Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
August - In Romanian Traditional Celebration
8/14/2006 1:44:53 PM

Greetings and Welcome my dear friends! :-)

August is a much quite month as concerns traditional celebrations.

The folk tradition also refers to the month of August as “gustar” (the Romanian verb “a gusta” means “to taste”).

The folk celebrations of this month are:

• August 1st: Macaveii; The Day of the Cross
  • August 6th: Probejenia (The Transfiguration of Christ)
  • August 15th: Dormition of Virgin Mary
  • August 29th: Beheading of St John the Baptistaugust

August 1st: Macaveii; The Day of the Cross

This is the last day when the honey can be collected (it is also called “The Macavei of the beehives”), thus getting special virtues. Another name is “The Macavei of the bears”, because their mating period begins. This feast is especially held for avoiding the diseases, but also for avoiding the damages provoked by the bears.

August 6th: Probejenia (The Transfiguration of Christ)

This day marks the coming of the autumn: the leaves begin to get yellow, the storks leave, the insects go into the ground, the river waters get cold, the first grapes are tasted (then you must say the words “new grape in old mouth”).

In some places it is believed that the storks are leaving for other countries, carrying the swallows on their back and people respect the celebration in order that the birds should arrive well at their destination. Because the birds are leaving, people shouldn`t travel, as they will get lost.

The insects which don`t go into the ground can be killed. People believe that if a young man sees a snake and doesn`t kill it, this will become a dragon.

People don`t work on this day and try not to get angry one with another. The plants gathered today get healing powers.

August 15th: Dormition of Virgin Mary

• Adormirea Maicii Domnului

Fruits are doled today for the dead and rituals are held for “tying” the beaks of the birds.

If the roses bloom, it is believed that the following autumn will be long.

August 29th: Beheading of St John the Baptist

As they remember the beheading of St. John, grapes can`t be eaten and wine can`t be drunk (they are related to the blood). Garlic, onion, apples, pears and generally round fruits and vegetables can`t be eaten, as their shape is similar to the one of a head. Neither the cabbage can be eaten, as it is said that the saint was beheaded on cabbage leaves. For the same reasons, the knife can`t be used, all the aliments being cut by hand. People fast on this day.

• Thank you for your time and visit :-)

Anamaria
    +0
    James Max

711 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Re: August - In Romanian Traditional Celebration
    8/14/2006 2:11:26 PM

Hey Ana Maria,

Don't take this personally, but is there a ritual to protect you once and for all against the probably mis-fortunes you may encounter, if you don't celebrate these traditions?

But let's face - any country that can create so many reasons not to work, gets a 10 in my book. LOL!!

With Love From Vegas

max 

Free Monetize Adsense Niche Blogs For Affiliate Marketing - http://www.goodnewsforall.com/PLR/AutoIncomeBlog/
    +0
    Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    8/14/2006 2:18:54 PM
    Hi Max, :-D

I can see so well how you feel! LOL

I should make some suggestions to the Insurance Company I'm working with! LOL!

We have so many jokes upon the subject; maybe one day when I'll have some spear time and patience to translate I'll post some for you. :-)

These celebrations are mainly kept by county people. But that doesn't mean that they do not wark at all! In fact they work quite a lot! There are certain works that are not alowed on certain days. I'm not an expert! LOL
    I only know they exist, but not too sure what and when without reading them as I did when I posted them for you.

I cannot think to more because I'm still laughting!

Thanks for coming and posting your opinion; it lifted my evening! LOL
    Your friend,
    Anamaria

+0
    Georgios Paraskevopoulos

5965 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 50 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    8/14/2006 2:51:01 PM
    Hello Ana Maria,

Thank you for the invitation to Romanian.
    In Greek Tradition we have Assumption Day of Virgin MAry at 15th.

Hey That day we check Arround and what do we find.
    Nice friends from Czechia, Transperent (blanc) like Atherines.

We cast votes on Atherines.
    http://community.adlandpro.com/forums/thread/431596.aspx

Warmest Regards

Georgios
    ETERNAL WISDOM-Know ThySelf, PHILOXENIA MetaCafe, Adlanders In Facebook
    +0
    Linda Harvey

7954 Posts
    Invite Me as a Friend
    Top 25 Poster
    Person Of The Week
    8/14/2006 2:51:24 PM
    Thank you Anamaria, I love old traditions and sayings! Some are very funny, some very superstitious ! Linda
    +0

facebook
    Like us on Facebook!