Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
They'd punch you in the face...
5/14/2006 12:33:10 AM
Hi: Seth Godin posted a great image in his blog. (The image is by Hugh at gapingvoid.com) It said this; IF YOU TALKED TO PEOPLE THE WAY ADVERTISING TALKS TO PEOPLE THEY'D PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE lol. If you were ever to scroll through all the pages of my forum, you'd see occasional posts that are just thinly disguised ads. Once in a while, I leave them up to make a point. Notice no one bothers to respond? Notice no conversation ensues? Notice they NEVER lead to a sale? Online, we can't punch people in the face. And most of us don't lash out, because we know ranting just makes us look bad. So we ignore. I guess that's the Internet equivalent of a punch in the face? You think? L
+0
Gary Simpson

557 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Re: They'd punch you in the face...
5/14/2006 2:07:22 AM
Linda, I guess you could say that the silence towards these ads is deafening. Rather than a punch in the face I think most people would prefer to use a two word reply. The second word would be "off." Gary
+0
Mark Hodgetts

71 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
5/14/2006 3:54:26 PM
Hi Linda & Gary What is it that makes people think that a computer keyboard gives them a licence to be a/ stupid b/ rude and c/ label themselves as inept? Cheers Mark
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
5/15/2006 9:22:13 AM
Linda, I also liked the extended list next to the image. What amazes me is how rude people can be when they are protected by relative anonymity and the written word. Adland is reasonably civilized, at least in the forums where I participate. I've seen posts on other forum platforms that would leave me speechless with indignation if someone were to say those things to me face to face. On the other hand, maybe the world has changed since my values were formed. I can remember when certain four-letter words were never spoken in the presence of females, and now four-year-old females use them, having heard them from their mothers. But back to your original theme. I find it particularly unattractive when someone posts that they are 'leaving Adland forever' because people have ignored their ads, followed by a long, whiny pity-party. Oddly enough, they usually turn up again in a few days, weeks or even months. What short memories they must think we have! Cheri
+0
Kathy Kanouse

3270 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
5/15/2006 5:52:00 PM
Wow Linda I guess you could say I'm a little lost & yet I'm part way here. I like to respond to all forums even if it's just a thank you for the invite. At least people know I'm not ignoring them at all.
+0