Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
September
9/8/2006 6:28:56 AM
The people refer to the month of September as "rapciune", meaning the beginning of the cold period, but also "viniceriu", because September remains the month of grapes.

The folk celebrations of this month are:

• September 1st: St. Simeon of the Pillar
  • September 4th: St. Vavila
  • September 8th: Little St Mary
  • September 14th: Cross Day
  • September 24th: The “Tecle”
  • September 26th-28th: The Autumn Filipiseptember

September 1st: Simeon of the Pillar

In the folk belief Simeon is the one who sustains the earth and the sky, by sitting on a tall pillar. He is the patron of the winds and can cause earthquakes. That`s why his celebration is very important and people respect it, by fear of not having their houses destroyed or not having their legs stuck.

As this day was the old beginning of the church year, the weather announced the weather for the entire year. If there are thunders, then it is believed that the following autumn will be long.

Simeon`s day is also the day when the birds take their part of every crop, preparing themselves for the winter.

September 4st: St. Vavila

This saint spent his entire life in the woods, together with the beasts. It is even said that his body was covered with hair, like theirs. The celebration is held for the cattle should be big.

September 8st: Little St Mary

The migratory birds, especially the swallows, leave on this day. As the celebration announces the end of the summer and the beginning of the autumn, people stop wearing hats.

September 14st: Cross Day

As this is a very important celebration, there`s the custom of remembering the dead, by doling new jugs, decorated with a red thread and containing honey or fresh water (a round bread and a candle are put above).

All the animals who got out from the ground in the spring, of Alexii, are going back there now, as it is the time the ground closes. It is believed that, before reentering the ground, the snakes gather on the peak of a hill and spit on the tail of one of them, thus forming a precious stone, very useful in healing the illness. The snakes that harmed people during the year aren`t allowed to enter the ground, having to remain outside and die.

The ground is not closing only for the animals, but for the plants also. This is the day when the flowers speak to each other, being sorry they will wither. Only the bad plants are staying green. The wild strawberries found after this day are not good to eat anymore, being destined for the dead. It is a good moment for culling medicinal herbs.

The vintage begins on this day.

September 24st: The "Tecle"

The "Tecle" (sometimes called "rams") are respected in order to protect the flocks from the wolves and to protect the households from the fire.

September 26st-28st: The Autumn Filipi

On the days dedicated to the Filipi people don`t sew, don`t sweep and don`t grind wheat. The last day (Hariton) is especially held by women, for fear not to go mad.

• Hope you enjoy all these!
    With frienedship,
    Anamaria
    +0
    Pauline Raina

4108 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    Re: September
    9/8/2006 6:44:36 AM
    Hi Anamaria, very very interesting indeed!! Thanks for sharing, warm regards, Pauline R India
    +0
    Robert Talmadge

2047 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 100 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    9/8/2006 7:03:45 AM
    Thank you Anna Maria.

The folklore is rich and interesting. As a child, I looked forward to the
    Autum celebrations of my country and it brought about a certain sense
    of familiarity and comfort in the change of the seasons.

Now I live in an area that has little change here in Florida in the US
    Just the temperature and the humidity. We still see some fall foilage
    in the colors of the trees and certain plants.
    Robert Talmadge To follow your dream, follow your heart. http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/17474/ShowForum.aspx
    +0
    Larry Blethen

2241 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 100 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    9/8/2006 7:45:44 AM

hello AnaMaria...so interesting to know..how different to know other coutrys....

Larry

Larry Blethen http://www.bluelight-marketing.com larry.blethen@bluelight-marketing.com, 304-369-5603
    +0
    Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 100 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    9/8/2006 11:45:14 AM

Hi Anamaria,

WOW!! That was really interesting. It is always so much fun to come here and hear about your traditions.

myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphicsMyspace ProfilesMyspace Profiles

Your Good Friend

Deborah

BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
    +0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!