Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
The Dangers of Democracy
9/19/2006 7:09:23 PM
Greetings, my friends. In this modern world, we who have the privilege of living in free, democratic countries, often overlook the dangers of democracy. While there is no better world system in existence that I know of at this time, democracy can be a disastrous system if it is not carefully controlled. Oh - oh! I can almost feel the temperatures rising and the tension building.... but think about it. A democracy gives the power of government to the people. What this means is that the people ultimately are in charge of the policies and laws of the country. This means that if the majority of the people think that a certain candidate has the right answers, even if he/she is wrong, that candidate will be elected. If enough candidates are elected who have the wrong answers, the wrong laws will be passed, and the country will go downhill. Technically speaking, the US is not and never was a democracy... It is a republic form of government in its original context. Democracy in itself is simply majority rule.. In government, this is tyranny and mob rule.... Vigilantee Justice is a typical democracy... A republic, such as the system in the US, or a parliamentary system, such as used in Canada or the U.K., uses a democratic system to elect respresentatives of the people from across the land, but also has intrenched laws, such as those found in the constitution, to prevent the abuse of democracy. An stark example of how democracy could be abused, for example, is if a referendum was put to the people calling for the total annhilation of a certain ethnic group in that country. If it passed, without there being laws already in place to prevent such obvious abuse, then the group in question could be legally eliminated without recourse. Do you think that a democratic system can't go down the slippery slope to the point where such extreme human rights abuses or other bizarre laws could be passed? Think again. In my country (Canada) we have as part of our constitution a clause (Section Thirty-three of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms) called The Not Withstanding Clause. In a nutshell, it says, "The federal Parliament or a provincial legislature may declare a law or part of a law to apply temporarily "notwithstanding" countermanding sections of the Charter, thereby nullifying any judicial review by overriding the Charter protections for a limited period of time. This is done by including a section in the law clearly specifying which rights have been overridden. The rights to be overridden, however, must be either a fundamental right (e.g., section 2 freedom of speech, religion, association, etc), a legal right (e.g., liberty, search and seizure, cruel and unusual punishment, etc), or a section 15 equality right. Other rights such as section 6 mobility rights, democratic rights, and language rights are inalienable." The problem with the system is that 1.) any federal or provincial government can, at its own discretion, invoke this clause and eliminate certain laws that have been made to protect the individual. 2.) the federal government can pass a new law that the majority of the people of the land despise, then revoke Section 33 (as the previous government here promised to do had they been elected in order to make it impossible for laws they had passed to be changed). Either way, there are serious flaws in the system that are open to abuse if not very closely watched. We, who live under the great and blessed freedom of a democratic system must be ever vigilant in protecting our freedom and calling our elected representatives to account, as the same system that gives us such amazing freedom can also be used to take it all away. Always keep your eyes open, pay attention to what the politicians are doing, question everything they do whether you like them or not, and get out to vote when the opportunity arises. Apathy is the greatest enemy of democracy. God bless, Dave
+0
Re: The Dangers of Democracy
9/19/2006 7:35:48 PM
I couldn't agree more Dave,

An educated public is a responsible public. Proper education does not come from the media.

To live life to be entertained and taken care of by the government leads to a slippery slope of loss of freedom.

David
DrDA Detox and Heal
435-616-5480 - dblack@dbresearchlc.com
Hello Healthy
No Stress
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
9/19/2006 7:59:07 PM
Hi David, Thanks for posting. You are absolutely correct. God bless, Dave
+0
John Leal

1107 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
9/19/2006 8:10:22 PM
Hi Dave Regarding section 2 above, where the federal government can pass a new law that the majority of the people of the land despise, then revoke Section 33: I read about a law in the USA which states that the FBI can seize someone's assets on suspicion that they've committed a crime, and even if they're proven innocent in a court of law, the FBI can still sell up their assets and use the proceeds as they wish.
+0
Melissa Fulwider

207 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
9/19/2006 8:13:18 PM

Dave, thank you for this most intelligent, rational, and relevant post.  There should be more like you.  

This brings to mind the scrambling governments will do after a catastrophe.  Look at the last five years and you will loose count of all the amendments and "rules" and regulations that are brought about.

Melissa 

yours for the future, melissa http://thewritetimes.com The Adland Interviews : http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/17189/ShowForum.aspx
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!