Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: July's Gone!
8/1/2006 1:21:20 PM
Dear Pauline,

I'm so happy to see you here. I'm glad you could make it and joine me here.
I also like to find out more about the other countries traditions.

With friendship,
Anamaria
+0
Karen Earll

179 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
8/1/2006 7:59:09 PM
Hi Anamaria, This is all so interesting. Many legends, traditions, old-sayings, superstitions, etc. are long forgotten, or laughed at in these modern days. However, they have contributed, perhaps unconsiously to what the world is today. We need to share more of these stories, thereby sharing more of ourselves. Thank You Dear Friend for sharing you.
Karen Earll Skype ID kdearll $7 Miracle Matrix http://www.3.telus.net/rmc/opfm.htm Bring Your Buddy http://bringyourbuddy.net/?id=8195 Having Fun. Helping Friends. Creating Wealth. Reaching Dreams. Watkins Summit Group http://www.tsginfo.com/ind
+0
Venerina Conti

1305 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
8/1/2006 8:10:37 PM

Hello Anamaria,

I thoroughly enjoyed reading these really interesting traditions for July ... so interesting.  I am always fascinated by other countries' traditions and culture.

Thank you and best wishes

Venerina

+0
Dennis Clairmont

642 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
8/1/2006 8:14:32 PM
Wow there's alot going on in july.Good reading very intersting. Dennis
+0
8/1/2006 8:18:41 PM
Hi Anamaria,

Thanks for these interesting paragraphs.

I guess your criteria was that these were holidays celebrated by more than one nation.

For single nations. There are other holidays in July,

Canada Day July 1:

Canada Day

Background

On June 20, 1868, a proclamation signed by the Governor General, Lord Monck, called upon all Her Majesty's loving subjects throughout Canada to join in the celebration of the anniversary of the formation of the union of the British North America provinces in a federation under the name of Canada on July 1st.

US Independence Day July 4:

On July 4, 1776, we claimed our independence from Britain and Democracy was born. Every day thousands leave their homeland to come to the "land of the free and the home of the brave" so they can begin their American Dream.

The United States is truly a diverse nation made up of dynamic people. Each year on July 4, Americans celebrate that freedom and independence with barbecues, picnics, and family gatherings. Through the Internet we are learning about and communicating with people of different nations, with different languages and different races throughout the world. Bringing the world closer with understanding and knowledge can only benefit all nations.

We invite all nations to celebrate with Americans online this Fourth of July.

Happy Birthday, America!

Utah Pioneer Day July 24

Utah's State Holiday

July 24, Pioneer Day is a Utah state holiday. On this day we celebrate the pioneers' settling in Salt Lake.

The 24th is a huge holiday for Utahns, even bigger than July 4th. There are more parades and fireworks displays during the Days of 47 celebrations than on the earlier holiday in the month celebrating the country's independence.

In 1847, a group of Mormon pioneers, led by Brigham Young, headed out on a journey across the land with covered wagons and handcarts, determined to make a life in the west. They began the journey because they were suffering religious persecution where they were living in Nauvoo, Illinois. It is said that as Brigham Young gazed out on the Salt Lake Valley on July 24, 1847, he proclaimed "This is the Place".

To make it through their first, most critical winter, they immediately planted crops so they could survive the winter, since they were all alone with no supplies or established trade route. They were inundated by a plague of crickets which started eating the crops and threatened thier survival. But just when hope seemed gone, the seagulls swarmed in and ate the crickets. It was proclaimed that the miracle was an act of God, and the seagull was designated the state bird.

The Mormon Pioneers, who originally named the area we now know as Utah, "Deseret", but the name was changed when they joined with the other states in the union and the state was officially named Utah.

For the 150 year anniversary (in 1997), a group of people made the trek from Nauvoo to Salt Lake City with handcarts and covered wagons and dressed in the traditional style.

David
DrDA Detox and Heal
435-616-5480 - dblack@dbresearchlc.com
Hello Healthy
No Stress
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!