Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: The Marshmallow Study
4/6/2006 9:20:34 PM
Linda David's post and your reply made me think about something I saw on TV the other night. Now, I'm not in the habit of watching TV except for Jazz games (basketball, for the uninitiated) and American Idol. But for some reason I got interested in an episode of The Nanny that came on after one of those other things. Have you seen it? Reality show, unfortunately much more real from what I saw than most of the ilk. Two little boys, four and three, had their parents completely buffaloed with their bad behavior. There was footage of them screaming, throwing things, talking back to their parents and generally making things miserable in a restaurant! Can't imagine why they hadn't been banned from every restaurant in town. They related that they went out at least three times a week! Can you imagine? Whose fault was all this? THE PARENTS'!!!!! How dare they inflict their dysfunctional family dynamic on the other patrons?! Thank goodness the nanny taught them how to take control back from those kids. And they didn't even have to beat them! Sorry, Linda, you pushed my rant button. Cheri
+0
Winston Scoville

536 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
4/6/2006 9:26:40 PM
Linda, Pretty much as Angela said for me as well. Angela, ========================================== "Is self discipline inherited or taught? I believe it is taught. Though some may say inherited because most people gain the habits (controls) of the elders around them." =========================================== To me they are the same thing, only one is being taught conciously and the other unconciously. Either way the child is learning a trait or habit.
+0
Donna Zuehl

2077 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/7/2006 12:38:46 AM
Very interesting study Linda. I think some children have more trouble than others controlling their impulses. However parents in these times seem to let children do as they please without offering consequences for inappropriate behavior. Perhaps left over from Dr. Spock's day? DonnaZ
+0
Deborah Skovron

2979 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Top 100 Poster
Person Of The Week
4/7/2006 11:34:11 AM
Hi Linda, I can't remember the study, but it was done in the seventies that said a lot of what our children develop into has to do with the socio-economic level of the parents while they were growing up. Some parents feel that by giving their children carte blache they are compensating for what they went without in their youth. Big mistake, this only leads to a I want, ergo I need attitude from the children. If parents step up to the plate early enough in their childrens lives and teach then even a modicum of self dicipline, most children will develop into responsible adults. Again, just a thought. Your Good Friend Deborah
BrandName Kidswear starting at $2.65. http://debs-kids.com 12 Page Book thats creating miracles...FREE http://www.debs-kids.com/star-thrower.pdf Where Money Grows Like Kids
+0
4/7/2006 1:51:27 PM
Hi Linda: Forgive me once again. I'm yoinking another Article From you....er...and...a marshmallow. :) Michael - Adlandpro Support and Marshmallow Quality Control.
+0