Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: The Dangers of Democracy
9/19/2006 8:39:51 PM
Hi John, I would have to look further into the US law you are referring to. One thing I CAN point out is that property rights are much more protected in the US than in Canada, so I would be doubtful about the FBI's right to see assets on SUSPICION, alone. Here in Canada, property rights are really just an illusion. The government CAN, at any time, and without proving justification, expropriate property (land). A case in point happened some years ago. A man who had built a successful construction company sold it and bought his lifelong dream, a hunting lodge in northern Canada. He sank over $300,000 into it, and was just beginning to get going when Revenue Canada came calling to say that he owed a large sum of money from his former company in GST sales tax that hadn't been submitted. The man fought the charges, provided all necessary documents to show that he had paid everything, but it was all to no avail. Revenue Canada seized the property, sold it for $30,000 at auction and attempted to close the account. He continued to fight the government, and eventually, with his life savings completely exhausted, proved his case. Revenue Canada sent him back the $30,000 from the sale of his $300,000 + hunting lodge and closed the account. The man had no recourse left, and ended up shooting himself. In Canada, civil servants cannot be sued or called to account for ruining people's lives, no matter how incompetent they are. (They can, however, and often are, promoted to a different department!) This is one example of how unchecked democracy can fail. God bless, Dave
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/19/2006 8:45:54 PM
Hi Melissa, You have brought up another point that is one of my pet peeves. Not only do governments scramble like crazy after a catastrophe of major faux pas to make changes that are supposedly to prevent recurrences (they're really just trying to save face), but also, after every election, governments create a whole raft of new laws to try to justify their existence. We can't even properly enforce the laws that are already in exisitence. However, instead of trying to concentrate on dealing with first things first, there's almost always a mad scramble to write new, unenforceable laws. My hope here in this country, is that our present administration will follow through with its promises to add teeth to existing laws, strike down bad laws, and to make politicians more accountable, thus slowing our dangerous slide towards tyranny and/or mob rule. God bless, Dave
+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/19/2006 10:13:33 PM

Hi Dave,

"Apathy is the greatest enemy of democracy."

You hit that spot on. We need a better educated public, not a public that is spoon-fed information by the media.

Thanks, Dave.

Your Good Friend

Deborah

BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0
9/20/2006 2:10:56 AM
Wow, this was awesome my friend. We live in a world where we can speak, but what we say is another thing - and we have rules to use.

In school vi had the A-B-C so we could learn to speak and write, as adults we have rules and lawyers because we laerned it  - understand it they who can..

Best regards
Arild
+0
9/20/2006 10:38:46 AM

Dave,

Very well thoughout and expressed! In a democracy the government we get is our responsibility and a well informed electorate is vital for a healthy democracy.

What has evolved in the US is basically a two-party system that typically does not reflect the true will of the people or our best interests. Yet we often just go along and vote for the 'lessor of evils' and feel we have taken our citizenshjip responsibility seriously. I would submitt that unless we are demanding that our elected officials give us the type of government we want then we are getting the type of government that our lack of due dilligence deserves.

I sure hope that we soon wake up and begin to demand that our government serve us and not the other way around.

Dave

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!