Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
RE: 2016 Olympics
6/28/2016 10:02:52 PM
Naperville's Kevin Cordes headed to Rio Olympics

Another major rival has emerged for Kiwi swimmer Lauren Boyle in her quest for an Olympic Games medal.

Katie Ledecky of the United States celebrates after winning a final heat of the Women's 400 Meter Freestyle during Day 2 of the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team Swimming Trials at CenturyLink Center on June 27, 2016 in Omaha, Nebraska.

"I'm not looking for anything big, maybe just say semifinals at my first Olympic Trials", Roy says of his goals in Omaha.

"I'm probably more pumped for her race than mine", Ledecky said.

The 19-year-old from Maryland raced under world-record pace for the first seven laps but fell off her pace in the eighth and final 50 meters, touching six-tenths of a second shy of her 2014 world record with a time of 3 minutes, 58.98 seconds.

The crowd of more than 14,000 groaned a bit when the saw Ledecky's time, but it was still the third-fastest in history.

"My coach didn't give me any advice [before the swim]", Ledecky told NBC Sports after the race.

The USA Swimming Olympic trials continue on Tuesday, with four finals events and several preliminary events.

To those who have watched her swim circles around the competition, Katie Ledecky appears to have no peers in the pool.

But while this may be her first Olympics, it's not her first meet on the worldwide stage.

Kevin Cordes is also headed to Rio after winning the men's 100 metres breaststroke in 59.18, beating Cody Miller to the wall by.08 seconds. He finished third behind Chase Kalisz and Jay Litherland. "I was nowhere near making the team in 2012, it's been steady progress". The Americans are the defending Olympic champions but finished second to Great Britain at the FINA World Championships last summer.

Vollmer touched next in 57.21, giving her the second Olympic spot.

Amid all the hype around Ledecky, Missy Franklin, the four-time gold medalist in 2012, has somewhat faded into the background.

"I wanted to go 4:02 or 4:01 in this meet", Smith said. I felt like I didn't really use much legs, dragging them through the way.

Vollmer was the co-favorite heading into the 100 meter butterfly final after posting the best time in the semifinals on Sunday, but right behind her was Kelsey Worrell. "I still got second place and I'm going to Rio".

"I'm just so excited to be here", Worrell said.

But Lochte has his work cut out for him to earn an Olympic berth in Tuesday's final, and he's admittedly having trouble with his kicks and turns. Franklin finished fourth in the second heat, which was still good enough to get into the final. Chicago native Conor Dwyer leads the eight qualifiers into the finals with a time of 1:46.96.

Franklin, victor of four Olympic gold medals four years ago, put in a sluggish display but managed to scrape though to the final by clocking 1:00.45. I can look and see how far I've come or that I just barely missed it. "Every practice, I was just trying my damnedest to stay ahead of her".

Hannis came into the trials as the country's third-ranked swimmer in 100 breaststroke behind King and Katie Meili, who was second to Hannis in their semifinal.

Four years ago the same situation happened with the two events overlapping, and Omaha Police said they are ready to do it again. "There was a time when he actually asked Bob if I could back off a little bit".

"It keeps me honest", Gemmell said before a swim meet in May in Atlanta.

URL

+0
6/28/2016 10:05:23 PM
NBA stars Durant, Anthony headline 12-man U.S. Olympic team

Kyrie Irving took one last shot on the flight home from the NBA Finals, hoping LeBron James would play in the Olympics.

James isn’t going to Rio, and neither are many more of basketball’s best players.

The Americans think they’ll be just fine with who they have.

“We should be heavily favored,” Golden State’s Klay Thompson said. “I mean, 12 NBA stars, very unselfish guys, very versatile team, we definitely should be favored. It’s a disappointment if we don’t win gold.”

The U.S. selected the roster Monday, led by Kevin Durant and Carmelo Anthony, it hopes can do that for the third straight time.

Durant and Anthony are the only players with Olympic experience after a number of stars, including James, decided to skip Rio.

Also chosen were: Golden State’s Draymond Green and Harrison Barnes; Toronto’s Kyle Lowry and DeMar DeRozan; Indiana’s Paul George; Chicago’s Jimmy Butler; Sacramento’s DeMarcus Cousins and the Clippers’ DeAndre Jordan.

Irving was the MVP of the 2014 Basketball World Cup on a U.S. team that included Thompson, Cousins and DeRozan and easily won gold.

The Americans should roll into Rio as the favorites. Yet they won’t look as imposing as expected after the withdrawals of NBA MVP Stephen Curry and All-Stars such as Russell Westbrook, Chris Paul and James Harden.

“As far as the talent goes and the level of play, I’m pretty sure that that’s still going to be the same,” Anthony said. “We don’t have as many of the big-name guys that we’ve had before, but I think so far this is a great group of guys and they’re hungry. They want to play.”

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo said having a national team pool, which he began in 2005, always has the Americans ready for player losses. There were 31 players in this year’s and he had to go deep into it — and eventually even beyond it — to find 12 as the usual factors that can knock players out were joined by the Zika virus and other concerns in Brazil.

Anthony said he talked to doctors and people who have been to Brazil about the risks of the mosquito-borne virus.

“Prior to this year, in the past we dealt with things like free agency, injuries, personal issues that might prevent someone from moving forward. This year it was exacerbated by circumstances beyond anyone’s control, and that was the reality, the speculation and the circumstance in Rio,” Colangelo said. “So somewhat more challenging, but at the end of the day, and this is important: This is not about who isn’t here, this is about who is here.”

Anthony becomes the first U.S. men’s basketball player to appear in four Olympics. Durant set a U.S. record by averaging 19.5 points in London and also was the MVP when the U.S. won the 2010 world championship.

“Shoot, when you’re playing with the best players in the world, it makes it easy,” Durant said. “I’m just going out there and playing my game. They take all the pressure off of me.”

Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski will coach the Americans for the third and final time, tying Henry Iba’s team record. He will lead a team with strong NBA credentials — nine were All-Stars this season — but a little short on international experience after the withdrawals.

URL

+0
6/28/2016 10:07:23 PM
This is what the 2016 Rio Olympics medals look like

The gold, silver and bronze Olympic and Paralympic medals for the Rio Olympic Games.

The Rio Olympic organizers seem to want everyone to know that despite the Zika concerns, filthy water venues and corruption investigations surrounding infrastructure projects, the Olympic Games will continue as scheduled this August.

With 52 days to go until the Opening Ceremonies, the organizers unveiled the design of its Olympic medals Tuesday in a ceremony attended by International Olympic Committee President Thomas Bach.

“Today marks the start of the final countdown to the first Olympic Games to be staged in South America,” Bach said at the event.

+0
6/28/2016 10:12:09 PM
With family cheering, hurdler Keni Harrison eyes Olympics

This October 2010 photo provided by the Harrison Family shows family members posed at Marine Corps boot camp graduation at Parris Island, S.C. Back row from left are Cory, JoJo (graduate), Hyung and Mitch. Front row from left are Gary (father), Victor, Bo, Kara, Kipp, Tasha, Gabi, Casey, Francisca, Keni and Karon (mother). Before they were married, Karon Harrison made it clear to her husband she really didn't want any children. So the couple ended up with 11, nine of which are adopted, including American 100-meter hurdle record holder Keni Harrison. (Courtesy of Harrison Family via AP) MANDATORY CREDIT
+0