Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: Shimmy, shimmy, wait, wait. Does this happen to you, too?
7/25/2006 8:21:36 PM

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaawn,

Oh, excuse me. I've just been waiting for the page to load. I nearly nodded off.

Darn, there's ANOTHER one of those annoying banners at the top of the page that covers up everything so I cannot read what I'm doing.

Oops, there's yet another picture of somebody that I have no interest in clicking on or talking to down in that bottom RHS corner. Who is next? I couldn't care less.

Cheri, I respect your opinion but I just have to agree with Dave. The new features are distracting, time-wasting and annoying. I simply don't have the time or patience for any of it. That's why I have been so scarce around here lately. I have far better things to do with my time than sit here and wait for pages to load and get annoyed with endless pop-ups.

Sorry, I know there have been a lot of changes recently and I know that they have been done in the interest of making things more interactive but... it ain't helping me. I have about as much interest in them as the never ending stream of Adlanders who email me with the "Best double matrix force fed downline integration system that will turn YOU into an overnight MLM millionaire - guaranteed!" Duh!

So, I'm just wondering about my future here. It doesn't seem to make any sense for me to keep coming here just to get frustrated and annoyed. Judging by the vastly reduced number of posts made in all the forums I guess I am just saying what a lot of others are thinking. Their actions speak louder than my words.

Hmm, just saw my own mug-shot in the "who is next?" frame. What is the point? I just don't get it. Could somebody please explain?

Gary 

+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/27/2006 12:38:17 AM

Hi, Gary

As you can see, I've been scarce too, but for different reasons.  So you're probably long gone and won't be back for a while to see my answer to you.

I guess the bottom line is, what value are you finding here?  If it's sufficient to overcome the annoyances, you stay.  If not, you go.  I for one would miss you, and hope that you would stay in touch through other means.

For myself, though I can't articulate what it is that I like about ALP in under a thousand words, suffice it to say that the annoyances are minor compared to what I find of value. 

That said, I do agree that for some reason I'm finding it more difficult to keep up my various conversations.  Whether that's because the load time has increased or because I'm simply busy with other projects and unable to devote the usual amount of time to it, I couldn't say.

The point of seeing your mug shot in the corner is that it gives me a heads up that you're online right now, and I can probably expect to hold a more-or-less realtime conversation with you in the forum.  I get the same value from the popups--for example I just caught Linda's post of a new thread and followed her there. 

Because I need to talk with her, and her email is notorious for filling up and overwhelming her, I also attempted to use the new-ish Chat tool.  I'd like to see that utilized more in certain circumstances, though it could certainly be a double-edged sword and I don't intend to make a habit of it.  Alas, she must have posted and run, as I didn't get an answer just then. 

Linda, if you're monitoring this thread, look for an email from me to your primary address...I've got business for you! lol. 

Cheri

+0
Ricardo Alcaraz

203 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/27/2006 5:28:02 AM

He-he-he ... and I thought this thing only happened to me.

Yeah, I get that here. Not often. But it does happen.

Guess I've learned to live with it.

Cheers!

Ricardo

+0
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
7/27/2006 6:21:18 AM

Hi Cheri,

I have reprieved my decision to leave. Hmm. Almost poetic.

I suppose I am going through some sort of male menopause, or something. Sometimes, I just get cranky over silly issues. The truth is I have always been intolerant of wasting time. The older I get the more precious my time is becoming. Hence, time-wasting is very high on my list of annoyances.

I spend far too much time here. If I put that into my own website then it would be a brontosaurus of a site. As it is, it is just a stegosaurus. But, it is people like you and Dave and Linda and Winston and Norm (the little Aussie bleeder) and some of the newcomers like Kim that lure me to stay. You guys talk sense.

Bogdan has allayed some of my recent frustration. Disabling those annoying pop-ups has certainly lengthened my fuse, so to speak. (Oh dear - there's an entry for Winston).

There are some really nice people here. But there are also some really dawky people who smash you with every dumb idea ever known to mankind. At the moment I am being inundated with so many emails that are nothing but... well, I'd like to use another word but CRAP seems so apt. I just don't see the point. It's crazy. 

To me, the voluminous number and the stupidity of the emails and "personal Messages" is like some sort of cyber assault. Some people send so many emails about so many different schemes and scams that it makes my head spin. If only they would commit to something worthwhile. The PM's are nothing but unadulterated rubbish. I checked over a dozen today and they are all the same - buy this, buy that, join my matrix - blah, blah, blah. Trash.

Oh well, sometimes the pressure valve just has to be used.

Gary

+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/27/2006 3:02:31 PM

Hi Gary

I definitely relate to the spending too much time here.  Maybe we should start ALP Anonymous?  I'm reading forums in my office instead of locating investment properties.  Boy, am I going to be sorry when there's no money to pay the bills, lol.

Funny what different thing push our buttons. Mine get pushed by inconsiderate drivers now that I have a 20-mile commute. 

Emails don't do it.  All emails with titles that sound like ads get deleted without a second thought.  Those that might be interesting get a look--long enough to see who actually sent it.  Some I read, others I delete at that point.  Doesn't take but a few minutes if I keep up.  If I'm gone for three days and didn't set the 'no notifications' vacation mode, then it takes hours.  I do wish I could set filters for certain words in my email, but haven't found a way yet.  Oh, well.

I'm going to definitely have to quit trying to post from here...the work computer keyboard doesn't like my typing style, slows me down to about half speed, lol.

Cheri

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!