Menu

error This forum is not active, and new posts may not be made in it.
Promote
The 50s
6/2/2016 4:38:49 AM
I was born in the mid 50s; music (radio, record player [33rpm & ? not 45s escapes me a this moment - they were played on a crank up Victor], a cappella singer(s) ~ my favorite, church choirs, ...

Heavens Gates Remembering The 50s

Presents

Down That Fabulous 50s Nostalgia Lane

Do You Remember
These Fabulous 50s Memories

In the kitchen on the wall we only had one phone, And no
need for recording things, someone was always home.

Flashback Visit

+0
African American Celebrity & Civil Rights: 1946-1960
6/2/2016 4:50:00 AM
The postwar years was the era of the integration of America's professional sports. Jackie Robinson, Althea Gibson, Bill Willis and others became household names. Black movie stars made had significant cultural milesones during the decade, while television appearances remained typed and relatively rare. Music, particularly rock and roll, had a unifying influence on the youth culture of America. The postwar era coincided with congressional anti-Communism investigations, and black writers and performers were investigated for having expressed sympathy for an ideological that did not tolerate racism.

Football was integrated in 1946. That year, 4 black athletes took to the professional gridiron. Bill Willis, playing for the Cleveland Browns, is considered to be the first black starter in football. Marion Motley played for the Browns that year, while Kenny Washington and Woody Strode played for the Los Angeles Rams. Strode would go on to a career in film.

+0
Coming Out In The 1950s
6/23/2017 1:44:13 AM
Published on Jan 19, 2011

Teens interview gay elders about coming out in the 1950s

YouTube

+0
RE: Coming Out In The 1950s
6/23/2017 1:46:18 AM
OLD BOYS - a film about older LGBT people

+0
RE: Coming Out In The 1950s