Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re :What's wrong with using Free Hosting Sites?
7/12/2006 9:39:52 AM
 Would have to agree with Marianne that if you are going to start out with a free hosting service, then FreeWebs dot com is among the very best.

That includes easy to learn, easy to use, and ads are not plastered all over the page.

Wayne
+0
7/12/2006 10:18:02 AM
Hi Guys: I'd just like to add that if you're promoting anything...ANYTHING on the internet, the free sites are the way to go with regards to starting out and playing with HTML and all those fun internet goodies. But for heaven's sake don't make this your permanent home for your business. It's like selling geniune rolexes on the street next to the guy who sells "GENIUNE" rolexes on the street. By association, your credibility is shot and no one will buy anything from you. When you start to get serious about marketing online, the very first thing you should consider is paid web hosting and a domain name. These two things are important if you are to establish any business on the internet. Tell me, would you buy "Top of the line electronics and computer equipment" from: a) http://www.freehost.com/~FLACowboy4u/electronics/001.htm b) http://www.circuitcity.com Exactly. I paid $139.00 USD for my webhosting and got a $50.00 overture credit essentially bringing my cost for hosting down to $89.00. If your'e not willing to invest $89.00 into your business well...you shouldn't be in business. Add the $8.95 I spent at Godaddy.com for my domain name and for about 1 bill I have hosting and a domain for a year. Paid web hosting. It's not that cheap but it's worth it in the end. /RANT
+0
7/12/2006 10:22:13 AM

I'll try to clarify a few things here as to my original statement.

Most people sign up for free web hosting because it's free. They are not thinking of doing a business the right way at the beginning. They, as someone posted, would do this and not pay while they learn.

But, if they started learning the right way from the beginning they would not waste alot of time learning from limited resources. They would start earning from having control over their whole site. When it's free, you don't have that luxery.

Yes, people can upgrade and that is a good thing. That means they did one of the successful steps I mentioned; buying a domain name. This also removes all the banners and ads that the host earns income from. This is investing in your business.

But a large majority of people that start from a free service feel that they failed, because of no sales 'because' they had no traffic or interest to their site. They leave frustrated.

So far, each has said something that proves to have success you must invest in yourself. Pay for hosting and buy a domain name.

Thank you all for coming by.

Kenneth R Sword Jr

+0
Trina Sonnenberg

784 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
7/12/2006 11:57:34 AM
Free Web Hosting = Free Advertising... For The Other Guy
By Trina L.C. Schiller

Are you using free web hosting services for your Internet ventures? Did you know that free web hosting is an awesome Internet advertising solution...? It is, but not for you.

Is your free web host advertising your site for you? No, because you are not a paying customer. However, your web hosting service is making money, hand over fist, selling advertising on your site. How else could they afford to offer you something as valuable as storage, web space and bandwidth, for no charge?

Simply put... they couldn't.

Web hosting entails a serious financial commitment on the part of the server owner. Selling advertising on your free web site keeps Cheerios on the table, and a hefty balance in the bank; especially since they are giving away the web sites which run the ads they sell. (People, especially the novice, jump all over free, so web hosting companies, selling advertising, can offer plenty of exposure to their clients.)

Think about this: If your web hosting company is selling ad space on your site, why shouldn't you do the same? Because most free web hosting services have a handy little clause in their terms of service, disallowing the use of their service, by free clients, for commercial purposes. That's right! You can do whatever you like in the way of personal, or even charitable site creation, but you'd better not try to use your space to make any money for yourself. Unless you are referring new customers to the hosting company. Then they might throw you a bone.

So why not purchase your own domain, setting yourself apart from the rest of the world, pay to have it properly hosted, and sell some ad space of your own? Put some advertising dollars in your own pocket for a change.

Web hosting packages come in various sizes, at various cost; however, affordable web hosting, that serves your needs, can be found all over the place. Think of it as an investment in your business, a nominal one at that.

The average web site owner will do great with a web hosting company which offers the following services:
  • 100-300 MB storage
  • email accounts
  • MYSQL & CGI
  • PHP support
  • FTP accounts
  • Shopping carts
  • Autoresponders
  • Sub domain set up
These are the things to look for when shopping for a web hosting company. And don't fall for the, "unlimited bandwidth" pitch. Bandwidth costs money, and hosting services that promise unlimited bandwidth, do so knowing the typical client will not require much of it in the first place. Moreover, if you do start sucking up bandwidth, most will simply turn off your service, or charge you the overages, just like a cell phone service does.

Another consideration when shopping for web hosting is service. Make sure the company clearly states its support services, proceedures and contacts. You want to have a host that will be there if you run into a challenge, one that answers support requests in a timely fashion. (Beware the web host whose server is stored in the garage, next to the Yugo. It's your data... you wouldn't want to find out it took a walk with a local burglar, would you?)

Any way you look at it, you should STOP giving away advertising, which you have no control over, on your pages. Go get your own domain, own your own web site, and sell advertising for your own profit! Turn your web site into your own personal Internet advertising solution.

Copyright © 2005
The Trii-Zine Ezine
www.ezines1.com
Keywords: web hosting, web hosting services, web hosting company, internet advertising solution,

Trina L.C. Sonnenberg Freelance Commercial Writer TLC Promotions & The Trii-Zine Ezine ISSN 1555-2276 http://www.tlcpromotions.net http://trii-zine.com http://FAA.tlcpromotions.net
+0
7/12/2006 12:10:14 PM
--- Kennth Sword wrote: ------------------------ But, if they started learning the right way from the beginning they would not waste alot of time learning from limited resources. They would start earning from having control over their whole site. When it's free, you don't have that luxery. ------------------------------------------------ I couldn't agree more Ken. The free sites offer limited access to more advanced features such as databases, includes, etc. While this is stuff that you need not worry about in the beginning so much, later on you will probably have need of a database which the free hosts do not provide. (too expensive to offer as a free service) Having used some of these myself, I know first hand that there's not much you can do with them. Now you have the hassle of migrating all of your existing pages over to a new webhost when (notice I didn't say "if") you switch over to a paid one. From first hand experience, I know this doesn't always work well and it takes some tweaking to get folders and links working in unison again. Furthermore, if you mess up the transfer somehow without a back up copy of your site...well...I won't even go there. If at all possible, get yourself into a paid web hosting service and a domain name right away. Even if you don't use it all right now, chances are you will in the future. (I wonder if fishnets.com is taken..hmmm.) Mike
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!