Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
The Marshmallow Study
4/6/2006 4:13:51 PM
I posted part of this in another thread, but it's buried on page 9, so thought I'd post it here to inspire thoughts... Article: The Marshmallow Study In the 60's, Stanford University psychology researcher Michael Mischel wanted to demonstrate how important self-discipline is. A group of 4 year old children were seated at tables. In front of each child was placed one jumbo, soft fluffy marshmallow. (a treat back then) The kids were told that they can eat the marshmallow right away if they want... but if they can wait 20 minutes, they can have two marshmallows. - About 1/3 gobbled the marshmallow right away. - Another 1/3 waited a bit, but couldn't last the full time. - Roughly 1/3 of the kids lasted 20 minutes and got two. Those kids were tracked for 20 years. As adults; ... the third that had waited the 20 minutes had more successful marriages, higher incomes, greater career satisfaction, better health, and more fulfilling lives than the other 2/3. ... the 1/3 that gobbled the marshmallow immediately were more troubled, stubborn and indecisive, mistrustful, less self-confident, and still could not put off gratification. They had trouble controlling immediate impulses to achieve long-range goals, resulting in unsucessful marriages, low job satisfaction & income, bad health and frustrating lives. Incredible. Are we "programmed" that young? Is self discipline inherited or taught? Can we develop self discipline if we lack it? How? If so, why don't we learn it? (ie; the other 2/3) Thoughts?
+0
Angela Cardwell

819 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
Re: The Marshmallow Study
4/6/2006 4:40:58 PM
Hi Linda, Great example.. Are we "programmed" that young? for the most part...Yes!....Studies in education show that the first 5 years of a childs life are the most important. Is self discipline inherited or taught? I believe it is taught. Though some may say inherited because most people gain the habits (controls) of the elders around them. Often a person will "change" their habits. It has a lot to do with "Will". Can we develop self discipline if we lack it? Yes! Of course, you have to want it. Just like stopping bad habits and gaining good habits. You are only limited by your own will power. If so, why don't we learn it? LOL! Yes, everyone always has room for improvement...I know I do...Changing habits you have had for umpteen years can be very difficult. I am very disorganized at times. Other times I'm good at it. Maybe I'm fighting for it and just haven't quiet mastered the "changeover"? That would be my guess, can't wait to see the other responses, Angela
Earn Money Shopping OnlineIt's free, simple and secure.
+0
Cheri Merz

1258 Posts
Invite Me as a Friend
Person Of The Week
4/6/2006 5:35:37 PM
Dear Linda, Yeah. What Angela said. Cheri
+0
4/6/2006 8:51:51 PM
Are we programmed that young or did we program our parents? I was helping this guy buy a computer today at the store I am working at and his young daughter (still in stroller) would take off her shoe, look at him and throw it on the floor. He would stop, put it back on her and fasten it up. She would look at him and a few monement later repeat. After the third time I said to him "boy she has you well trained how long did it take for her to teach you that?" The next time she took it off I picked it and put it in the back of the stoller and told her she could have it back when she was ready to leave. She never fused or cryed. She just gave me a look like I was crazy. Just a funny thought I thought I would pass on.
+0
4/6/2006 9:08:03 PM
Hey David; ========================================= Just a funny thought I thought I would pass on... ========================================= That's funny. Too true, too. (say THAT three times fast. lol) Perhaps children are born with no self discipline - but isn't it the parent's job to teach them some, instead of being ruled by their kids wants and demands? But then, that delves into parenting skills... a topic I've been vocal about more now and then. Heh.. : ) Linda
+0