM

Dear Jill,

I am so happy that you have visited today. I am afraid not many people will be showing as my forum notifications are apparently being kept unsent. Anyway, it is good to see visitors with your appreciation of beauty and artistic feeling keep coming.

Thank you,

Luis Miguel Goitizolo

"Choose a job you love and you will not have to work a day in your life" (Confucius)

+0
Pauline Raina

4108 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
11/17/2006 9:03:37 AM
Hi Luis, this is going to be very interesting, Im not too familiar with sculptors, but now thru your forum I will learn !!! thank you, 'Madonna of the Roses' is indeed beautiful and breathtaking as Jill has described it. warm regards, Pauline R
+0
TV
TV Srinivasan

22 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
11/17/2006 11:38:56 PM

Dear Luis

May God bless you for drawing our attention to one of the greatest sculptors of all time. And thanks Pauline for referring this lovely post to me.

Luca Della Robbia originally started his career on bronze and marble and his creations have withstood the ravages of Time. There was an interesting twist to his career when he sat and figured out, at some point of his career, the amount of time and labour he spent in creating his masterpieces vis-a-vis the money he made and found that it was just a pittance. He then decided that he would use cheaper material in future but knowing that such material would not last, he invented the system of glazing his creations in clay. Later on, he became a celebrated artist for his innovation of coating terra cotta with enamel. We owe him a debt of gratitude for this innovation.

His son and nephew continued his work but could not match his genius.

Sri

Sri
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!