Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
Re: The Da Vinci Code
6/24/2006 3:41:41 AM
Hi Donna, TV is something I try to ignore whenever it's on, unless it's on the history channel, the news (sometimes) or it's time for the Major League playoffs, the Seattle Mariners are playing, and I'm feeling lazy! Lol! God bless, Dave
+0
Linda Miller

3429 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Re :Re: The Da Vinci Code
7/7/2006 8:49:39 AM

Hey Dave,

I just found your thread on The Da Vinci Code.  Lots of discussion about this book and movie!

I have not read the book and I did see the movie a few weeks ago.  My husband and I thought it was very entertaining and that Tom Hanks was fabulous.  I really enjoyed the intrigue and suspense - and I recommend it to anyone.

That is a little to say a lot - I LIKED IT!  :)

Help us spread the message to the world... http://www.themessage2000.com/messengers/lindamiller Linda Miller 828-652-4714 Nebo, North Carolina
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/9/2006 3:19:34 AM

Hi Linda,

It seems that many people are finding the movie better than the book, although a lot of people have enjoyed the book, too.

What I have found most interesting is the furor over the so-called "facts" that Mr. Brown has presented.  There's nothing wrong with an interesting book;  there IS a problem with saying that something is true when it is so obviously false!

God bless,

Dave

+0
Jenny SJ

1902 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/9/2006 7:04:30 AM
Hello David, I've just found this thread. I am fascinated by all the fuss. It is a book, a work of fiction, which has turned out to be a great success for it's author. Katherine McCrae's post is pure common sense! ------------------------------------------------------- "My goodness, what is wrong with people who cannot separate pure fiction (the author made it clear) from fact?" ------------------------------------------------------- "I love history, and this book is nowhere close. Yet people treat it as if it were. They are just silly, I guess." -------------------------------------------------- Soemthing that bothers me a great deal in the "debate" that is going on all around the world about this book, is that there are people and institutions that want to surpress it because thy don't like it's content. The Vatican, amongst others, have protested vigorously etc etc, and Harry Potter - which is an excellent work of fictional fantasy was disapproved of at the beginning too. As the book does not incite anyone to violence, racial hatred or criminal acts, this sounds to me like supression of freedom to read. Do these people have so little confidence in the strength of their own beliefs that they are frightened of a work of fiction that questions it? Linda Carroll, I love your posts - you've managed to say a lot of things that I have been thinking far better than I could. what kind of society are we living in that questions our right to read what we choose? Supression of reading matter has always been high on the list of extremist regimes. Saludos Jenny
+0
Dave Cottrell

2802 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
7/10/2006 5:09:49 PM

Hi Jenny,

More and more I find myself in agreement with you on a variety of subjects!  I appreciate your common sense.

======================================================

As the book does not incite anyone to violence, racial hatred or criminal acts, this sounds to me like supression of freedom to read. Do these people have so little confidence in the strength of their own beliefs that they are frightened of a work of fiction that questions it?

======================================================

Now, that makes a lot of sense!  The problem, today, in my opinion, is that many people are very unsure of what they believe, as they have not taken the time to question what they believe to the point of where they are really sure.  Blind faith in anything is dangerous.  Reasonable faith can only come from digging and questioning what you believe;  reasonable faith is not afraid of being challenged, as any challenges should serve not to weaken it, but instead, to strengthen it, if, indeed, it is reasonable.

It is my choice what I decide to read.  If something happens to offend me, I don't have to read it, watch it, or listen to it!  Fighting to suppress something I disagree with would only bring more attention to it.  This, in fact, is what has happend to "The DaVinci Code."  All the negative press has been pure gold for Mr. Brown, and some of the best free advertising any writer could ever hope for.

God bless,

Dave

+0

facebook
Like us on Facebook!