Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Re: Meat-Mete what's for dinner???
6/5/2006 8:58:59 PM
Hi Mary, It's interesting to see that Australians are one of the biggest meat eaters. I know a lot of Australians that are from European backgrounds that eat meat 2 and 3 meals a day. It stems from not being able to eat it in their home country. My family is from Blato on the island of Korcula along the Dalmatian Coast. Blato was a poor farming community. The people had large families, and when the men in the family married, their brides all came to live with mum and dad and then they had children. My father often told me there would be 6 kids sleeping in one bed. It was difficult to feed the family with their produce and meat they could not afford. They would go to the markets and exchange their produce for a lamb or a piglet or a piece of beef so that they could have meat for Christmas. They would usually make soup, goulash or spaghetti as this way the meat went further and the whole family got to get some meat. When we arrived in Australia, my parents thought they had come to heaven, they couldn't believe that meat was eaten every day. They also couldn't believe that meat could be afforded every day either. I don't know about the gator and GatorAide, but GatorAide makes some kids act like gators. Have a nice day. Jadranka
+0
Nick Sym

23156 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 25 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/6/2006 12:06:23 AM
Hi Mary, Very, very nice article! I often think that with all the new potions and vitamins, green tea, black tea and coffee has man toned his body to all these 21st century diets. We are people of carnivorous nature since the beginning of time. Meat is pure protein and does taste a bit better than tofu. Yet now there are issues on carcinogenic material from barbequing meat on a hot grill from the drippings - What Next!
Breast Cancer Awareness On My Site! http://www.freewebs.com/nicksym Free exposure that works http://www.webbizinsider.com/Home.asp?RID=55242
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/6/2006 4:17:58 AM
Hi Jadranka, What a wonderful story you have shared with us. It is hoped that what we collect here will help us appreciate meat. This was the reason the casserole was invented....everyone could have a little meat in their meal. Do you have a word for "meat" from your native language. Does it mean flesh of animal and or meal as the old English.
+0
Mary Hofstetter

3481 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/6/2006 4:32:51 AM
Hello Nick, Glad you came and visited here. Yes, meat has many of the essentials needed for a balanced meal. Meat protein contains essential tissue building elements called amino acids. Meat is an excellent scource of vitamins and minerals. The list is quite extensive and many are disease prevention vitamins/minerals as well as good for building strong bodies. Of course a little meat fat is good for heat and energy. Because I am allergic to glycerin, it has the opposite affect-----I get sleepy. For some, vitamins are good to supplement whatever vitamin or mineral that might be needed in a little stronger dose. For those not taking the time to eat healthy, they cover their short comings with supplements. Do you have a word for meat in your language background?
+0
Ana Maria Padurean

4280 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 50 Poster
Person Of The Week
6/6/2006 11:38:11 AM
Hello Mary, I have to thank you for your invite, LOL (I mean the mail you've sent to me; without that I would have probably missed this) It is an interesting post; I have to do some research with this respect about us, Romanian, and about some recepies. I'll be back for sure! With friendship, Anamaria
+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!